Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: The Dreaded Deadline Doom! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Interesting, enlightening stories that are contained within a single issue AND respect the characters without change are magnificent. The idea that an editor could and should have a few of these in their desk drawer always excited me. Long ago I thought Annuals and Giant Sized comics that came out were simply made up of these fill in issues that sat too long in a drawer and needed to come out. Can you imagine if Uncanny X-Men #205 never was published or imagine what gems actually never were published? I have several pencil pages from an unpublished comic. The pages are nice and I scanned them long ago to ink, but they have never seen the light of day. Imagine what else out there never saw light of day. With respect to fill in issues, they seem like a great way to turn lemons into lemonade.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 27 July 2017 at 8:00am
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OK, JW, I'll give you the few BWS UXM fill ins...in fact he did quite a few of these in the 200 numbers, so not exactly just fill in issues, rather isolated one shots in between the main stories....Anyway these were hardly the standard for fill ins.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hear the sound of goalposts moving…
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It became all about the singers and not the song. The day sales of Superman comics increased nearly tenfold BECAUSE I WAS DOING THEM we were in trouble. Or deeper in trouble, really.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

J W - I sure as hell WOULD miss it, because I am in no way a fan of Barry Windsor-Smith's art. (But truth be told, I'd likely have missed it, because I'm not such a big Wolverine fan anyhow...)

All things being equal, in a situation where a series issue MUST be missed, I would prefer a reprint to a fill-in - even with my favorite artists. A reprint isn't going to distract me from the current storyline, and in so many cases, if I'm regularly reading a comic, then I'm interested in seeing an older story more than someone stepping in for one issue.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Back when I collected comics, the prospect of a fill-in or no title that month would be a no brainer -- I'd definitely take the fill-in. Yes, it was annoying not to have the regular team produce the issue, and for the story to just be something of a non-sequitur, but... better than nothing.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Exactly. Better than nothing.

Each to their own - and it's fine to have opinions - but I'm surprised by those who would lobby for a reprint. Not for me. :)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't mind fill-in issues because delays dampen my enthusiasm for a title. 

JB nailed it. If people are buying All-Star Batman for Jim Lee and not  Batman, DC can't put Paul Pelletier on art for 3 issues until Lee gets caught up. That's the problem when publishers and internet sites decide that the names who work on the title are more important that the title itself. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To be fair, the ALL-STAR books were advertised as being by certain creators--they were the "All-Stars" in that instance.

The monthly books can have a guest artist or three at any time, but something like BATMAN ODYSSEY or SUPERMAN: COMING OF THE SUPERMEN darn well BETTER be drawn by Neal Adams!  That is literally the point of those series--their reason for existence.

And this is nothing new.  Go back to the 70's and see that when Jack Kirby moved to DC, all the ads proclaimed the books he would be working on.  A guest artist on NEW GODS or MR. MIRACLE during his tenure would have been unheard of.  (It's a little different though when other creators take over once Kirby has left.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shawn may not have implied I was buying that book solely for Jim Lee. I like his art, but I was buying it because the premise intrigued me initially. And I was keen to see what Frank Miller would do.

I was disappointed. After the first issue. The plot wasn't for me.

But, of course, Shawn and others make a good point. However, I can't help but think that Lee should have been taken off the videogame project (or not put on it in the first place). I don't know what his speed is for drawing, but it seems absurd to put someone on a videogame project when an already-irregular book is suffering.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I didn't mind reprint issues as a child of the U.K. in
the 70's as there were gaps in my collection,but I
understand that people who already had the story would be
upset,so fill in issues are better. Trouble is,who of
Marvel or DC does single issue stories nowadays?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Most of the wonky deadline issues from the Big Two in recent years have revolved around delays in big crossover books like Civil War, Age of Ultron, and Civil War II, right? Especially since the New 52 era launched at DC, editors seem to be pretty quick to slot in a guest artist or writer for a month rather than miss a ship date, and most monthly books over on Marvel's side of the fence seem to be scheduled based on three-to-six month story arcs with rotating artists.

In this post-newsstand era, though, who even notices if a book ships a week or a month late? In the eighties, every book hit my local pharmacy like clockwork, and I always knew which books would arrive the first week of the month and which would show up in the third. With everything on two-to-five week shipping schedules now, I don't know which titles are going to hit each week, but I always end up with a nice pile of comics when I hit my local shop.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version