Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Richard Anderson (1926 - 2017) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

He'd been around for as long as I can remember... not only was I a huge SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and BIONIC WOMAN fan in the '70s, he and I also shared the same birthday (which I thought was super-cool) and yes, for Christmas 1977, I even got the Kenner "Oscar Goldman" doll which, to my 5-year old mind, was just as awesome as Steve Austin.

Really seemed like a genuinely warm, likable kind of guy, also notable for having roles in such '50s classics as FORBIDDEN PLANET and PATHS OF GLORY.  91 is an excellent run.

RIP

Edited by Shaun Barry on 31 August 2017 at 7:56pm
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Also one of my favourite guest stars on Disney's Zorro.
Sorry to hear of this.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Enjoyed his work in anything I saw him in, from the 'bionic' saga, to PERRY MASON (where he played a killer, client, and victim at various times, before assuming the police lieutenant role for the final season), to THE FUGITIVE (where he played a crucial character in the series-ending two parter) to TORA! TORA! TORA! He even played the 'Shell Answer Man' for a while.
But he'll always be remembered for...'Gentlemen, we can rebuild him...'

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 3:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Odd though it may sound, it seems like he'd been around forever.

I enjoyed his performances as Oscar Goldman. There's a good scene in a SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN episode ("The Secret of Bigfoot") where a huge footprint is found near to a spot where scientists have gone missing. With gravitas, and delivered very sincerely and powerfully, Goldman, in response to talk of Bigfoot, says, "Hasn't that been proven to be a hoax?"

It all kept it grounded. Footprints appear again later. Steve Austin asks Goldman, "Do you still think Bigfoot is a hoax?" Goldman replies, "I don't know what to think." It's all taken so seriously and profoundly. 

He also appeared briefly as the plastic surgeon in the pilot episode of KNIGHT RIDER.

My condolences to his loved ones.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"... I even got the Kenner "Oscar Goldman" doll which, to my 5-year old mind, was just as awesome as Steve Austin."

Yes, I had that too. Somehow I even managed to hold on to his briefecase and contents for years after the doll was gone.

I honestly thought he had passed long ago.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just a few weeks ago I recognized his name way down in the credits of ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953), and decided to follow the exploits of this "ancestor of Oscar Goldman." Told off William Holden's character, although outranked by him. Caught an arrow in his right shoulder, but managed to draw and fire his pistol left-handed (though I can't guarantee he did anything more than make noise with it). Mostly just his quiet competence. Not an outgoing, but an engaging personality.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It would have been great to see him in a STAR TREK episode or movie.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Memorable in SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, even in a relatively small part.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In the 1973 pilot for SIX MIL, Darren McGavin played a different character as Steve's boss..an unrepetant hard-ass. Anderson joined as Oscar for the other two 'proto-pilots' that year, and that first version of Oscar was only slightly less of a jerk. 
Mr. Goldman was made a lot more 'human' for the weekly series. and the initial suspicion/antagonism between Steve and 'the boss' melted away, gradually at first, and then, within a few episodes, the two were good 'pals'. Great chemistry in script, on-screen and off.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In the 1973 pilot for SIX MIL, Darren McGavin played a different character as Steve's boss..an unrepetant hard-ass.
Yeah, Richard Anderson quickly made the character more sympathetic and trustworthy, which made more sense given the dangerous missions Steve Austin voluntarily undertook for him.  The combative relationship with Darren McGavin provided some conflict but would have rapidly worn thin in an ongoing series. 

I briefly got to meet RA a couple times at the Film Noir Festival in Hollywood over the past 20 years.  He was a huge film buff and fondly recalled his early roles in some b-movie crime dramas and westerns as well as bigger budgeted offerings like FORBIDDEN PLANET.  A nice man and I will always recall his Goldman character and some of his other 70s tv work, including a creepy "doctor" in McGavin's THE NIGHT STRANGLER and a surprisingly slippery lawyer in the excellent Levinson / Link MURDER BY NATURAL CAUSES. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Anderson could 'switch' beween the 'good guy' and 'bad guy' roles fairly easily, as was the case with PERRY MASON. He said in more than one interview that he got a kick out of the  SIX MIL episodes where he got to play the 'evil robot Oscar', trying to kill Steve(and doing at least some of his own stunts for the fight scenes).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version