Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Was TNG Influential? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Paul Gibney wrote:

Next Gen was tonally a very different show...The characters were relatively bland. Not a group of friends, these were work-mates. There were few personality clashes...The show was, too often, more about the technology (or technobabble, really) than about the people. The show, to me, seemed too self aware. It tried too hard, if you will.
---------------------------------------------------------Sor ry for truncating your quote a bit, but I agree with this entirely.

I'm surprised at just how non-descript TNG is, and yet, at the same time, how heavy-handed it can be, as someone - usually Picard - gets to deliver the speech that tells us "what the message of this episode is".

Yes, ok, Kirk wasn't averse to some grandstanding, but TOS was better at telling stories that could be watched as exciting adventures while using metaphors than meant messages could be inferred by the audience, rather than being rammed down their throat.

Oh, and Counsellor Troi? On the bridge? WTF was that about?
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Official 30th anniversary next month...

I'll be rewatching the series from the beginning, for the first time in about 10 years or so.  Not sure how influential the series was as a whole on pop culture (can the general public really name off any of the characters, the way some can probably mention Kirk, Spock, Scotty, etc. before drawing a blank?), but I was quite the devotee back in the day, during its first run.

Lots of memories to uncover, at the very least!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Official 30th anniversary next month...

I'll be rewatching the series from the beginning, for the first time in about 10 years or so.
++++++++++++++

Okay, listen. I've decided that, as long as the show remains in Heroes & Icons channel's rotation, I'll also be revisiting it in a dedicated "TNG Revisited" thread. The current repeats are now nearing the end of the series, and they should be coming back 'round to the first season, in a few weeks.

Ya wanna wait 'till, then, Shaun? It'll make for good discussion if we get a group rewatch going.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Of course!  That was my plan, actually... much like revisiting TOS for its 50th last year, I plan on rewatching TNG in its original broadcast order, and trying to adhere to the original weekends as much as possible, as well.

I had just started my junior year of high school when it first aired... I can remember it almost like yesterday.  Scary!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, since TNG is being "stripped" six nights a week on H & I, my pace is gonna be considerably faster! As long as they don't pull it from the rotation, I should be good. It would be stupid if they pulled it right around the time of the 30th anniversary!

Since I'm too cheap and too busy to get into streaming services (...unlimited access to thousands of shows and movies equals overload!)' plan "B" would be finally plunking down for the series on disc. We'll see what happens.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Not sure how influential the series was as a whole on pop culture (can the general public really name off any of the characters, the way some can probably mention Kirk, Spock, Scotty, etc. before drawing a blank?)

I'd say Picard, Data, and Worf are the most easily recognizable 'trio' to the general public but more than that is pushing it.

It probably goes something like this:

"I remember the Captain guy.  He's bald, right?  Then there's the guy with the crazy forehead.   Oh, and I remember the guy who's a robot with the weird skin... I think that's Dr. Spock"

:-)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh god, Dr Spock, eh? I remember my mother saying something like, "Dr. Spock from STAR TREK, right?" No, mum, it's MR. Spock! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My favorite is "the STAR TREK Enterprise", instead of "starship".

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Greg, I promise not to jump ahead even tho I'll be watching on netflix. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version