Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Fourth World Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Loved this book and would have loved for it to have continued also!  

I revisit it every couple of years. My preferred reading order is The New Gods Baxter reprints, Hunger Dogs GN, JB's New Gods, JK4W and then Walter Simonson's Orion. I pretty much ignore anything done with these characters after Orion ended. Would love to buy a nice collection of all of JB's work on these characters.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
I've been reading Jack Kirby's Fourth World (starting with the Jimmy Olsen issues) and I'm amazed that he did something this wildly inventive at 53 years old!
I think Kirby's relative maturity enriched The Fourth World. The concerns of a man far into middle age, darkened by disappointment and the general tenor of the times, applied with a talent for world-building already honed by a decade in collaboration with Stan Lee at Marvel, created a work whose depth and unity surpassed the Marvel Universe. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Have there been any TPBs of JB's Fourth World series? I've seen a TPB of Walt Simonson's Orion series (part of it anyway), but that's it.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think Kirby's relative maturity enriched The Fourth World. The concerns of a man far into middle age, darkened by disappointment and the general tenor of the times, applied with a talent for world-building already honed by a decade in collaboration with Stan Lee at Marvel, created a work whose depth and unity surpassed the Marvel Universe. 

Very well said and I agree about the depth and unity of the Fourth World. Not sure I totally agree that it surpassed what he did depth-wise at Marvel, but his DC art around that time (Fourth World titles, Kamandi, Demon) is my favorite period of Kirby's art. The man was creatively on fire at an age where most creators are resting on their laurels and doing the same things they'd always done.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Adam, there are several different Fourth World collections, but there is a 1500 page one that comes out in December you might want to wait for as it seems to collect everything.

"In honor of this extraordinary talent’s centennial, DC Comics is proud to present an all-new edition of this towering achievement in graphic literature. THE FOURTH WORLD BY JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS collects, for the first time in a single hardcover volume, Kirby’s complete chronicles from the pages of SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN, THE NEW GODS, THE FOREVER PEOPLE and MISTER MIRACLE, as well as the climactic graphic novel THE HUNGER DOGS. This transformative tome also includes illuminating essays from acclaimed author (and former Kirby apprentice) Mark Evanier and celebrated comics talent Walter Simonson, as well as a special section of Kirby pencils, profiles, pinups and more!

Collects SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and #141-148, THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, THE NEW GODS #1-11, MISTER MIRACLE #1-18, NEW GODS (REPRINT SERIES) #1-6, DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4: THE HUNGER DOGS and WHO’S WHO: THE DEFINITIVE DIRECTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #2-3, #6, #8-18, #20, #22 and #25."

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-World-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/14 01274757 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks Shane,

Looks lovely, but I was wondering about collections of JB's Fourth World series, not Kirby's work. 

(I am wondering what was in the NEW GODS reprint series that wasn't in the original run. And if removing the WHO'S WHO entries could've shaved a little off the price...)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adam, all of issue #6 was new in that baxter reprint series and served as a lead-in to the Hunger Dogs GN.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sorry, Adam. I somehow missed the JB in that sentence. I wish they would do an omnibus of JB's New Gods run. Or even release it in a few TPBs. Either way, I'd be happy.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There seems to be a real lack of collections from JB's latter stuff at DC from his four issues wrapping up the New Gods comic to Jack Kirby's Fourth World to Blood of the Demon to Wonder Woman to Superman and Batman: Generations 3. I know they recently put out a Byrne Wonder Woman collection (likely because of the movie) but it would be great to see the rest of this stuff get collected. Or better yet, all of it! They can start with a Generations Omnibus collecting all three series as the first two Generations TPB's are OOP, although I'd settle for just a TPB of Generations 3. Then I'd like to see his New Gods and Blood of the Demon stuff collected and finish off the Wonder Woman collections. Although more likely we'll see the rest of the Wonder Woman run collected as the one just released was Vol. 1 and I'm fine with that too. I just hope we someday see collections of the rest of that stuff because it's all great.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I see this is coming--

DC Universe by John Byrne Hardcover – December 19, 2017

by John Byrne (Author)

Legendary creator John Byrne's hard-to-find works at DC are now collected here in their entirety in this deluxe edition hardcover: DC UNIVERSE BY JOHN BYRNE!

During the 1980s, John Byrne revolutionized the comics industry with his genre-defining reboot of Superman in the MAN OF STEEL series, as well as his work with the Amazon Warrior in WONDER WOMAN. However, it was his work as a writer and artist on the other heroes and villains in the DC Universe that solidified his place as one of the legends at the imprint. With tales featuring Batman, Green Lantern, the Atom and Hawkman, John Bryne's stories are some of the greatest ever told!

This hardcover graphic novel collection includes UNTOLD LEGEND OF BATMAN #1, NEW TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #2, OUTSIDERS #11, GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #3, SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #1, WORLD OF SMALLVILLE #1-4, SUPERMAN ANNUAL #2, WORLD OF METROPOLIS #1-4, POWER OF THE ATOM #6, CHRISTMAS WITH SUPER HEROES #2, GREEN LANTERN: GANTHET'S TALE #1, THE FLASH 80-PAGE GIANT #1, BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #2, DC COMICS PRESENTS: HAWKMAN #1, DCU BRAVE NEW WORLD #1 and DCU INFINITE HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1.

Written by JOHN BYRNE, CARY BATES, LARRY NIVEN, MARV WOLFMAN, PAUL KUPPERBERG, ROGER STERN and others
Art by JOHN BYRNE, JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, KURT SCHAFFENBERGER and others
Cover by JOHN BYRNE

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 October 2017 at 7:58pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is coming too. Looks pretty close to the material that was in Superman: World of Krypton. Same exact page count but I note some slight differences in the issues it contains at least according to the description on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Worlds-Krypton-John-Byrne/dp /1401278892/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 &refRID=B9ATJSMFTZZJF0QPCRT4

Witness the violent past of Superman's homeworld in SUPERMAN: THE MANY WORLDS OF KRYPTON!

Witness the violent past of Superman's homeworld in SUPERMAN: THE MANY WORLDS OF KRYPTON! 

Long before the last Kryptonian patrolled the skies of Metropolis, there was an alien world doomed to fall. Written by comics legends John Bryne, this prequel tale to the Superman mythology examines the Krypton's ancient past and how it connects to the Man of Steel we know today! This new edition of the classic series features many characters and elements in the upcoming SyFy show, KRYPTON! 

Collects SUPERMAN #233, #236, #238, #240, #248, #257 & #266, SUPERMAN FAMILY #182, WORLD OF KRYPTON #1-3 an WORLD OF KRYPTON #1-4.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I picked up the new collection of Kirby's MISTER MIRACLE and I am really enjoying finally getting to read these classic issues!  I have read his JIMMY OLSEN work and enjoyed various NEW GODS stories through the years by Byrne, Simonson, and others, but it's really something to be finally reading the earliest stories.

I am struck by a couple of things:

1. The first few issues had very exciting covers, full of hyperbole.  After issue 7 or so, they got toned down somewhat--some were even "quiet" scenes.  I wonder if the sales reflected any change.  But it really seems that Kirby (who was also editor of the book and therefore, I assume, totally in charge of what went on the covers) was trying to outdo Stan Lee himself with all the cover blurbs on those earliest issues.

2.  Vince Colletta inked the first four issues--and they looked great!  I always liked his inks on Kirby's THOR a few years earlier, but I will admit some of that was "scratchy" (like he was trying to do pencil strokes with a pen).  Here though, there's a lot of detail and fine lines--it even reminds me of Terry Austin in a lot of places!  (Not backgrounds--if he had any help--but in figure work like hair and Granny Goodness' face.)  There's a realistic aspect to Colletta's inks on Kirby's shadows and clothes, etc.; by contrast, Mike Royer takes over with issue 5 and that's when people start to look a little weird and objects look a little plastic.  I understand people's gripes against Colletta, but if he's leaving stuff out here, there must have been a LOT to begin with!  I wonder--on THOR and especially here--did Colletta just TRY harder on KIrby?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version