The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Hypersexualization of Women in Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

…or, god help me, a neck…

••

I found the neckless Thing one of the harder parts about drawing him. There were certain angles where I had to cheat like crazy to avoid showing his neck.

Eventually I realized it was best treated as if Ben's head was "resting" on his shoulders, like a bowling ball on the back of a sofa.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was under the impression that the color scheme to this new Captain
Marvel costume/uniform was to emulate the British Marvel Man/Miracle
Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Joe, it's slightly reminiscent of Captain Mar-vel's second costume as well.

Marvelman... Captain Marvel... they really ARE out of ideas, aren't they? Why is the company that professes diversity so anxious to DE-diversify (deverisfy?) an established female character? I realize that pre-whatever-the-hell-crossover brought about this costume that some artists were being overly generous to Ms. Marvel... so one could certainly hypersexualization,.

And lest you younger viewers and other children forget, she was MS. Marvel because "Ms." was a statement of female independence back in the 70s. Today it's just a joke, but when Ms. Marvel was introduced, she was intended to shake up the male status quo (along with Spider-Woman, She-Hulk*... yeah, there's a trend there.)

Now, if I understand correctly, Ms. Marvel is a teen-aged Muslim girl with entirely different powers? No doubt so named because they have to cash in on SOMETHING, and a new character likely would sell like rubber biscuits at the Donner Party family reunion picnic.

And anyone who is hypersexualizing an adolescent Muslim girl has far worse problems than comics. Not that comics are a problem, but I think you see my point.

Oh, and one last observation... short hair on a woman probably means lesbianism about as strongly as long hair on a man. And everyone knows that Jesus fellow was gay. (Referencing a totally different topic, but... as long as it was laying there...)

*Say, are Jessica and Jen still referred to as Spider-Woman and She-Hulk? I couldn't be surprised if they're not.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marvelman is a British created character from the 1950s. Created to replace Fawcett's Captain Marvel when that company stopped making comics. The character was revived in the 80's by Alan Moore and published as Miracleman in the USA.. Through various shenanigans involving Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarland, Marvel now owns the rights but is doing little with them. 

I don't think the costume is supposed to look like Miracle/Marvelman, but is as you said is a take on Mar-Vell's second costume. 

I do find it funny that Marvel had a black female character called Captain Marvel for years, yet chose to make a white female character their new Captain Marvel and promoted it as a great step forward, in what seems was preparation for their movie line. But hey. who doesn't love a pretty blonde?

Edited by Mike Norris on 15 September 2017 at 9:16pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do find it funny that Marvel had a black female character called Captain Marvel for years, yet chose to make a white female character their new Captain Marvel and promoted it as a great step forward, in what seems was preparation for their movie line. But hey. who doesn't love a pretty blonde?
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

Me. I would much rather have had Monica Rambeau in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. A much more interesting character with what would have been a visually unqiue set of powers.

Carol on the other hand has always been really dull to me, and borderline irritating. In fact the recent changes to her have put me off her character even more. Of all the female characters Marvel could have chosen to build a film around, it baffles me why they chose her.

I would much rather see the She Hulk or Janet Van Dyne in the Avengers spotlight.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would rather there weren't half a dozen Captain Marvels in my comic-reading experience.  (Monica Rambeau would probably be a big deal at this point if she had been created as a totally fresh character.)  I hate borrowed/recycled names/costumes/personas.  No matter what you think of "Ms." at least Ms. Marvel had her own identity.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would rather there weren't half a dozen Captain Marvels in my comic-reading experience.

------

Marvel is renewing the trademark to keep DC from snatching it up. What are you going to do?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What Jason said...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Marvel is renewing one of several Captain Marvel characters and trademarks. So what am I going to do?

SPLIT! :D :D :D

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I hate borrowed/recycled names/costumes/personas.  
I don't think I'd like a world without Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Ray Palmer,Johnny Storm, Natasha Romanoff or Warren Worthington III in.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I knew I should have figured a way to squeeze in "3rd, 4th, 5th generations"!

And can we note that there's a difference between reviving totally defunct names and giving us six different Captain Marvels in 20 years (and none of them as good as the 40's or the 60's/70's versions).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 September 2017 at 1:43am

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version