Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Question for Mr. Byrne - who’s caricaturing whom? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mr. Byrne, you noted:
"A hard truth is that most artists turn into caricatures of themselves."

I can think of one or two possible exceptions, but that's only to my untrained eye.

Could you please go into a little more detail as to how you think artists caricature themselves? I wonder at the difference between "maturing" and "caricaturing" in your opinion.

In your own case, there is little doubt (to me, anyhow) how your early artwork differs from your most recent work. I can see how aspects have gotten sharper by smoothing off some rough edges*, but if I compare, for example, your X-Men work with your Generations work, I don't see anything in that modern work that... I dunno, I suppose "taunts" the early work.

Very obviously you do. I don't need you to identify such in your work... but might I ask you to expound a bit, please? Thanks in advance!

*Yes, I know it's an oxymoron. You come to ME if you need an expert on types of morons...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

I already stated that artists become caricatures of themselves as their particular ticks become more and more prominent. No need to name names.
Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version