Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: ARTISTS and MODELS ... A Comic Book Movie? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not meaning to slight the recently deceased, but while I respect the stature and influence Jerry Lewis had within the entertainment industry, I was not really a fan of his movies. The thing is, I love classic comedies, particularly those from the 1920s up to the 1940s. Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis came along toward the end of that period, and movie comedy had begun to change, but there is something about Lewis that only appealed to me as a small child.

Well, due to his passing, people have been posting about Jerry Lewis in the past month, and a friend of mine posted an article on Facebook about Lewis writing a foreword for a collection of "Nancy" comic strips. In a photo used to promote this, there is Jerry Lewis reading a comic book. I noticed the title of the comic was "Bat Lady." I figured it was a fake book, likely from some film, and I went to Google to see what it was from originally. Turns out it was from the 1955 Martin and Lewis film "Artists and Models."

I had heard of the film, but never really heard about the film. I always assumed it to be about artists that painted, or whatever. I never thought it was about comic books. And, it's not a small bit, it's a main part of the film that is about comics! I decided I had to check it out on that basis alone.

The film still hasn't won me over on my opinion about Lewis's comedy style, but I found him pleasant enough without being too overbearing in his role. And Shirley MacLaine , who is featured here in one of her earliest film roles, was quite a cute lady in her youth.

A particularly interesting thing for me is how the comic book publisher in the film is wanting comics to be more violent and gory, to sell to the kids. The film being from 1955, this seemed to be a statement on the pre-code comics of the era.

I plan to add the film to my collection primarily due to the comic book connection, but I do find it entertaining.

Trailer to ARTISTS AND MODELS.

Anybody else here have any thoughts to offer on the film?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw ARTISTS & MODELS a couple times when I was a kid. I loved it
but I'm unsure if it would still hold up for me today. I revisited THE
STOOGE a few years back and found that I still loved it, so who
knows?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One of my favorites. And yes, it serves to illustrate that the Code didn't come out of nowhere; it was the result of a discussion that was going on.

And then, of course, there were Jerry Lewis comics. Some of them penciled by a very young Neal Adams, but I never read them.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I loved the Lewis/Martin movies I saw as a kid. I haven't watched them as an
adult, but think I'd probably still enjoy them.

Curiously, though I'm a fan of the MY FRIEND IRMA comics and radio show, I
have never seen either of the duo's IRMA movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great film. I know an animator who's memorized the "bat lady and the fat lady" speech. And Shirley MacLaine's an absolute doll in this one.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I first saw it last year, when TCM celebrated Jerry's 90th birthday. What struck me was that the space station model was from George Pal's THE CONQUEST OF SPACE. I had never really placed Dr. Wertham or the Lewis & Martin movies in time relative to each other, or the Space Race.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version