Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Editors say the darndest things Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't even know how to react to this, but what really boggles the mind is how the company that employs this guy has not issued a follow-up statement of any kind. Are we to assume that the OFFICIAL tag is real? Is this really how the bosses at Marvel/Disney feel? 

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That IS Stephen Wacker's Twitter account, it's not a fake account.  And, no, I am not surprised he feels that way.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Should they feel that the only real fans are the ones who've reading Marvel for decades?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think the world would be much better if everyone ignored crazy policy announcements made on Twitter. But that discussion belongs in another thread. 

If he's trying to say that Marvel Comics should be welcoming to new readers and that older readers shouldn't feel entitled to the characters, I don't disagree with that sentiment, but he said it really stupidly, and more importantly, it's not reflected in what Marvel is putting out. 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think he's trying to say that the new fans are just as important to the company as long-time fans are as far as insuring the company's success.

I guess.

I don't know how it makes any sense or why anyone would ever say it though.  You have to keep brand loyalty in mind when you say something like this.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Is he tr.. ah all I've got is... sigh.

Edited by Gundars Berzins on 31 July 2017 at 12:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Way to take a remark out of context. 

This response was off the back of a wave 'men's rights' trolls dogpiling Heather Antos on Twitter, some of whom would use the length of time they'd been fans to prove that they knew what 'real' Marvel was about and thus try to justify some pretty vile misogyny they were throwing at her. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really don't see the problem with that. You don't measure fandom by the amount of time one has been reading comics. The person reading comics for 5 minutes could be a 10 year old discovering Spider-Man for the first time. Their imagination could be exploding with wonderful dreams about the wall crawler. Where as someone who has been reading for five decades could hate the direction that Spider-Man has gone in.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Way to take a remark out of context. 

This response was off the back of a wave 'men's rights' trolls dogpiling Heather Antos on Twitter, some of whom would use the length of time they'd been fans to prove that they knew what 'real' Marvel was about and thus try to justify some pretty vile misogyny they were throwing at her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just read about this on facebook. The poor girl did nothing wrong and a bunch of jerks attacked her for no reason. The whole thing is just so pathetic.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Way to take a remark out of context.   This response was off the back of a wave 'men's rights' trolls dogpiling Heather Antos on Twitter, some of whom would use the length of time they'd been fans to prove that they knew what 'real' Marvel was about and thus try to justify some pretty vile misogyny they were throwing at her. 

------

The MRA guys are assholes. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think he's trying to say that the new fans are just as important to the company as long-time fans are as far as insuring the company's success.

••

Sounds like it to me. In which case, I agree.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB - I would agree that if an entertainment company wants to be viable, especially one of this sort, they have to bring in new customers.

The product they put out in the 1960's was designed for this, but eventually they evolved into a business aimed at collectors and speculators, so that ship has sailed.

And clearly being a long-time fan doesn't entitle anyone to be abusive to writers and artists.  I don't think to many of us would enjoy having customers/clients attacking our employees online, no matter how long they've been patronizing our business.

"The customer isn't always right."

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version