Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Will Disney Stop Publishing Marvel Comic Books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Had Disney shut down Marvel publishing upon the acquisition, we likely wouldn't have had two very successful Guardians of the Galaxy movies. I think those at the top are likely smart enough to see this point. 

From a development standpoint, comic book publishing provides an opportunity to try something with a dispersed audience, tweek it, and ultimately see how it does with an audience before investing hundreds of millions of dollars.  I think as long as the publishing arm retains its high operating income in publishing, Disney won't have a reason to shutter it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't imagine Disney shutting down Marvel Comics. I can imagine them saying "either make the comics 'normal' again and easy for news readers to follow and quit changing everything for the sake of changing everything or we're going to unilaterally replace all your editors and writers with people who'll do what we want you to do." 

I'm not normally into that kind of authoritarian edict but in this case I'd say amen and halleliujah.

For the record I have no problem with introducing characters who are something other than white heterosexual men (or women) and trying to make them prominent Marvel characters. I do have a problem with calling them "Thor," "the Hulk," "Spider-Man," "Captain America," etc. (Ms. Marvel gets a pass because Carol Danvers has had several names over the years -- remember Binary? Warbird? I can handle her being "Captain Marvel" even if I much prefer the old Dave Cockrum costume.)

And if Marvel wants to push "diversity" why do black characters keep getting killed (Bill Foster, James Rhodes)? Why isn't there a Shang-Chi series? Why not hire a writer and artist who live in Japan to do a Sunfire series? Canadians to do a Northstar series? I could go on...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hmm.  Does Marvel need Jim Shooter again?

*ducks*

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ha ha, Shaun. I dunno, but maybe it needs Bob Harras again?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No, it needs...me.

I'd abolish regular events. Events would take place as regularly as the FIFA World Cup.

I'd insist on standalone tales, with occasional 2/3-parters. 

At least once a year, in what I'd call Editor's Month, I'd ask three books to do cross-pollination. So I'd say, "X-Men editor, I want you to bring Doctor Octopus in for one month. And Daredevil editor, I want you to have Daredevil face Shocker. And you, Spider-Man editor, I want you to send Spider-Man to the Far East to face Mandarin. Go!"

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I find it interesting at the backlash of fans who are not happy with female/minority Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc.  (I happen to be in that camp too--I would rather take Thunderstrike or Beta Ray Bill over female Thor).  It's neat though that DC had success with this -- Hal Jordan was a "new" Green Lantern, Wally West was a "new" Flash and there have been many Robins over the years.  

It must be frustrating for Marvel and DC because their comics fan base is getting smaller and smaller, but their history keeps getting bigger.  I remember a scene from Star Trek (DS9) where the captain is holding a baseball from a forgotten era.  I saw that and was like "yeah right", baseball would ever disappear.  Now I am not so sure!  (about comics anyway).

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think an interesting aspect of this is to see how invested Disney is in Marvel comics with what I think is an obvious indicator - does the House of Mouse sell Marvel Comics in its parks? Those are merchandising money factories... are Marvel items for sale at Disneylands or Disney World?

I still sadly believe that comic books are in a death spiral and the audience is too dissipated to ever recover. But Disney might have the clout to do so... if they want to. But the efforts would have to be Herculean and even if Disney DOES want to... can they find the right personnel to bring it about? DO such talents still exist?

Purely as an example, I wonder what Mr. Byrne would think if Disney - not Marvel - came to him and offered him a job to clean-sweep and restructure Marvel to salvage it.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

are Marvel items for sale at Disneylands or Disney World?-----

Yes. At least merchandise is for sale, not sure about comics themselves.

Edited by John Popa on 16 August 2017 at 11:49am

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Comics are being sold in Disneyland and Disney World in the US, I can confirm from first hand experience.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree that "Spider-Man Cancelled After 50 Years" isn't a headline Disney would much care to see. It would at least be preceded by some kind of attempt to revamp the comics line. This is assuming, however, that Disney cares if the comics sell or not...?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John and Joseph - cool! Thanks for the heads up! Good to know... that means that Disney gives a damn. So I reckon Marvel is somewhat safe under Disney's control, for the moment at least.

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree that "Spider-Man Cancelled After 50 Years" isn't a headline Disney would much care to see.

----------------------------------------------
They Cancelled the flagship title Fantastic Four without any remorse.
They'll just licence spider man to another publisher like they have with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
Reminds me of when Warner Brothers was pondering licensing DC books to Marvel. 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version