Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: OT: Did The Historical Jesus Exist? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Must he ALWAYS fuck with us?? If we are talking about the OT God, then the answer is, of course, YES.

This is, indeed, the expectation, the burden, of being Jewish. Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him; But I will argue my ways before Him. He effs with us, with us Jews, and we have to deal with that. The "Bible" is the most important book ever... for Jews alone. It was never a Jewish idea that any non-Jew would have to follow His laws and deal with His chastisements, fair or unfair. The Bible is the Jewish story, not the Jesus story. This doesn't make Judaism any less full of crapola than any other religion. But at least it seeks only to keep the bull all to itself!

Edited by Michael Penn on 10 September 2017 at 6:30am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Adam and Eve fucked up…"

••

"…because I created a scenario in which it was virtually impossible for them NOT to. But it's all their fault -- and YOURS, and all generations to come."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I concur. 

Not sure why I should be held accountable for what a man and woman did 6,000 years ago (the earth is 6,000 years old, right? Although that makes me wonder where the dinosaurs fit in - were they on Noah's Ark?).

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

IIRC I once heard that dinosaurs never existed and that fossils were planted in order to test our faith.

Maybe someone can be more precise about that? Anyway .. wow! God as a practical joker ...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

IIRC I once heard that dinosaurs never existed and that fossils were planted in order to test our faith.

Maybe someone can be more precise about that?

••

One of my best buds in High School believed that. And that's pretty much all there is to it. Anything that suggests the world is more than 6,000 years old is phony. Who created the fossils and whatnot depends on whether you want God testing us or the devil fooling us.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Not sure why I should be held accountable for what a man and woman did 6,000 years ago…

••

I utterly reject the suggestion that I am in any way responsible for the actions of my ancestors!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I utterly reject the suggestion that I am in any way responsible for the actions of my ancestors!!

They have an 'answer' for that, too.

Jehovah's Witnesses frequently proselytize around here (knocking on doors). One, when I mentioned that, told me that, just as poor genetics can be passed from parent to child, leading to disease, so Adam and Eve's choices and fall have been passed through the bloodline up to the modern day.

Doesn't convince me!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Regarding Jehovah's...I had some knick my door,showing me
a pamphlet with a picture of black and white
kids,lions,sheep etc in a beautiful scenic setting.One
asked me 'Wouldn't you like to live in a place like
this'? I replied straight faced 'No because the lions
would eat the kids'...they just left!
I know have a 'Give Blood' sticker on the door,it wards
them off like garlic to a vampire.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I just straight up tell anyone of any Christian denomination that knocks on my door that I'm an atheist and don't believe in any superstitions. They don't even tend to try and debate me and just leave. I doubt it's a response they get very often in a town that is probably close to 90 percent Christian (Paducah, KY). Even the gay folks here go to church and believe in God which seems really odd to me. I only have maybe 2 "real life" friends that are agnostic or atheist. Though most of the so-called believers haven't really practiced their religion in years.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 10 September 2017 at 1:16pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"... I doubt it's a response they get very often in a town that is probably close to 90 percent Christian (Paducah, KY)...."...

I can vouch for you there, Shane.
I graduated high school near you in Murray and felt like I was on a deserted island with my atheism. Extreme ,extreme minority.Since moving north to Michigan some 30 years ago I've had plenty of people with like minds to talk to.

Edited by Doug Centers on 10 September 2017 at 2:27pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You have to ask how many churchgoers are absolutely loyal to the faith - and for some, whether church is simply a "place to go to".

My dad was a Catholic. But for all my life, he rarely attended church. And later in life, he got me to order Richard Dawkins' books from Amazon. He once described Noah's Ark as bullshit and other than occasional Mass and events (e.g. weddings), I don't think he was interested at all. I think for a long time, it was just something he did.

Yet had there been a census of religious believers in the UK, he would no doubt have been included as a 'Christian/Catholic'.

Some who attend church may sincerely believe in Adam/Eve, Cain's wife, Noah's Ark, the coming of Jesus, etc. But how many, who attend church, do so out of routine, peer pressure, family pressure, etc? 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 10 September 2017 at 2:42pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There is actually, far, far less evidence for the existence of Muhammad than the existence of Jesus.  His name doesn't even appear anywhere until 150 years after he is said to have lived.  And the Patriarch of Jerusalem at the time of Arab conquest of the city wrote a work in which he details everything about their culture, from what they ate to how they dressed to literally how they smelled.  Interestingly, nowhere in it does he say they had a new religion.

A good book on the origins of Islam HERE

The author concludes that there probably was a Muhammad, but that we know next to nothing about his life, except that he lived in a completely different place than the Quran says he did.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version