Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Phoenix Resurrection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Finally bringing adult Jean back?  Never would have thought it would take this long.  Plain Jean never bored me.  That's my Jean and she was back that way, a couple of hints aside, for about 15 years.  Until Grant Morrison got hold of her.

I'm having trouble seeing many of the posts.  The part where the message is located is blacked out.  I can see the bottom of the post where it says profile and search, not the actual message.  Maybe half the posts are this way.  I use google chrome.  Is there some issue with that browser?  I have never had this problem until the last couple days.
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't like the coloring job that was done for cover on the first post of this thread - I think the original version of the art is stronger.

I was lucky enough to read the Dark Phoenix issues off the rack - not all of them, just #136 and #137 at first. After getting hooked on X-Men by reading a smattering of JB and Cockrum issues from my brother's comics. #136 was the first one I bought myself off the spinner. I was thrust into a wild story.

I didn't get the full story until the trade was released, but even without the preceding issues, it was an amazing story and it had a huge impact on me. It's still a touchstone to me.

I didn't visit comic shops or conventions back then - it was just addictive reading. I guess I was lucky to have my brother's issues to read.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Larry,i use Chrome and have no problems.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Datzko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"I don't like the coloring job that was done for cover on the first post of this thread - I think the original version of the art is stronger."

Tim- agreed! The attempted re-colorings (including the omnibus editions) take so much away from the original art. Art is best understood when it is preserved as it was originally intended. That goes for writing too, re: the repeated stabbings at the "Dark Phoenix Saga Vol. 2". The story's novelty has become completely diluted.

Let's bring Jean back! But let's, also, be daring enough to create new stories for her! 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Let's bring Jean back! But let's, also, be daring enough to create new stories for her!

••

First, get a deathray and go wipe out all the anal-retentive fans and fans-turned-pro and ennui-engorged-pros-who-pretend-they-are-not-fans who don't WANT anything new. New would mean there was stuff happening they don't ALREADY KNOW.

Richard Datzko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"First, get a deathray and go wipe out all the anal-retentive fans and fans-turned-pro and ennui-engorged-pros-who-pretend-they-are-not-fans who don't WANT anything new. New would mean there was stuff happening they don't ALREADY KNOW."

••

Let's do it!! 

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Larry,i use Chrome and have no problems.>>>

I guess it's not the browser.  I checked with my phone which also uses chrome.  No problem.  Must be the device.  A chromebox.  Never had a problem with it before though.  Over years.  Weird.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2017 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel's craeativity dried up the moment the editors and stockholders took control.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB (And, yes, I did stories that reference events a lot more than two years old. There's a learning process.)

But you did it with style and integrity, John Byrne. And this made a big difference.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB (And, yes, I did stories that reference events a lot more than two years old. There's a learning process.)

But you did it with style and integrity, John Byrne. And this made a big difference.

••

Thanks. But I still think it's a mistake to reach too far back. Some writers fall into the trap of seeming unable to even come up with stories, unless they are digging up the past. "Archeologists", as Julie Schwartz called them.

Especially bad when the reason for revisiting the Past is "deconstruction".

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You're so right , John Byrne. 

IMO "deconstruction" is mostly just a fancy way to say "destruction". And a rose by any other name... :(

Edited by Dale Lerette on 23 September 2017 at 7:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

With adult Jean Grey, the writers will explode/explore her angst and her out of place situation with so many changes since she died. Mainly Cyclops, Prof-X and Wolverine are dead and the presence of young X-Men plus old Logan.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version