Topic: Debunking The Supernatural Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I will look it up J.B.
I have been in a few traumatic/dangerous situations,and a
strange calm rationality seemed to take over my
consciousness,not the blind panic I assumed would
occur.Possibly another survival/coping mechanism.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As someone who has sleep paralysis on a semi-regular basis…

I sometimes experience this (though less often now than I used to), and it can
be both frustrating and scary. Members of my mother's side of the family used
to say that the devil is riding anyone so afflicted.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I used to know a realtor (a very no-nonsense sort of person) who would regularly visit vacant homes to prepare them for walk-throughs by prospective buyers. She related that in certain houses, particularly ones that had sat empty for extended periods of time, there was a certain type of palpable "atmosphere" present. 

She was of the opinion that somehow, the emotions of the lives lived there over the years were somehow concentrated and were manifesting as an energy of some type that could be felt.

Dunno. I should probably add that at one point she had worked in a funeral home, and was usually alone at night, tasked with locking the place up, so the idea of ghosts/spirits held zero credibility for her. 

I have only had one experience in my life that I would categorize as "paranormal", and while I'm not sure about her "energy" theory, it seems at least slightly more plausible than the idea of dead guys floating around their former domiciles.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As I understand it, realtors are required by law to inform prospective buyers if a property is thought to be haunted. Failure to do so can be a deal killer.

When I was looking at my previous house, the realtor told me several ghost stories connected with the place. I bought it anyway, and said that if I saw any manifestations I would post signs for the ghost that said "Remember You Are A Guest Here!"

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Huh. Must have something to do with us driving on different sides of the road.

I wondered why you guys had the steering wheel on the incorrect side of the car. And - PLEASE - stop calling it "gas" when you fill up. I know gas is short for gasoline, but us Brits fill the car up with "petrol". Get it right. ;-))

I will have to check out the book Mr Byrne recommended. I've read nothing like that previously.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Don't start, Parry! After almost sixty years I still trip over Britisms -- like when my American editors remind me it's "that", not "which".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, I did find myself referring to a tin of beans the other day, and asking my wife to put something in the boot. I have (sadly) never been to the U.K. Must be too much Monty Python.

The supernatural, I think, describes EVERYTHING - until a scientific theory is determined and proved. Ghosts? Bigfoot? Telepathy? Teleportation? Not possible BY OUR CURRENT KNOWLEDGE. Maybe never existent.

But, as the example I use, magnetism was impossible... and unprovable for anyone who lived in a wooden area. "Old Barnaby is mad, claiming that this metal actually clings to another substance! Put it on that tree... you see? Balderdash!"

I would need a LOT of proof to convince me of most of the issues discussed in this topic. Scientific proof... not just eyewitnesses.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

But, as the example I use, magnetism was impossible... and unprovable for anyone who lived in a wooden area. "Old Barnaby is mad, claiming that this metal actually clings to another substance! Put it on that tree... you see? Balderdash!"

•••

Unlikely scenario.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Apparently the family that owned the Amityville house after the famous (or would that be infamous) Lutz family lived in the house for over 30 years and did not see or hear a single odd occurrence (other than gawking tourists). 

Still, supernatural accounts aside, it would be somewhat unsettling to me to sleep in the same room where people had been murdered

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version