Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Optimum vs Disney Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Disney has asked cable distributor Altice USA (Optimum) for hundreds of millions of dollars in new fees to continue offering ESPN and ABC. (despite the fact that the move will hurt Disney’s ratings, which have already been on the decline.)

The contract between the two runs out at the end of the month, so they're working hard to reach a new deal that appeases both parties. The blackout will occur starting on Oct. 1 if the deal isn’t reached:

People are dropping cable faster than ever, so their solution is to raise prices??

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2017 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This affects me since I have Optimum. IMO, the cable and satellite TV companies should look into building new cable boxes that can be used as either cable TV boxes and OTA digital receiver boxes at the flip of a switch. This way the cable and satellite TV providers don't have to pay the OTA networks a fee to carry their channels since they wouldn't be carrying said channels (unless the networks wanted them to carry their channels for free) and viewers would still be able to watch the free OTA regular TV networks without having to buy a separate OTA digital box (they would most likely still need an OTA digital antenna).
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DirectTV is having a similar issue with FOX, apparently. I know because I can't watch anything on FOX without there being a big blue crawl that takes up way too much space on the screen telling me about it. And I have Comcast, so I couldn't care less.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Optimum and Disney have reached an agreement.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/altice-and-disney-stymied-as-car riage-talks-go-down-to-the-wire-1202180177/
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version