Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Watchoo Buy Today - 04/06/05 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

In reverse order of enjoyment (favorite is last):

Ultimate Spider-Man 75

Green Lantern: Rebirth 5

Blood of the Demon 2

Big week for me.

Edited by John Mietus on 06 April 2005 at 6:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Three books, John!  Not enough for a pull, but by gum you're getting there! 

BTW, BOTD was my absolute favorite read as well.  It's jumped to my favorite current title.  It's just THAT good.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Matt Reed wrote:

Sinestro: I've contacted Parallax.  I influence it as I influenced you.  It will consume your homeworld, Jordan.  You will fail your sector.  And then I'll finish with Kyle Rayner.  I'll kill the alley rat.

Hal: Kyle held the torch when no one else did.  When no one else could. 

Sinestro: Rayner is a fool.  I will slice the creature's chest open and rip out his useless heart. 

Hal: NO.  You will respect him.

That was pretty awesome.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

In the order I read 'em:

Superman/Batman #18 -- Fun stuff overall.  Some of the flashbacks during the time-hopping sequence (along with a few other things in this issue) made me think that a crisis really is a-brewin' in the DCU.

Green Lantern Rebirth #5 -- Truly superb, for all the reasons Matt cited above.  THIS is why I still love comics.  Well, this plus all the stuff JB does.  One thing other than the stuff that Matt cited also stood out for me -- the following passage was rather foreboding:

Parallax:  I'm ever so hungry.  Hungry for you. Victims of fear. And yet . . . I sense a worshipper.  A disciple.

This was particularly foreboding if you noticed [SPOILERS FOLLOW] the shadowy form of Batman right below the word balloon with the words "A disciple."  Anybody else think Parallax may be getting his hooks into Bruce via Bruce's love for "striking fear into the hearts of criminals"?

Blood of the Demon #2 -- VERY good read.  This book really hit the ground running, and even though I'm more of a Doom Patrol fan, I can see why even the anti-Byrne folks are reportedly raving about this book.

Edited by John Bodin on 06 April 2005 at 8:09pm

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hey, Matt Reed!!
I know you enjoyed the Ballad of Sleeping Beauty.  Will you be picking up any other Beckett or Gabe Benson books?
Color me curious.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

JT Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Detective Comics  No. 805 - Enjoyable read - several interesting sub-plots going on at once making it a little confusing at times, but still worth reading.

Green Lantern: Rebirth No. 5 -
I have to side with those who like this - I would add to the quotes above, the line from Hal to Kyle after the fight with Sinestro Together I think they are a good sign that Johns idea here is not trying to crap on Kyle Raymer, but rather to fix Hal Jordan.   I have read posts from people concerned that "their" GL (Raymer) is getting left in the cold.  I think Johns makes it clear here that this is about the Green Lanterns, all of them, and he does not seem to be trying to make any of them less important.

Twilight Experiment No. 3 -
This is fun - somewhat contrived in throwing the 2 main characters together, especially the female leads background (at least to me) - but I am enjoying both the story and the art despite that.

Strange No. 5 -
I need to re-read the last issue.  This seemed to jump a bit from the end of the last issue?  Overall it has been good though, even if it could have been told in half the pages.

Blood of the Demon No. 2 -
Whole thread for this......(great by the way)

Walking Dead No. 17 -
Overall the story is really great and I like it a lot, but this book suffers from too many characters that are not always easy to keep sorted out - the late shipping does not help that either, which is a big reason I only buy 1 thing from Image these days. 

Zatanna No. 1 - Better than Shining Knight for me, I like the Guardian a little more though.  I am still trying to piece together how everything is going to fit, but searching for those ties is part of what is making this more enjoyable. 

As a side note, I went back and read the first issue of the Seven Soldiers back-up stories from Adventure Comics (in the issue 440 range) - it was fun to see the differences - I am missing one of the issues, so once I track that down I will have to read them all.

Marvel Team-Up No. 7 -
Great to see an uncommonly used character!  The story is actually pretty fun.

T
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Bodin wrote:

Parallax:  I'm ever so hungry.  Hungry for you. Victims of fear. And yet . . . I sense a worshipper.  A disciple.

Yes, that hit my mind as soon as it was said.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 06 April 2005 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Heavy trip for me...well, 2 weeks of stuff, since I didn't make a run last week:

Astonishing X-Men #9 - Haven't looked at it yet
Sea Of Red #1 - Haven't looked at it yet...pirates & vampires can't be all bad
Shanna #3 - Haven't read it yet, but dinosaurs and Nazis...c'mon!!
Countdown... - bleh...could've been really good
Wonder Woman #214 - Pt. 2 to last month's Flash...bleh...such a weak story wrap
Flash #220 - The Rogues!! Good stuff!
Superman/Batman #18 - Fun story arc...last pages had something that's either a piss poor mistake or some intriguing foreshadowing...or is that backshadowing...
Men Of Mystery #53 - Great stuff from the Golden Age!
GL: Rebirth - Not the strongest of the 5 issues so far, but still an arse-kicking issue!
Doom patrol #10 - Gruesome!!
Blood of the Demon #2 - Quickly competing for my favorite book!!

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Bob Simko wrote:

Superman/Batman #18 - Fun story arc...last pages had something that's either a piss poor mistake or some intriguing foreshadowing...or is that backshadowing...

Care to elaborate in spoiler-text, Bob -- I'm not sure what you're talking about.

????

:-(

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 10  

Daniel Kendrick wrote:
 John Bodin wrote:

Yes, that hit my mind as soon as it was said.

If it was anybody other than Johns writing, I'd be afraid the "big reveal" would be that the character in question is either a fear-channelling meta or an elemental.

:-P

Thankfully, I don't think we have to worry about that with Geoff at the helm.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 11  

John Bodin wrote:
 Bob Simko wrote:

Care to elaborate in spoiler-text, Bob -- I'm not sure what you're talking about.

????

:-(

John...pretty much exactly what you were tying into a few posts earlier.  It'll be interesting to see what the might eventually lead into later this year...

Ron Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12  

Actually, I thought the last two pages were just a wink to another alternative time line, which then faded away.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version