Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Does The Prime Directive Count In Other Universes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Putting aside the fact you're drinking iced tea (why, Eric, why?), that sounds like a novel I'd enjoy. Thanks for the heads-up. 
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't recall the specific text of the Prime Directive ever being explicitly stated on any of the shows. Am I forgetting something? Has the exact text ever been spelled out?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Bread and Circuses" features this...

KIRK: No identification of self or mission. No interference with the social development of said planet.

MCCOY: No references to space, or the fact that there are other worlds, or more advanced civilizations.

...although it's not entirely clear if this is a literal quote of the order as stated in the manual.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That version of the Prime Directive depends very heavily on TOS style aliens, who are indistinguishable from humans.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

and intercourse with a future vessel is forbidden.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That version of the Prime Directive depends very heavily on TOS style aliens, who are indistinguishable from humans.
+++++++

Yep. Or, it assumes that starship personnel would undergo cosmetic surgery to blend in with less human-looking species. 

Visiting species that look human would certainly be easier!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie - why am I drinking iced tea? Too early for bourbon, too late for mimosas, and I don't drink alcohol anyhow. ;)

I wonder if it's worth starting yet another topic about the best non-canon Star Trek work. Mostly the novels, surely, but there are likely some other items that were pretty good.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

+++++++

Yep. Or, it assumes that starship personnel would undergo cosmetic surgery to blend in with less human-looking species.

I don't know that the second point can really be considered, since the only time we saw "cosmetic" alteration was Kirk getting pointed ears, and that was, again, to mingle with an alien race that was mostly indistinguishable from human (even on a genetic level!). This is more akin to Spock wearing a headband or a wool cap to pass for human.

(That kind of manipulation, using transporter technology, lay at the center of my "fix" for the Klingon "problem". Having had their butts handed to them in a few battles, the Klingons created more human looking versions of themselves to lull us into a false sense of security. This acknowledges the lumpy Klingons as the real ones, of course, but I still think it's better than the ENTERPRISE solution!!)

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A very interesting situation of this type unfolds in INTO DARKNESS when young Kelvin-timeline Spock asks his elder Prime-timeline self for info on how to beat Kahn.

Elder Spock rightly avoids giving out any information that could influence events.   It's interesting that younger Spock doesn't resist the temptation to 'cheat' and it's almost as if he doesn't understand how dangerous that sort of foreknowledge would be to both timelines/universes. 

It's an interesting contrast to Prime-Kirk's Kobayashi Maru solution from TWoK -- one doesn't usually think of Spock as a 'cheater' in the same vein as Kirk.

While the Federation appears to recognize that accidental time travel and reality shifting are occupational hazzards and instructs it's officers to conduct themselves accordingly what about non-Federation races like the Klingons and the Romulans?   Messing about with time travel or parallel realities to gain an edge on their enemies seems right up their alley, especially the Romunlans.   Is there something about Starfleet ship/engine designs that makes these types of events more common?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rob, it seems very difficult to call it a "cheat" in a real life setting when lives are at stake. Perhaps that's part of what makes the Prime Directive so poignant... that there are rules that SHOULDN'T be broken, even if it means people will die... because breaking those laws could mean a lot worse.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Knowing that Kahn WAS defeated, there would be no logical (ahem) reason not to accelerate the process. This is not a "Let's kill Hitler" scenario.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version