Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Ant-Man and The Wasp ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I should also say I got a big kick out of the shout-outs to THEM! (obvious) and NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (appropriate!).

Edited by Shaun Barry on 08 July 2018 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

Tshombe K. Hamilton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This was a pretty good movie. Very pleased.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

After seeing the de-aged Pfeiffer, Fishburne and Douglas in this movie I can 
see how there won't be any issues having Phil Coulson in CM set in the 1990s. 
They have the digital trickery pretty much mastered at this point. 
That was Langston Fishburne, not CGI.

------

My understanding is that it was Langston Fishburne with his father's face CGIed on.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I saw it this weekend and I did enjoy it for the most part.  I think it was better than the first one.  However, in the end, I felt it was just a "side story" to what was going on in Avengers: Infinity War.  A reason to really hammer home what Thanos did and how deeply it affects everyone.  That, to me, really lessened the enjoyment of it.

Right now, I think I will only see 2 more Marvel movies:  The second part of Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther 2, then I'm done.  The movies has been falling flat with me the past couple of years, except for Panther.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

However, in the end, I felt it was just a "side story" to what was going on in Avengers: Infinity War.  A reason to really hammer home what Thanos did and how deeply it affects everyone.

-----

Huh?

Without the mid-credit scene, it had absolutely zero to do with AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR. I enjoy the connection and teasers with those mid-credit scenes, but they should be enjoyed for what they are, teasers for an upcoming film, and not a crucial part of the movie.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael, obviously we got different feeling from the movie and how it ended.  IMO, the movie probably should have started out with a "Meanwhile on the coast..." up on the screen

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

IMO, the movie probably should have started out with a "Meanwhile on the coast..." up on the screen

——-

There’s no indication when the mid-credits scene takes place in relation to the rest of the movie, but enough time had passed for Ghost to need another treatment, for her to reestablish contact and come to terms with the Pyms, and for them to come up with and construct a solution. (And for Hank to work out the bugs in the new Ant-Man suit, for that matter. There’s nothing suggesting that the events of ANT-MAN AND THE WASP were happening contemporaneously with INFINITY WAR.

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and like it better than the first.

They kept making mentions of time vortexes in the quantum realm and how Scott should be careful to avoid them. Anyone think this might be how the Avengers time travel back to defeat Thanos (and free Scott at the same time)?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My daughter about exploded when the end credit revealed the rooftop occurrence. 

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, I loved this movie, like Matt from beginning to rockin' end.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In the Infinity War movie, it was specifically stated that Scott (and Clint) was under house arrest. In this film, we saw him during his final weekend of house arrest.

For anyone who wants to be a real stickler for continuity, you can figure out exact placement in your mind. It's no biggie.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In the Infinity War movie, it was specifically stated that Scott (and Clint) was under house arrest. In this film, we saw him during his final weekend of house arrest. 

For anyone who wants to be a real stickler for continuity, you can figure out exact placement in your mind. It's no biggie.

-------

I believe you are incorrect. It's stated that Scott and Clint "took a deal". The specifics were not stated.

ETA: Checked again, and house arrest was mentioned. Regardless, the line wasn't "Scott is currently sitting in house arrest at this moment."

The film specifically didn't have any INFINITY WAR references until the very end.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 09 July 2018 at 1:23pm

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The family and I really enjoyed this flick! I will see it again in the theater.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

To me it was going to be quite obvious that this film takes place just before and along side Infinity War (for the most part) even though no mention of what occurred in NY in Infinity War was mentioned.  After Infinity War came out I kept telling family and friends that this movie had to end in some aspect with the ending results from Infinity War to catch Scott and gang up which this movie did.  This movie was fun to watch and then reality had to hit us smack dab in the face at the end. I was quite excited about it, though my wife was quite surprised. I had to quickly reminder what the end credit was showing. Up to that moment she quite enjoyed the movie, but was then saddened by what we saw, especially with all that everyone went through during the movie to only end up as they did.  I can relate somewhat, because Infinity War picked up right after Thor Ragnarok and the wind of Thor and gang's victory over Hela (at a big cost) was knocked out of their sails when Thanos showed up.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don’t think anyone would argue against ANT-MAN AND THE WASP happening somewhat close to the events of INFINITY WAR. Both take place more than two years after CIVIL WAR. But to suggest that ANT-MAN AND THE WASP is a side story to INFINITY WAR is supported by nothing within the movie. Except for the allusion to events of CIVIL WAR, which are recapped enough times by Agent Jimmy Woo, Hope, and Luis that needing to see CIVIL WAR becomes unnecessary, it’s a stand-alone story, credits scene aside.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

IMO, the movie probably should have started out with a "Meanwhile on the coast..." up on the screen
--

Why?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

So critics who hate the shared universe aspect have something else to complain about in their reviews.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Liked it a lot. Saw it for review a week ago Monday and took my wife to see it Thursday. Gave it a solid B+. And in the mid-credits scene, Janet basically tells the audience how the Avengers will beat Thanos...

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

BEST. STAN LEE CAMEO. EVER.

This is a great movie, can't wait to see it again!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Doug Jones wrote:
 Kevin Brown wrote:

Why?

Yeah, I've been struggling with this answer from Kevin since he first posted it.  Really makes absolutely no sense to me.  Can't see how a mid credit scene can retroactively affect the enjoyment of an entire 2 hour film.  I especially can't see how anyone would think that ANT-MAN wouldn't be somehow connected to the larger whole somehow.  That said, it's only in a two-minute scene that ends the film.  Otherwise?  It's a standalone.  You really don't need to know a hell of a lot more than what was given as backstory by a couple of characters to get the gist of the film, one that absolutely picked up on threads left by the original and not any other film. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

BLACK PANTHER, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, and ANT-MAN are all informed by the events of CIVIL WAR, but you don't necessarily have to have seen it, as its pertinent aspects are revisited within the respective films (T'Chaka got killed, Peter got a suit upgrade and had his first real superhero fight, Scott helped an outlaw Captain America with stolen Pym tech and now he's on house arrest and Hank and Hope are fugitives...and kinda pissed at him). 

Otherwise, they're largely standalone (HOMECOMING, less so, with the whole Iron Man thing).

The "shared universe" crossover aspect is not new to these movies....it's kinda been their main point. But to comic book readers, especially, it should not be jarring. And the cliffhanger concept is a superhero comic staple, but far from unique to that genre.

I'm not sure how one would go to the 20th (!) MCU film, featuring one of the few major MCU characters who was noticeably absent in the BIG one that preceded it by just a few months...and be shocked (or worse, disappointed) that it wouldn't somehow tie in. 

My wife is not nearly as much a fan of these movies as I, but she's been a trooper, and sat thru two of my three INFINITY WAR viewings. She enjoyed ANT-MAN AND THE WASP and gasped as audibly as anybody else in the audience when Hank, Jan, and Hope dusted off and Scott was trapped in the Quantum Realm. I thought it was a great moment...and, as I've said often about the MCU movies...felt like something right out of the old comics. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Totally agree with the comment that Jan said how Thanos will be defeated. 

I also got the vibe she was a stand-in for the Traveler that was one with the Enigma Force in the old Micronauts series. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I really enjoyed this.  I was worried it was going to be too silly but it wasn't at all.  There was a lightness but not at the expense of our heroes or the stakes surrounding them.  It got it just right.  

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I enjoyed the first ANT-MAN, and had expectations for this one. They were... exceeded! A truly enjoyable romp of a movie, with charismatic turns from the leads. Light-hearted and fun, without ever getting silly. And it's always nice to see Michelle Pfeiffer!! 

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The whole family enjoyed it a lot !

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version