Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Who Regenerated Thirty Years Ago? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, first appeared thirty years ago today. Here, from BBC Worldwide, is the YouTube video for his regeneration:

I was quite a fan of the Seventh Doctor. His Doctor went down a dark path at times - and was a little bit too near-omnipotent at times - but he truly felt like a Time Lord "walking in eternity" (which the Fourth Doctor originally said: "I'm a Time Lord, I walk in eternity...").

It might have been interesting to see how McCoy would have developed in the role. As you know, he debuted in 1987, but the series was cancelled in 1989. He wouldn't appear again until 1996, when he appeared in the TV movie starring the Eighth Doctor. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I reeeeeally don't like shots of the TARDIS spinning thru space. Takes away so much of the "magic".

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, it looks as bad as something I might have produced on a school computer in the 80s. ;-) 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

McCoy in a wig and makeup regenerated into McCoy not in a wig and makeup. So, basically, McCoy and Tennant were the two Doctors who 'regenerated into themselves', but it was only part of the story in Tennant's case.
JB:

reeeeeally don't like shots of the TARDIS spinning thru space. Takes away so much of the "magic".
Me, too. It seemed like someone felt they need 'establishing shots' like that, the way shows like 'Space: 1999' or 'Star Trek' used them, but more often, they would be added unnecessarily after the Doctor would say something like 'We're adrift in the time stream'. You don't actually need to show a model of a Police Box with a dark background. It looked like a missing piece from a diorama.
Someone once wrote in to 'Doctor Who Monthly' about it, and the vague reply put it on a suggestion from some unnamed BBC higher-up thinking that the spinning effect would look 'rather nice'.
I haven't watched the McCoy debut in full, but I had thought John Nathan-Turner got rid of those 'TARDIS in transit' shots after he took over.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"My" TARDIS disappeared from one place and appeared in another. There was no flying in between.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"My" TARDIS disappeared from one place and appeared in another. There was no flying in between.

I like that. It's so powerful, e.g. the Hartnell episodes, when it just disappears from one place and appears in another. Sometimes less is more.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The console room scenes became more of a 'thing' in season 2, particularly after Hartnell's farewell speech to Susan.
By McCoy's final season, some of the show's writers felt that those scenes preceding 'arrival' and following' departure' were a waste of time, and added nothing to the story. Thus, McCoy's famous 'farewell speech' at the end of 'Survival' was delivered on a long walk back to the TARDIS.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The real reason we saw less scenes taking place inside the TARDIS in season 26 was because the scenery flats used to make up the TARDIS console room were accidentally junked after recording of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. That's why we only see a very dimly lit TARDIS interior in Battlefield - to hide the hastily constructed walls.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Around season 14 (mid-Tom Baker era), they tried to bring in a new-look control room with dark wooden panels(the scene of Sarah-Jane's farewell), and there my have been an 'accident' with the previous version to bring about such a dramatic change...but then, the wood for the new version warped, so they went back to the brightly-lit background.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have seen plans and mockups for what would have been a new console room for Series 27 had it been commissioned.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I hated the wood pannelled 'secondary console room that was introduced in The Masque of Mandragora. While I know others loved it, for me, that console room seemed to miss the point somehow. That the battered looking police box exterior hid a fabulous gleaming 'space-age' interior was something that thrilled me no end (maybe because I was a child of the space age myself). A wooden box inside another wooden box was far less exciting somehow, even if it was still bigger on the inside.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I once had a dream in which the TARDIS materialized on a planet "inside out". All the interior space appeared as an enormous Borg-like cube (long before anyone thought of the Borg) with the police box sitting on top, looking very tiny.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Andrew, I didn't care for that secondary console room, either. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

First time I saw a shot of the Tardis spinning in space I was mightily confused - I too thought it disappeared and reappeared with no actual 'travelling' through normal space taking place.

Yes there were scenes while it was in transit, but they were not in real space were they? At least not in my head. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

In episode one of The Web of Fear, the TARDIS dropped out of the time vortex and hovered in space. I think the spinning through physical space began when the TARDIS materialised over the sea in episode 1 of Fury From The Deep (surviving footage can be found on YouTube).

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The Chase (season 2) had shots of a cardboard cut-out TARDIS flying through the time vortex. In addition to the Troughton examples Andrew mentions, we see a spinning TARDIS in a black void before it explodes in the Mind Robber (and the reverse at the end). It then materialised in space near the moon at the beginning of The Invasion. Unfortunately that episode is missing so we can't be sure what it looked like. IIRC, the first time we saw it spinning through space  was at the end of the Pertwee story Frontier in Space.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version