Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: MAYBE the next Superman film will be good? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

http://collider.com/man-of-steel-2-matthew-vaughn-superman-m ovie/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial& ;utm_medium=social

This gives me some degree of, um, hope. 
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like Vaughn as a director but Superman is a bit problematic when it comes to making a movie about him in the modern age. The character works best as an icon of hope and goodness but modern audiences prefer damaged and flawed characters in the vein of Batman. Man of Steel tried to push him in that direction a bit and it just doesn't work because that isn't who the character is.

Hopefully, between Joss Whedon reportedly giving Justice League a slightly lighter tone with his work on it and Vaughn potentially coming on a Man of Steel sequel, they can move things back in the direction he belongs. Whether or not audiences will embrace a more traditional Superman is another thing.

On a related side note, they did a pretty good job with Superman on Supergirl as they managed to capture the essence of the character.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

but modern audiences prefer damaged and flawed characters in the vein of Batman

------

Except the top DCEU movie is WONDER WOMAN. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That's not even a news story. It's all speculation teed off of Vaughn's spit-balling -- he's one of probably more than a hundred directors interviewing about possibly taking over Superman. 

Every paragraph begins with "if, "might," "would," "possible," "one imagines" type speculation. Unfortunately, articles like this can't even be dismissed as unprofessional nonsense since they represents the deplorable state of the norm of contemporary entertainment "journalism." 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'll believe it when I see it.
It feels like Superman has become a character that neither DC or Warner Bros knows how to handle.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The fact that brighter, more lighthearted Marvel films, including the Captain America films, are doing gangbusters while DC's murky, bleak one-note movies have been struggling shows that the common 'wisdom' that grim and gritty sells is now completely wrong.  As does the success of Wonder Woman, where DC started to move more in that direction.

If the suits at WB make this same connection, and let Matthew Vaughn make his movie, this could be good. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I rate Vaughn as a director highly. If he gets the gig, the prospects for a decent movie will be raised.

I'm not sure Superman is that problematic -- the bar has been set so low for so long, that delivering a half-decent Superman movie will be viewed as a success in comparison.

As far as modern audiences rejecting straight-shooting, truly heroic characters, I would point to Harry Potter for a start. Last year's biggest grossing film was Captain America: Civil War. Beauty and the Beast is this year's biggest film, which they managed to do without having a damaged, flawed Belle.

Edited by Peter Martin on 20 September 2017 at 12:15pm

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For the first half of Man of Steel I thought they had figured it out but having
Superman kill Zod and the battle taking place in the City was too much.

Maybe I should watch the Krypton TV show. My favorite part of EVERY
superman movie has been the scenes on Krypton.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ugh... MAN OF STEEL got almost everything wrong in terms of characterization. Pa Kent was particularly wrong, telling Clark he probably should let a bus full of children die to protect his secret. Superman actually takes the battle with Zod to the heart of Smallville, and of course the battle on Metropolis,  where Superman doesn't seem to concern himself with the collateral damage being caused by his fighting Zod. And, yeah, the breaking of Zod's neck was very wrong, too. In the comics, at least before the new crop of writers, Superman would have found a way to end the battle without killing anyone himself. 

Unless Superman becomes a raging psychopath in the next solo film, I can't see him being portrayed much worse.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The fact that Vaughn would love to reboot Fantastic Four for Fox perked my interest more than him doing Superman...

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think what MAN OF STEEL gets right is the epicness and magnitude of Superman's power. The problem is that he should have been using them to contain Zod's destruction, not add to it. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think it got Superman's fisherman credentials about right. Nothing else.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

MATT: Unless Superman becomes a raging psychopath in the next solo film, I can't see him being portrayed much worse.

--

That's pretty much how he was portrayed in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, so...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Concerning the thread title, "maybe" is the best friend of the studio.  MAYBE they'll get Batman right.  MAYBE they'll do Suicide Squad right.  MAYBE the next Superman film will be good.  

So you'll pony up your hard earned cash to see if "maybe" is actually a reality despite the fact that with but one exception (arguably for some, WONDER WOMAN, and discounting the out-of-continuity Nolan films) DC hasn't gotten a single one of their characters "right" for a very long time. 

Sorry.  Fool me once.  Fool me twice. Fool me three times. Now it's up to them.  I won't pay for JUSTICE LEAGUE (no matter that it has Gal Gadot as WW) and I won't get my hopes up for a good SUPERMAN film until I read some reviews and talk to people I trust who have seen it. Otherwise...YAWN!!!!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

With fans blinding themselves to everything wrong with WONDER WOMAN, I can only imagine there is somebody deep in the bowls of the DCEU thinking We've made so many BAD movies the fans are reaching a point of starvation. They will accept ANYTHING as good!!

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I just can't figure out why so much of WONDER WOMAN's audience wasn't as bored as I was with the story. The damn thing draaaaaagged.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version