Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Ant-Man and The Wasp ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

New TV spot makes me really excited to see this.

Looks action-packed but I'm hoping it's not too comical.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Early word is lookin' good!

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just for the record, as much as I enjoyed the first movie, part of me wishes this franchise focused on the adventures of Hank Pym and Jan van Dyne in their prime. 

-C!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

With CAPTAIN MARVEL being a 90s period piece, Iím hoping this opens up the potential for an 80s prequel with Hank and Jan. Bonus points for bringing back Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saw it tonight at the world premiere here in Hollywood thanks to an invite from fellow Byrne Board member Jeff Fettes.  Won't spoil a thing but will say that if you enjoyed the first one, you'll love this one.  I did.  Looking forward to seeing it again when it opens in less than two weeks.  

My lips are sealed...for now...  ;)

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The first one is absolutely one of favorite Marvel movies. They found the right tone to make you care about Scott and want him to succeed. It helps that Paul Rudd is such a likeable actor.

I'm definitely ready for next week. Based on the early reviews it's looking like a great year all-around for Marvel. It won't be the box office success of Black Panther and Infinity War but I'm guessing it'll top the first film by a decent margin.

Hopefully we get a third time around. Maybe get an Iron Man/Ant Man team up. Take on Justin Hammer as a possibility?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's hard to balance this movie against its comicbook counterpart, since they are taking one from column A and three from column B when it comes to backstory.

Worth noting that Hank and Jan were one of at least two May/September couples Stan and Jack introduced. When we first met her, Janet van Dyne was a recent debutant, while over the years Hank's story kept getting stretched further and further back.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, Hank was already a widower when he met Jan, after all.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

With many already having seen premieres held around the country and a Thursday night "preview" just a day away, I thought it prudent to add a SPOILER WARNING to the thread title.  No need for inviso-text or talking in generalities from here on out.

Beware ye who read posts after this one.  Ye have been warned!!!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, thatís me out fo nearly a month. Bloody football (although was nice to see England has finally learned how to take penalties. Still cannot stand the level of bare faced cheating in front of the red thatbwent on last night)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Well, thatís me out fo nearly a month. Bloody football (although was
nice to see England has finally learned how to take penalties. Still cannot stand
the level of bare faced cheating in front of the red thatbwent on last night)

Huh?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In the U.K., the film has been delayed until the end of July due to the World Cup & the effect it would have on ticket sales.

Last night England played Colombia & the Colombians were somewhat overly aggressive to the English players, sometimes smack in front of the ref

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

What a fun ride! 

Welcome to the MCU, Wasp!  She was terrific and well worth the wait! 

Iím seeing it again Saturday for the usual Ďdeeper viewingí.  But after fist viewing Iíd say this one was better than the first, but not heavy on the stakes at all.  It does however leave you with your jaw on the floor at the last scene.  Some folks (like myself) saw it coming...but judging by the screams in the theater as the movie ended...well...its clear that some folks didnít. 

🐜 🐜 🐜 🐜  

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A few minutes in I started smiling. And the smile kept popping up throughout the movie. What a fun sequel. I enjoyed the first one a lot so I was really hoping this wouldn't let me down. Far from it. It was just a fun film.

After Infinity War we kind of needed this. The MCU hit a dark turn recently. And this movie just shows how Marvel has been incredibly skillful at managing the tone of not only the individual movies but as part of an interconnected series of movies.

Plenty of laughs. Decent amount of action. And some fun twists along the way.

Laurence Fishburne and Michelle Pfeiffer were solid additions to the cast. Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost was a good antagonist. Walton Goggins was a fairly low-key villain but he was decent.

Beyond that, we got Egghead in a Marvel movie. Admittedly not as a  villain per se but he was still in there. It was a nice element to toss in there.

Without a doubt Marvel has had a great year on the big screen. Three completely different films and they all work on their own terms. Captain Marvel is up next and while I can't say I'm extremely excited for it I am curious to see how that will end up. One thing is for sure. After seeing the de-aged Pfeiffer, Fishburne and Douglas in this movie I can see how there won't be any issues having Phil Coulson in CM set in the 1990s. They have the digital trickery pretty much mastered at this point.

If you liked the first Ant Man get ready for a fun ride. The sequel is definitely worth the effort to go see it.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The whole ride was a lot of fun indeed; I wasn't looking forward to the plot intersecting with Infinity War, although I was satisfied when it did.

Having the maguffin be an entire central location was a cool twist.

Hardcore Bill Foster fans may have a bone to pick (although his character was treated far, far worse in the Civil War comic) but I liked how he wasn't all that villainous, motivated by compassion for Eva and fucking with Hank; I found it relatable.

For a stretch Ghost's implacability and determination had me on her
side. It was a great moment when she burst into X-Con. I felt like the movie telegraphed her popping up and murdering Janet so thickly I was genuinely surprised when she didn't.

Goggins and his gang turning up as a persistent aggravation reminded me of the anarchists in THE BIG LEBOWSKI. 

I thought the first film missed an opportunity to imbue its ants with personality; this one delivered in that respect, without overdoing it. They collectively reminded me of Santa's elves. 

Still, this wouldn't be Marvel if they didn't leave a lot on the table. I guess we'll have to wait for 3 before the gang takes us on an adventure in the quantum realm.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Definitely a fun ride from start to finish.

For all the action sequences and SFX, it is the character interactions that really make this movie work.

Oh yeah... Nice seeing JB's name listed in the Special Thanks section of the end credits.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I just got back from seeing it. Great escape movie. For
the time I was there I forgot how harsh the real world
was and could dream again.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Very fun. Exactly what I want in a movie.

I was concerned that Ghost would Kill Janet at the reunion in an attempt to shock the audience, and I'm so glad they didn't go that way. It would have betrayed the 'feel' of the movies. Give me ten more like this one please.
Evangeline plays confident convincingly, and is easy on the eyes!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Having seen it twice now, this movie is just fun.  It has stakes, but they aren't earth shattering. It has character moments, but they're small (no pun intended).  At the end of the day, this is a pitch perfect example of why Marvel Studios is what they are.  They can create a huge, Earth-shattering film that has implications across their brand and then come out with a little heist movie/comedy and hit home runs with both.  They're immaculate in the way they plan their releases as well as planing the type of film they want to produce at any given time.  It's no accident that ANT-MAN AND THE WASP came out two months after INFINITY WAR. That was not only a plan, but a deeeeeeep plan that shows confidence in their product as well as the long term planning your would expect (but rarely see so well executed) from a studio.  

I love this film, first frame to last.  I think it succeeds in every single aspect.  Even taken apart from the narrative of the MCU, it's a well-made film.  It hits all the right notes and delivers a solid story well worth telling.  Can't ask more than that.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

QUOTE:
Oh yeah... Nice seeing JB's name listed in the Special Thanks section
of the end credits.

You know your wife is on point when she spots JB's name in the credits before
you do. #yetanotherreasonshesakeeper

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I really enjoyed this movie. Solid from beginning to end.

As many have probably read, Ant-Man & Wasp director, Peyton Reed is interested in making a Fantastic Four movie. After his two forays into the MCU I would welcome his attempt. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Saw it with my kids and youngest sister... lots of fun, though not quite as light & breezy as I was expecting.  Despite the welcome addition of the Wasp, I think the first ANT-MAN film is the better of the two.

This one tended to get bogged-down in a lot of exposition, and with enough technobabble to choke a typical episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation."  The actors were all wonderful and continued their fun rapport, but I also feel like the climax (and film as a whole) was being pulled in about 6 different directions at once--felt oddly unfocused at times, and not as clear & concise as it could have been.

However, most of the laughs were great, and Stan Lee's cameo & line got a huge roar from me & the audience--I think it could be his best appearance yet in any of these films... and the after-credits scene got a fairly big gasp out of the audience, too.

All-in-all, another solid addition to the MCU.  No qualms with picking up the Blu-ray in a few more months!

(And I'll say it again:  The shrinking technology & Marvel-science-logic makes no consistent, believable sense throughout the entire film... much like Part 1!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 08 July 2018 at 3:45pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Really enjoyed this one. Action and humor well handled, and it really was nice to see one of these movies where Everything Turned Out Fine (well, before the credits, anyway). Villains were stopped, victims were saved, no lives ruined, etc.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

After seeing the de-aged Pfeiffer, Fishburne and Douglas in this movie I can
see how there won't be any issues having Phil Coulson in CM set in the 1990s.
They have the digital trickery pretty much mastered at this point.
That was Langston Fishburne, not CGI.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Matt summed up my thoughts perfectly...fun movie...good guys win...do stuff
to show why they're the good guys.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version