Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Unfinished Comic Runs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Cory Vandernet's posts from Mr. Byrne's sketchbook with some potential characters for the Captain America run by he and Roger Stern got me to thinking about some of my favorite comic book runs that were never completed because of editorial interference, creative differences, cancellation, etc. 

The one that immediately sprang to my mind was JB's the Last Galactus Story in Epic Comics. I would really have loved to have seen that one completed and released as a collection. (I'd love to see  a collection of it even its unfinished state for that matter. It could include a text page with JB's plans for the ending covered in the FAQ of this forum.) I've noted that this pops up on a lot of different site's top ten unfinished comic book stories. 

Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing is another one I would love to see completed after DC refused to publish the issue with Jesus Christ in it leading him to leave the series right at the end of his planned run. He has stated that he would be glad to do this issue and complete his run if the powers that be at  DC ever change their mind.

There are a few others that come to mind as well, JB's Hulk and West Coast Avengers runs, the Secret Society of Super-Villains, Big Numbers. I'm curious what some other forum members favorite unfinished runs are. 

Also wanted to say it was really great that JB finished the Next Men story. Next Men had been at the top of my list of great unfinished comic runs for quite some time and it was a real treat to get the end of that great tale.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 July 2017 at 3:45pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really did appreciate how DC tried to "close up shop" on a lot of titles before CRISIS hit: Cary Bates finished up his "Flash on Trial" epic; Wonder Woman married Steve Trevor (which must have been some sort of closure for those who had been reading since all those "I can't marry you, Steve, until all crime is defeated" stories of the 50's); and Alan Moore & Curt Swan's last Superman story (Moore really can be great when he's normal).  But not everything gets tied up with a bow.

THE CELESTIAL MADONNA--Steve Englehart's decade-and-company-spanning epic may have been finished at some point, but I didn't see it.  (I believe Marvel did a limited series, but they put such a not-great artist on it, it didn't make a splash and will probably never be collected.)

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SERPENT CROWN, etc.--I started reading during Englehart & Sal Buscema's great run, but I was immediately hit by the reality of the behind the scenes business of comics as Sal left before things were over and Englehart left just after opening a can of worms with the whole "Snap" Wilson thing.  Ideally, I would have liked to have seen these two tie up that era tightly.

LSH BY STARLIN--Jim Starlin (aided by Paul Levitz scripting and the great Joe Rubinstein on inks) crafted what I think might be the finest single issue in comics history with SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #239, which had Ultra Boy on the run and set up a mystery to be solved later.  The sequel appeared later, with Starlin's story truncated and the art ruined by a wholly inappropriate inker--so bad that Starlin took his name off of it.  If Starlin had been allowed to finish the story as intended, the whole thing would have been collectible as a watershed moment in DC comics history.

SPIDER-WOMAN--I happen to love Mark Gruenwald's run on SW.  Certainly the fact that it was set in my town of Los Angeles might have had something to do with it, but I just loved the tone Gruenwald and Infantino set with it--trust me, it was the perfect L.A. comic.  Suddenly, they left and I had to sit through jarring abrupt changes for the next few years until the series was finally put out of its misery.  When I recently found out Gruenwald's leaving was not his choice and he had 100 issues he could have written and he was heartbroken being replaced, I was heartbroken too.

OMEGA AND HOWARD--Likewise, I could have read 100 issues each of Steve Gerber's HOWARD THE DUCK and OMEGA THE UNKNOWN (a highly underrated concept).  At least over 30 issues of his HOWARD exist, but OMEGA barely had a chance.  And Gerber never even got the chance to finish the story.

In an industry where literally hundreds of throwaway issues of the "Big Guns" can be cranked out decade after decade, is it really possible that we only have five issues of THE SHADOW by Mike Kaluta?  Just doesn't seem right.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 25 July 2017 at 7:17pm

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB's Last Galactus story is certainly one I would love to see finished. Also, FF and WCA.

I was also a fan of CrossGen and would like to have seen Negation War and some of their other titles given a satisfactory ending.

Fell from Warren Ellis was supposed to get more issues but never did and I really enjoyed it.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
In an industry where literally hundreds of throwaway issues of the "Big Guns" can be cranked out decade after decade, is it really possible that we only have five issues of THE SHADOW by Mike Kaluta?  Just doesn't seem right.

Kaluta only did five issues of The Shadow in the 70s, but he's returned to the character several times since then:

1. Hitler's Astrologer:  a 1988 Marvel graphic novel reuniting O'Neil and Kaluta
2.  The Private Files of the Shadow:  a 1989 DC TPB which reprints the 70s stories plus has one new story written/drawn by Kaluta
3. The two-issue adaptation of the 1994 Shadow movie, published by Dark Horse
4.  The Shadow and the Mysterious Three:  a 1994 Dark Horse one-shot co-written and with breakdowns by Kaluta (finished art by others).

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB's....
  1. Fantastic Four - I would have been perfectly happy to let him go after #300 (I suspect that this is the real complaint when people cite this as not being a long run; it's not a finished run!)
  2. The Incredible Hulk. Six should have been sixty.
  3. Avengers West Coast
  4. JK4W though this may be better considered as cut short rather than unfinished.
The only other ones that come to mind at the moment are Stern's Spider-Man and Avengers runs.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Stern was really rolling on Avengers. The end was sad. Also, of course, with JB on Captain America.

Ah, but if Roy Thomas and Neal Adams could have continued with X-Men...

Kirby's original OMAC series was kooky fun that ended super abruptly!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember reading an interview with JB where he gave details for his plans with the FANTASTIC FOUR up to the 300th issue. When he left Marvel for DC and Superman,  I was very bummed that I would never see those issues as he planned them. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On the infamous side, we have the truncated run of DAREDEVIL: BULLSEYE by Kevin Smith. It was supposed to explain the new look Bullseye adopted,  which was patterned after the character's look in the DAREDEVIL film. 

Smith is notorious for being late on his comics work ( obviously,  he respects other media more when it comes to commitments), and he was greatly behind on this mini-series and the SPIDER-MAN: BLACK CAT mini-series. The DD film was a dud, and Spider-Man took priority,  so Smith finished the Spider-Man series three years later,  or so, but never returned to the DD book. It had but one issue.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Matt, he also has never finished Batman: Widening Gyre. There was supposed to be another mini-series to finish out that story. Kevin Smith isn't the only culprit in that sort of infamy though, Grant Morrison was supposed to do a new Authority and a new Wildcats series with Gene Ha and Jim Lee and got two issues of one and one issue of the other one finished before abandoning them both. Also JMS is pretty bad about not finishing series (Supreme Power, Superman, Wonder Woman) and so is Warren Ellis (Fell, New Universal, Desolation Jones). And with most of these it doesn't seem to be editorial interference or creative differences or cancellation as the culprit so much as boredom or poor work ethic on the parts of the creators. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Kaluta only did five issues of The Shadow in the 70s, but he's returned to the character several times since then"

Thanks, Jason!  I was aware of some of those, but I had no idea about the collected edition and its new story!  I will have to look for that!

I don't have it but I understand Russ Heath inked the graphic novel and, from what I've seen, it looks more like him than Kaluta.  And the Dark Horse books are not quite the same as those glorious 70's O'Neil/Kaluta issues, right?  It just would have been nice for that particular "iron" striking some more while it was hot.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I thought of another one: George Perez's Crimson Plague! I have all 3 of the first 2 issues.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In the case of newuniversal Warren Ellis lost his story files in a computer accident in 2009. 

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version