Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: LUPIN III: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO on the big screen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In select theaters on Sept 14th and Sept 19th, the Hayao Miyazaki-directed anime movie finally gets a US release:

Indie Wire Link

Already got my tickets (the other Miyazaki theatrical releases this month already have the good seats pre-sold at my local theater).
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've got this one on blu-ray. My first taste of Lupin III came like most in the form of the lazer disk arcade game: Cliffhanger
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I love this movie. The first time I saw it was in a theater in the US - it played at a revival house called The New Beverly, which is still in operation and owned and operated by Quentin Tarantino.

Looking forward to revisiting this in the theater!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric: My first taste of Lupin III came like most in the form of the lazer disk arcade game: Cliffhanger

"Will the Princess marry someone that she can't stand?"

I cannot watch the opening moments of CAGLIOSTRO without hearing "JUMP!" in the back of my mind from the Cliffhanger arcade game.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's perhaps an understatement to say Cagliostro has overtly and silently influenced the entire film and TV industry for decades now.

There's the obvious ones cited, like Cowboy Bebop, Disney's The Great Mouse Detective and Atlantis, and Hudson Hawk.

Then there's the ones I've noticed over the years that no one seems to talk about.  The pilot for Moonlighting has a clock tower rescue that is almost a note-for-note Caglisotro homage.  De Niro's Ronin has some fantastic car chase scenes along the same roads near Monte Carlo that are depicted in Cagliostro, from many of the same angles,.  Even a recent film like Baby Driver shows it's inspiration with some very Lupin-inspired stunts, particularly where a car is driven along the wall of an embankment.

Not bad for a film that was initially slammed for being a 'soft' reboot of a hard-edged character!

(needless to say, I love this film and watch it at least once if not twice a year)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Saw this at SDCC anime track in the 88. Tuesday is my one day off so I get to see it subbed on the 19th. woot!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This might make a difference to some people, in that my theater is now listing the Sept 14th showing as the dubbed version, and the Sept 19 one as subtitled.

Already have my tickets for 14th, but I don't mind seeing it dubbed.

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 02 September 2017 at 4:44pm

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My theater in ATL still shows Dub. I'd go to both but I can't get away from my store on new comic book day. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ended up getting tickets to both Dub and Sub showings.

Both showings have very few seats reserved, in contrast to the other Hayao Miyazaki animes in the current Studio Ghibli Film Festival (which has been running since July).

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not a bad showing tonight, as far as audience numbers go. Small theater, but almost half full.

I had to double check against my own DVD copy, but there was lot of annoying "frame stuttering" when it came to the panning shots and zooms in the first 3/4 of the film, which thankfully disappeared during the last part...

Definitely not the same dub as on the previous Streamline and Manga Video versions, and once again we got the annoying "Add more dialogue where there wasn't any in the original" thing again...

Looking forward to the sub-titled version next week.

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Besides seeing a couple of episodes years ago, this was my first real
taste of Lupin III. And I thought the movie was great! Only about 8
others in the theatre.

I liked the movie so much, I bought a couple Lupin III figures today.

I'm thinking about seeing it subbed as well, and wondering what the
differences might be. I assume he is called Lupin in Japanese and
not Wolf like in English?

To those more familiar with a show, which series should I get to
watch? If I was to buy only one?

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have to correct my previous comment: The audio was from the 1992 Streamline Pictures dub version of movie, but the visuals were from a new print.

Lupin being referred to as "Wolf" (or "Ruupan") in the 90s-era dub releases might have had to do getting around any copyright infringement problems by estate of Maurice LeBlanc, author of the original Arsene Lupin stories. There must have been some kind a deal struck, since he's back to being called "Lupin The 3rd" again in the current anime releases.

I also recommend the seeing the Japanese sub, just to experience the original voice actors and script (the Streamline dub version had some good actors, but decided to fill up a lot of the "quiet moments and pauses" with more dialogue).

Most people who get their start with this movie, tend to hunt down the Lupin III Part II Season 4 TV episodes #145 "Wings of Death - Albatross" and #155 "Farewell Lovely Lupin", since those were directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

I've been enjoying the 2015 "Lupin III: The Italian Adventure" TV series so far, so that might be a good one to pick up. There is another series in production which will take him back to France.

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Thanks for the advice Bill.

Are the different series continuations of each other, or is each series
a reimagining/reboot?

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Vishwas, I'm inclined to treat each one of the Lupin properties as separate continuities... We've had movies and specials where he's fought himself, crossed over with other anime characters (Like DETECTIVE CONAN), and even had a recent "R-rated" violent anime mini-series involving him.

(And there are fan arguments of which Lupin was better: Red jacket, Green jacket, or the current Blue jacket wearing one).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version