Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars
Topic: Episode IX Director Out! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's been talked about for a month, now it's official.

Link

Kinda bummed over this. I like Colin as a director and
would've been interested in his vision.

Not sure if this shows Lucasfilm in disarray or just how
Hollywood works.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Talk about his job being in danger started immediately after THE BOOK OF HENRY bombed, so I lean toward it just being how Hollywood works. 
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I'm leaning that way too. Reports
are that they couldn't come to terms on
the script.

If I was a betting man, I'd say this is
Rian Johnson's job turn take or turn down.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I feel Disney's problem is the tight schedule of trying to produce a new 'proper' Star Wars film every two years. It gives virtually no wriggle room to find the right story and smooth out the bumps.

That said, I was never too crazy about Trevorrow's appointment, simply because the only thing I've seen from him was Jurassic World and I find it just about OK.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm not really familiar with the production history of any film throughout the history of cinema.

Are these things a regular occurrence (or semi-regular) throughout cinematic history? Is the media making more of this than it should?

I'm throwing questions out there, not claiming to have answers. I sometimes wonder if the media is making a mountain out of a molehill (not just with STAR WARS, but with anything).

It's a bit like when I see media clickbait such as "MOVIE A SUBJECT TO REWRITES". Is it a big issue or do we only THINK it's a big issue? Is a rewrite of a movie a big deal or has it been part and parcel of the industry since its genesis?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Trevorrow is rumored to have had an ego problem when he was doing JW and there have been some reports that he was clashing with the various powers that be at Lucasfilm with regards to Episode IX so it's not surprising that he got shown the door. You can only clash with your boss so many times before it gets you in hot water.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie, we are living in uniquely interesting times. The scrutiny accorded the rewrites and reshoots is a undoubtably a product of internet age fandom colliding with blockbuster age appeal. The internet culture of vivisecting every single bit of news and cell phone photo began with Star Wars Episode One, and pretty much creating internet reporting (and fake news) as we know it today.

Back in the silent days, there were fans, but I don't think anybody besides the super nerds were freaking out about the cuts the studio inflicted on Murnau. People welcomed periodic capsule news items updated on what the hell was holding up the latest Chaplin project (growing roses) but it isn't like there were live salons where young fans bickered over his production practices. 

People don't remember, but Lucas reportedly reshot the hell out of Episodes 2 and 3 to little pinternet scrutiny. And probably 1 as well, but I don't remember as specifically. And each episode had up to a half dozen writers. (As did STAR WARS, EMPIRE and JEDI, for that matter.) Maybe people were less suspicious? I can see why people want to hold Disney to the fire when it comes to their precious, precious Star Wars. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You're right, David.

I worry it can take away from the magic. One of my favourite films is ROBOCOP. I know nothing about the production. Were there rewrites? Behind-the-scenes woes? Problems? I neither know nor care. All I care about is that it hit the cinema screens in 1987.

I worry sometimes that fandom's obsession with the creative process could taint their potential enjoyment of a film.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I actually saw a test-screening of Robocop about five months before it hit theaters.  Only changes I can recall from that to the final cut was a lot of the gore was trimmed.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Over the years there have been films that have periodically had well-publicised troubled productions (I'm not sure this film qualifies particularly as a troubled production; firing a director before principal photography begins is not that big a deal).

Off the top of my head, there's Waterworld, Heaven's Gate, Ishtar, Hudson Hawk, Bonfire of the Vanities, The Marrying Man and The Island of Dr Moreau, which were all flops to varying degrees. Dances with Wolves and Titanic both had reports of production troubles, but were big hits.

Gone with the Wind had a high profile tinning of its director early in production.

Demolition Man and Back to the Future both had leading cast members replaced after filming began because they were not what the producer/director (respectively) had hoped for... And in all likelihoodturned out the better for it.

The media reporting problems from a film production is not a new phenomenon. The high profile nature of the Star Wars franchise and the sheer volume of chat you get on the internet means the noise reverberates a bit more with this one. But really, it's a director being replaced before filming has even begun -- it's far from unprecedented for films with directors that are hired guns.

One of my favcourite instances of a troubled production is The Exorcist: The Beginning, where Paul Schrader shot an entire film, then the studio entirely reshot the whole bloody thing with Renny Harlin.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's official.... "J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio."

Lucasfilm can only work well with a handful of directors it seems. Oh well, I guess this choice is fitting considering Abrams started this new trilogy.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...of course he is.

I really want to be there when Satan collects his end of the deal. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Urrrgh.

Not what I'd been hoping for.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Release date moved to December 2019. Will clash with frozen 2

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I look forward to an overabundance of derivative plot points, characters, spaceships, scenes and battles.

Shall we place bets on EPISODE IX featuring the biggest, baddest, most ass-kicking Death Star/Starkiller Base ever...?

I'm picturing the STAR WARS version of a Dyson sphere.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 14 September 2017 at 5:45pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

There's an online petition to get Abrams removed as director of IX that's now circulating. Never gonna happen because of that, but, considering Lucasfilm/Disney's recent track record, it may happen on its own. Although it hasn't been publicized much, Abrams and the studio apparently had some battles, during TFA. We'll see how it all works out.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I'd put the chances of Abrams being given the hook or leaving the project on his own at about 0%.  He has too much perceived clout after the commercial success of TFA and he knows full well what he's getting into from a time commitment and pressure cooker standpoint having gone through it once but obviously still wants back in.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'd put the chances of Abrams being given the hook or leaving the project on his own at about 0%. He has too much perceived clout after the commercial success of TFA and he knows full well what he's getting into from a time commitment and pressure cooker standpoint having gone through it once but obviously still wants back in.
++++++++++++

Exactly.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

maybe he can get it right this time....

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Random Rebel officer in Episode 9:  "It's a Starkiller Base, only bigger!"