Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Phoenix Resurrection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Um... I hope I don't come across as too pedantic, but... how is Wolverine dead and old Logan alive?

And when did Cyclops and Professor X die?

And when - as it seems inevitable - Phoenix destroys Earth, how will it matter? (Okay, that was speculation. About a planet devouring entity that basically is a starving dog living on a giant pot roast.)
Back to Top profile | search

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A Phoenix-possessed Cyclops killed Prof-X during the Avengers vs X-Men event. Cyclops died due to the Inhuman Terrigen mist during Death of X. Old Logan came to mainstream Earth at the end of last Secret Wars. Wolverine died in  "Death of Wolverine",
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

sigh

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Now they're bringing Wolverine too.

Did I read correctly? Will there really be four Wolverines in the MU ("Old Man Logan, Logan from "Days of Future Past", Wolverine and a female Wolverine)??

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seriously!  Is this just a copyright thing?  Most of these characters are fifty years old or older--are they giving us multiple Wolverines, Hulks, Thors, Captains America, Spider-Men, etc. just to mess with copyright & trademark law?  If the trademark on Bruce Banner/Hulk runs out in twenty years, does the trademark on Amadeus Cho/Hulk extend for another 55 years after that?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
If the trademark on Bruce Banner/Hulk runs out in twenty years, does the trademark on Amadeus Cho/Hulk extend for another 55 years after that?

Trademarks do not have a finite term like copyrights do.  They can be maintained indefinitely if the mark remains in continuous use.  Conversely, they expire if the mark is not used for a sufficient period (I believe it's ten years).  So (assuming the law does not change) the contents of Hulk #1 from 1962 will enter public domain in 2057.  But the Hulk character itself will likely still remain under trademark protection.  It's sort of like the situation we have with Captain Marvel now.  Marvel owns the trademark to the name (since Fawcett lost it due to lack of use).  DC owns the trademark to the original character's costume and other distinctive features (eg the word Shazam).  But the original stories published by Fawcett are in public domain, due to Fawcett's failure to file copyright extension after the initial 28-year term expired.

So it's unlikely any of these variant characters have anything to do with copyright.  It's simply a dearth of creativity along with the existing audience's demand for masturbatory self-referentiality.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Logan from "Days of Future Past"

--

A walking Adamantium skeleton?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Manuel Soler wrote:
...A Phoenix-possessed Cyclops killed Prof-X during the Avengers vs X-Men event. Cyclops died due to the Inhuman Terrigen mist during Death of X. Old Logan came to mainstream Earth at the end of last Secret Wars. Wolverine died in  "Death of Wolverine",...

Hypothetical: A young person is first exposed to the X-Men through the films and decides to go to a comic shop to check out the comic books and see if they might interest him into getting into the comic books as a regular thing. This person then runs into the mess Manuel described above and thinks, "Screw this mess, I'll stick with the films."

Yep, even as messed up as Fox's "X-Men" movies are, they are still nowhere near the convoluted incestuous nightmare the comics have sadly become. Ugh.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The worst thing a potential new reader has to face, Matt, is those stores inhabited by ennui-engorged fanboys who will tell him/her that in order to appreciate the latest issue of CAPTAIN FONEBONE, s'he'll have to read this, and this, and this, and this......

And, sadly, many times that will be true!!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The worst thing a potential new reader has to face, Matt, is those stores inhabited by ennui-engorged fanboys who will tell him/her that in order to appreciate the latest issue of CAPTAIN FONEBONE, s'he'll have to read this, and this, and this, and this......And, sadly, many times that will be true!!

You can count me in as a fairly new reader I was a very casual reader as a kid in the 80s and started trying to read modern comics about a 3 years ago. I just cannot get into the books. They're so difficult to read. It's not even having to read previous issues to catch up. It's the fact that they're so confusing in that art can be messy and they're written as if they're for TV not comics. I just want a simple story where I can follow the hero on his journey. Good vs evil. Done.

I thought it was my age and I should just realise I've grown out of comics but I really enjoy the 80s back issues I've bought. I can get straight into the story even if I'm in the middle of some big storyline that has previously  gone on for 3 issues even without a footnote telling me something happened in issue 247. The story and art is easy to follow and I don't feel I need to buy the next issue to get a full story. Good times.

PS. sorry for the missive.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Like I've said, if they gave me the keys to the kingdom, the first thing I'd do is forbid any reference to any story that was more than two years old, origins excluded.

I can see the temptation for writers. I'm imaging an alternate universe where I get asked to write Alpha Flight. There is only one route I'd want to take and that is to continue from issue 28 and imagine that nothing else has happened but then that would be me writing as a fan - anyone both in the last 20-odd years would simply have no interest in the book.

(In fairness to Greg Pak's so so 12 issue run of AF, the most recent, where he brought the classic line up back together, at least he made little reference to the original JB run, or certainly no reference that would have put off a new reader.)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The worst thing a potential new reader has to face, Matt, is those stores inhabited by ennui-engorged fanboys who will tell him/her that in order to appreciate the latest issue of CAPTAIN FONEBONE, s'he'll have to read this, and this, and this, and this......

And, sadly, many times that will be true!!

It's funny.  When I didn't HAVE to buy everything, I DID buy everything.  Now that all the crossovers FORCE you to buy everything, I decide instead to buy NOTHING.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version