Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: When is an anniversay not an anniversary? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A bit of a debate has arisen in the fan circle I inhabit regarding The Prisoner, and I wondered if anyone here might have any thoughts. Don't worry, you needn't be a fan of the show to answer the question I'm going to throw out.

This year is the 50th anniversary of Patrick McGoohan's classic TV series. The first episode, 'Arrival', was screened in the ATV region of the ITV network on September 29th, 1967 (other ITV regions followed on gradually over the following weeks) and so that date is considered the day on which we fans of the series should celebrate the anniversary (a little like Whovians with 23rd November).

The thing is though, 50 years ago today, on the 5th, The Prisoner started airing on Canadian television - BEFORE the UK premiere. So, my rather nerdy question is this: should today be the day we celebrate the anniversary rather than the 29th?

(Apologies in advance to all you well adjusted folk out there who slapping your foreheads and rolling your eyes. I promise you, I am aware how extremely nerdy all this is as my wife has told me in no uncertain terms.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Canadian anniversary. First time it was shown to the public is always the one that counts.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Up in Canada we got both THE PRISONER and STAR TREK before the official premieres. I just take this to mean two anniversaries.

(Since those Canadian broadcasts were butchered to fit extra commercials, I suppose a valid argument could be made that neither show really debuted in full!)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was planning to do a topic on a private Facebook group I am a member of. I think I'll do it today, given what was mentioned above.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB:

(Since those Canadian broadcasts were butchered to fit in extra commercials, I suppose a valid argument could be made that neither show ever really debuted in full!)

That's surprising! In those days, weren't American 'hourlong' dramas around 50 minutes, minus interruptions? I assume the Canadian TV scheduling was a 45-minute slot?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

According to what I read at the time, American broadcasters were allowed 17% of each hour (roughly 10 minutes) for ads, while Canadian broadcasters took 17 MINUTES.

Quite a difference. Tho it did make me look forward to reruns, as often they would cut different bits, so there would be scenes I had not seen before.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Quite a difference. Tho it did make me look forward to reruns, as often they would cut different bits, so there would be scenes I had not seen before.

Apologies for the thread drift, but this can cause confusion at times.

They cut a scene out of an A-TEAM episode. But they left in a punchline at the end which referred to the earlier scene; so those of us who'd seen the episode in full (on, say, VHS) knew the joke, but a person seeing the edited episode would not understand the punchline.

I am sure there are many examples, maybe even for THE PRISONER.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Canadian anniversary. First time it was shown to the public is always the one that counts."

I would have thought so too, but apparently not. With Fandom I sometimes wonder if there is a secret rule book that I've never been allowed to see. Or, to quote Number Six in 'Dance of the Dead': "Has anyone ever seen these rules?"
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version