Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Twice-monthly shipping doesn’t keep readers buying DC Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Link : http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/08/15/twice-monthl y-shipping-doesnt-keep-readers-buying-dc-comics/

With its focus on exploring existing characters in new ways and solid storytelling, DC Comics’ “Rebirth” has featured one of the publisher’s strongest lineups in recent memory. However, “Rebirth” also introduced an impediment that’s starting to wear on some readers: twice-monthly shipping. While there are a number of positives in regard to twice-monthly shipping, the sales statistics seem to show that it’s not holding readers any better than the “New 52” before it.

Why do twice-monthly shipping?

In theory, twice-monthly shipping (which is sometimes called double-shipping) is great. The strategy involves shipping two issues of a particular comic every month as opposed to the industry standard of one. Twice-monthly shipping addresses the problem of a month gap between issues leaving readers unable to remember exactly what happened in previous books while also giving them more of the characters that they love.

What does the data say?

Obviously, comparing the “New 52” and “Rebirth” isn’t simple, and there are problems that enter into creating a data set for comics sales. Factors such as superhero movies, creative teams, and even the beginning and end of arcs and their quality affect a book’s sales.

The rest:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/08/15/twice-monthl y-shipping-doesnt-keep-readers-buying-dc-comics/

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Double shipping=double the cost,there`s the problem!
Buyers have finite finances.
The suggestion that readers can`t remember what happened
in an issue a month previously is ludicrous,that`s what
re-caps are for,plus they can always re-read the
previous issue if their memory is that bad! (Maybe the
writers are writing unmemorable stories?)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rather than twice a month, I would prefer they start publishing longer books.  STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS is twice the length of a standard comic book, and a much more satisfying reading experience for stories that would be issued in two parts. 

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The double ship books are 2.99 and the monthly books are 3.99. so not quite double price. It also means the trades come out twice as fast too. and a hardbound containing 2 volumes of the TBS is confusing. 

"ok I bought batman vol 1, came in when a vol 2 would normaly be out and see vol1 HC and Vol 3. Then there are issues missing becuase there was a crossover "monster men" and that is a seperate collection. 

It seems to me that the real issue is how many books they double ship. about 1/2 the line is double ship. and it should be a handfull. Like batman and Detective but not Nightwing red-hood etc. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Pricing aside, one can have too much of a good thing. 

I like a book that's monthly. I like a TV episode that airs weekly. 

I love HOUSE OF CARDS, but if each episode was twice as long, and the frequency of episodes was doubled, I'd not hang around to watch that!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The big reason for bi-weekly books at the outset was to get the Rebirth versions of these characters established and build up a history for them right away. The New 52 unfolded bit by bit, and it took about a calendar year to feel like we knew much about how that version of the DC Universe fit together.

With Rebirth, they hit the ground running, and had trade paperbacks ready to roll out four months after the relaunch, and the first story arcs were much more focused on building likeable characters instead of building up mystery about what had changed and what hadn't. 

That being said, I'd like to see things scale back to monthly again soon. I feel like I'm buying fewer DC books now, but more often, and I'd probably adjust my buying habits if I weren't getting two issues of Flash, Batman, Superman, Action, etc. every month.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If it were a title I really enjoyed, I'd welcome a twice a month shipping
schedule!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The big reason for bi-weekly books at the outset was to get the Rebirth versions of these characters established and build up a history for them right away. The New 52 unfolded bit by bit, and it took about a calendar year to feel like we knew much about how that version of the DC Universe fit together.

•••

If only someone had thought of this back when comics were beginning in the Thirties and Forties! Those characters might have had a future.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The suggestion that readers can`t remember what happened 
in an issue a month previously is ludicrous,that`s what 
re-caps are for,plus they can always re-read the 
previous issue if their memory is that bad! 

I agree, Bill. It's absurd.

Sure, if I have six months between issues (due to backlog), I may have to refresh my memory a tad, but I don't forget between monthly issues. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 17 August 2017 at 7:53pm

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Suicide Squad and Batgirl have been the standouts for me this reboot.
I can see the editorial staff is working hard, and appreciate effort.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like the twice-monthly books. I would like them even better if the stories were not still paced for the eventual trade paperback. Not every idea that comes out of a writer's head is a multi-part epic, few of them are, and the publishing strategy should reflect that. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Twice-monthly is a recipe for inconsistent art and overly extended stories.  It's editorial's dream, not a reader's.  Pretty much only JB could keep up that output, and maybe (back in the day) pros like Sal Buscema and Curt Swan.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version