Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: TV on DVD Opinions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I only buy DVD and BluRay sets that offer something substantially unique to the package.  

Classic Doctor Who DVD releases are a fantastic example of this.  Between multiple audio commentaries, there's usually a subtitle commentary with trivia/technical details, scans of relevant magazine articles and comics, details of restoration techniques, and occasionally remixed or alternate versions..

Wonder Showzen isnt a show for everyone, but the DVD releases are sublime if you dig that style of humour.

Some DVD sets are just too good (and too good a deal) to pass up.   I had my eye on the Complete Barney Miller set for a long time, but it was expensive (and not available in Canada for a long while).  Before that only the first season was released in possibly the worst case of crapping a TV show onto DVD without any consideration of quality.   So when I found the Complete set for cheap at Costco it was an instant must buy for me.  BTW, I haven't seen the entire series available for streaming.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DOCTOR WHO is a good example. Even if the BBC streamed the entire 1963-89 run, I still would rather buy the DVDs due to the extras you mentioned. 
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I started purchasing DVDs in the early 2000`s because cable was too expensive and I thought that in four years I could have more than enough to choose only from my favorite movies and not depend on what was on on TV. I kept buying DVDs for many years, until Netflix became available and lack of room for my collection became a problem. Too many movies and series that I still remember the story, so less incentives to watch. I believe that I own approximately 1000 DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. At first I thought it was just a bad idea since I could watch them on Netflix, until Netflix started pulling off some series that I like. So I decided to keep my collection and even made a few additions, the most recent was the Twin Peaks Blu-Ray with 10 discs and so many extras, I am really happy I bought it. So, I am one of the few that still love buying discs. Not sure if good player devices will be around for long, technology waves comes so fast that I don't know what to expect for the recent future.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

'Not streaming every episode of the current season' has twice prevented me from catching up with THE AMERICANS. I streamed the first two episodes during the first season, moved on with life for a few weeks, and when I went to watch episodes 3 and 4...episode 5 was the oldest one available.
As George Carlin would say, FUH-UH-UCK YOOOU!

More recently, I noticed FX had the entire series available to stream, without indicating when it 'expired'...and so I ended up missing out on that, too.
Perhaps, given the subject matter of that show, and who its protagonists work for,  it seems appropriate FX would be a bunch of oppressive jagoffs about its availability

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rob Ocelot: "I only buy DVD and BluRay sets that offer something substantially unique to the package."

I would agree with that sentiment, too. Unless there is something that is unique to the DVD/BluRay set, it's simply not cost-effective when many of the series are available on NETFLIX or a similar streaming service, at least in the USA.

I can't speak for other countries availability, however.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version