Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: BIGFOOT! (really?) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Quick test for "aliens": if they are humanoid (whatever their size) and fly around in saucer shaped craft, they're not real.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Anyone here a fan of the Bigfoot and Wild Boy Saturday morning TV series from the 70's?

++++++++++++++
Heck, yeah!

It and Dr. Shrinker were my favorite parts of the Kroft Supershow. (Electra  Woman and Dyna Girl, which replaced Dr. Shrinker, is only memorable to me because Deidre Hall was later on Days Of Our Lives, which I watched for a while in the mid-80s' to early 90's. I believe she's still on it.....)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lionel Faure
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Apparently woodknocking is a common behavior found among great apes such as gorillas and chimpanzees. The sasquatch enthusiasts claim they hear woodknocking sometimes when investigating areas which seem to be close to sasquatch « home ». Supposedly part of intimidation behaviors like rock throwing or yelling at the group of human invaders.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The sasquatch enthusiasts claim they hear woodknocking sometimes when investigating areas which seem to be close to sasquatch « home »

That's the thing. The guys in this documentary were all doing it. So how do they know, in that particular region, that it was Sasquatch returning the "call"? It could have been other enthusiasts. Seems lame.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This is the first time I have heard of "woodknocking", and as one whose trees are full of woodpeckers in the right season, the notion sounds very silly to me!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's it. It's major clutching at straws.

Like I stated, I can't remember the region, but the Sasquatch "hunters" were adamant that all knocks were from Sasquatches. That sounds like a form of religion to me, making something fit your narrative rather than examining the evidence.

This can be a problem with any unexplained phenomenon. There are some who will attribute EVERY sound in an old house to 'ghosts'. Every UFO must be of alien origin. I would prefer to judge the evidence on a case-by-case basis. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Fairly simple:

• No such thing as ghosts

• No such thing as flying saucers/visiting aliens

• No such thing as the Loch Ness Monster (or any of its cousins)

• No such thing as Sasquatch (or any of its cousins)

• No such thing as angels

Etc etc etc etc etc...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Well, I at least hope dragons are real because that would be kind of cool for me. ;)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm rather hoping that, from the list Mr. Byrne supplied, that we find out the origins of these - and that they involve more than human hysteria or fraud. I'm always keen on finding out about something newly discovered, or explained with an amazing story to it.

In my experience, for example, I've heard from too many rational people who have encountered evidence of ghosts. Not crazy, not overwrought, not selling anything - and I wonder if there is some rational explanation behind it.

That being said... no, I'm not buying any snake oil today without FDA approval. :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I do have a story to share about 'ghosts'.

Years ago, my sister and her boyfriend moved into a flat. They moved in there around 1995. All was fine. No problems at all.

Around 2000/01, someone told them about how the street was haunted (something about ancient burials, although I could find no evidence of that). And lots of ghost talk. From that moment on, my sister and her boyfriend started talking about hearing things, presences, etc.

Yet from 1995 to about 2000, NOTHING! So why did they start 'hearing things' and 'feeling a presence' in 2000? Hmmm, what a coincidence that such feelings occurred around 2000/01 when someone they'd befriended started sharing wild stories.

There's a lesson in that. And whilst I am not saying that applies to everyone, I could not help be a tad dismissive. I did say to my sister once, "What about the fact you lived there for five years without a problem? You only started 'experiencing things' once Lyn told you her wild tales."

Can't help but think there's logic if one looks!

And then there's this:

Are people seeing Bigfoot? Or something they THINK is Bigfoot?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 06 February 2018 at 2:35pm

Lionel Faure
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Again what I find the most intriguing is not the blurry shaky video footages (althought some once stabilized can be quite puzzling), it is all the large and sometimes not so large tree and bushes structures which would take so much efforts and time to set up. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Apparently, there's a series called FINDING BIGFOOT, which has been airing since 2011. I have no idea if it still running, but 90 episodes have been produced so far. 

90 episodes?!! Seems like stretching the concept way past breaking point.

I take it that they didn't find Bigfoot within 90 episodes. Otherwise it'd have been on the news.

There was a documentary on TV years ago about the search for Noah's Ark. It was hyped up as some exciting thing. Yet all I remember saying to a friend is, "Well, I guess they don't find it, otherwise we'd have found out about it prior to the documentary."

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version