Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Disney leaves Netflix Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I cut the cord a year or two back. I have Netflix and Prime (as Matt said, bonus since I get my money's worth with the shipping) as well as WWE Network and Shudder, a horror streaming service. I use Sling TV to get the few channels I need (mostly ESPN and I'll pay a couple bucks a month to get the SEC Network during football season.) Otherwise, I use a HD indoor satellite to get the networks.

I go back and forth on Hulu, sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't based on their original content. I'm not paying for it now but will once Stephen King's 'Castle Rock' series appears, at least for a month or so.

In a lot of ways Netflix is the least of the services to me. I mostly use it to watch TV shows, but not even their original content, just things I like to binge watch in the background when I'm doing other things. Their movie selection is poor, in my opinion, or, at least not much in tune with my tastes.

The smart thing these streaming services is doing, in my opinion, is being willing to go month-to-month instead of selling long contracts. Their numbers probably fluctuate but I'd guess they get more casual subscriptions along the way. (I've done no research, mind you.)

I can't imagine paying for a Disney streaming service, even if they do take the Marvel and Star Wars properties with them. I enjoy that stuff but if its not convenient, I'd be fine with missing it. I rarely watch Marvel movies beyond one theater viewing, although I enjoy them.

Edited by John Popa on 12 August 2017 at 9:58am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think the Disney streaming service would be most beneficial to parents of young children who like watching the same thing over and over and over again. I think Disney was focused on that market as well, given that discussion is still open with Netflix about keeping Marvel and Lucasfilm at Netflix. 

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Naturally, Netflix controls its original shows, so they aren't going anywhere."

Is that necessarily true? I see a lot of content being promoted as "Netflix Original" that I know is actually being licensed from other providers. Series like Peaky Blinders and Happy Valley were originally BBC productions, for example, but appear on Netflix as "Originals". Likewise, The Marvel series must require a licensing deal. Surely there's a chance those shows might be pulled when the current licensing arrangements run out.

Is there a chance Disney's ownership of Marvel might one day result in Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones et al. being pulled from Netflix and moving to their own network?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Warner Bros. is supposedly going to set up their own streaming service, too, which will be their home for WB animation, and possibly for live action programming. You can easily spend as much on streaming channels as you would for high-end cable service, but the upside is you're getting a custom set of channels featuring the programs you really want, instead of the five channels you watch all the time plus a hundred channels of filler.

In the long run, I'll end up missing out on some original content that I'd really like to see, I suppose, but if there's a show or movie that I know I'll want to watch over and over again, I almost always end up buying it on DVD or Blu-ray so that I don't have to worry about Netflix gaining or losing a series.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ooh, it's looking like Netflix has got a counter punch.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version