Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: A DC Comics production of a Marvel comic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Looking at the 60s Marvels, some characters, like Captain America, Thor and Daredevil, were close to the well-adjusted noble DC superheroes, but the stories were still much different, with subplots that continued from issue to issue. I don't recall seeing much of that in DC until the late 70s. And I don't recall many battles between DC heroes,which often occurred in Marvel.
But to answer the question about characters or books that resembled the other company's: I have found similarities in the 60s Legion of Super-Hero stories (probably written by the young Jim Shooter)and the 60s Marvels, such as a hero dying (and not coming back), heroes showing romantic interest in each other and an emphasis on battle scenes.
Firestorm was definitely Gerry Conway's chance to do Spider-Man at DC. And the Teen Titans were influenced by the X-Men.
But I think, for the most part, the two companies' styles weren't so different from each other by the late 80s, when so many of the same creators had worked at both companies. Animal Man, Doom Patrol and other DC Comics weren't really an attempt by DC to do Marvel as they were to do something different, with British creators being a big part of that.

Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Frank Quitely is an excellent artist who shouldn't draw superhero comics. The WE3 science-fiction comic he did with Morrison is great, much much better than ALL-STAR SUPERMAN. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

NEW TEEN TITANS certainly was a Marvel Comic-styled book.

I miss that incarnation of the characters. Great times. :)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Alpha Flight never felt like any other Marvel Comic that was around at the time and whilst I'm not suggesting that they were separated at birth I do feel that it's closest cousin was DC's Suicide Squad with its sprawling cast of characters and anti-team feel.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I played this game before where I imagined Marvel and DC trading some characters for a year or so.  I could totally see CAPTAIN AMERICA at DC for at least a year--that could have been fun.  So, not that Cap is LIKE a DC character, but that he COULD be done in that style and still be fun.  (And I don't see DC putting him through the crap Marvel has perpetrated upon him the last few years.)  I wouldn't mind seeing a romance with Wonder Woman, a team-up with Sgt. Rock, leading the Justice League of America, etc.

For the other side of the trade, my top choices would be the Atom or (the original) Captain Marvel.

The Atom visiting Marvel's "microverse" could be wild!  (Marvel's microverse was always a lot more interesting than DC's equivalent.)  Of course, this "trade" would have been a lot better years ago, with him teaming up with the Fantastic Four (and drawn by Kirby, Perez, or Byrne!).  Again, not that the Atom was Marvel-like but that he would have benefited from an infusion of classic Marvel energy.

If Fawcett had made a deal with Marvel in the 70's instead of DC, the world would have been a more interesting place!  Billy Batson could have been the new high schooler in town (since Peter Parker had moved on to college by then) and it would have been fun to see the good Captain dealing with the more realistic world of Marvel (but not TOO gritty and realistic then).  Marvel has flirted with a Captain Marvel or Superman-level character many times since then--Wonder Man, Hyperion, Wundarr, Gladiator, the Sentry, the Blue Marvel, Mar-Vell, Omega the Unknown--maybe it's just a gap that needs to be filled.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 September 2017 at 11:46pm

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Some 70s issues of Marvel's Captain Marvel borrowed a bit from the Fawcett CM by having CM in another dimension and swapping places with Rick Jones to be in ours.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version