Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: OT: Did The Historical Jesus Exist? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My father was a Buddhist, so I grew up standing rather close to that faith, if not actually in it. There is not much in the way of indisputable historic fact around the life of the Buddha, tho there is a lot less of the fairy dust that surrounds Jesus.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was taught that Jesus knew what was going to happen, that it was preordained that he'd "die for our sins".  The whole "before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times" said by him to Peter and all that. 

What puzzles me about that is the hate some have for Judas. Without Judas, where would the faith be? Surely he was a 'necessary evil'? 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Too much logic right there, Mr. Parry!

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not every Christian denomination or even everyone in the same denomination agrees on whether communal bread and wine are converted to Christ's body and blood or are symbolic (Some churches use wine, some use grape juice.). Some may see that as a weakness, but that's the result of different interpretations and traditions. You'll find the same thing in political parties that run government.
I've noticed many are bothered by hypocritical behavior among folks who say they worship God. So was Jesus, and he made it very clear among the leaders of his culture. Leaders outside it didn't see anything to gain by embracing him. That may be why you don't find much written about him during his short life.    

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not every Christian denomination or even everyone in the same denomination agrees on whether communal bread and wine are converted to Christ's body and blood or are symbolic (Some churches use wine, some use grape juice.). 

Of course. I know, for example, the Church of England doesn't believe that.

But it's a bizarre "rule" for the RC Church to have. If the bread really does become Christ, whilst retaining the look/texture/taste of bread, then anyone with a gluten or wheat allergy should be protected via supernatural methods. But they aren't. Someone with a gluten/wheat intolerance has to refuse such bread - so it really doesn't turn into the body of Christ.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version