Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s Avengers - INFINITY WAR SPOILERS start Pg 5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
I also predict that some if not all the OG Avengers who survived what I’m starting to call....”Half-Time®” will sacrifice themselves in order to bring back those that were lost.  At least those lost to ‘the snap’.  

I don't think that many characters will die simply to service this story.  That said?  I think most will come back via the Time Stone but there will be a major death in the next film, one that can't be brought back for whatever reason.  Marvel would be crazy to kill a half-dozen characters in a single swath, but they wouldn't be so crazy to kill one (Cap is my guess) in a movie that makes him even more heroic than he already is.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
David, I believe you have nailed it about the OG Avengers. I was thinking the same thing after someone discussing the film pointed out that it was mainly the original Avengers that were left alive.

There's a logical reason for this.  They left Cap and IM alive because they haven't resolved the issues they have after Civil War. That gives them a scene (or three) to explore it in the next film.  They left Bruce alive because he's, well, brilliant and also the unresolved question about why Hulk didn't want to come out to play.  We know Widow has a film coming out, so she's neither here nor there.  Marvel Studios isn't going to wipe the entire OG Avengers in one fell swoop because that would be suicide. If they're going to do it, they'll do it gradually and not get rid of everyone in a single movie because, honestly, they deserve to go out on somewhat of a high...which is why I think one, but just one, of the Marvel mainstays dies and doesn't come back at the end of the next Avengers film.   

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  

I don't disagree but where the heck was Valkyrie?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Don't know and really? Didn't care.  I assumed she was among the dead and they just didn't show her.  Personally didn't waste much time thinking about it.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saw this film yesterday and so much to say about it when I get the chance bit for now, finally, we got a decent Doctor Strange movie and a decent villain. Where Marvel goes from here - and I mean after the follow-up - I'm not sure, but I can't wait for Ant-Man and Wasp and then Captain Marvel, both of which I suspect will lead to Avengers 4.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matt Reed's "discombobulated" thoughts
perfectly sum up my exact feelings about
the film, better than I could ever
articulate.

Of all the incredible scenes, my favourite
is Steve Rogers stepping out of the
shadows on the subway station just when it
appears that all hope is lost for the
Vision and Scarlett Witch. That scene
perfectly embodied what a bad-ass and
symbol of hope, Captain America is.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
The only plot hole, and really minor, was how did Banner actually get possession of the Hulkbuster armor? Did I miss that?

Yes, you missed that.  He explains that he got it from Tony, even referencing that it's the same suit that nearly beat him in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON.  

I'll watch for that on my second viewing. I don't recall when he could have possibly gotten the suit from Tony since Tony was already off-world.

I did catch Banner referencing the suit as the same one that fought the Hulk. But that didn't explain when Banner came in possession of it. 

Anyway, I'm sure i missed it though.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't think you "just missed it", Robert, or else I did too.  I'll bet the acquisition scene fell victim to time editing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

`I don't disagree but where the heck was Valkyrie?`

I think she was one of the bodies lying in the wreckage,
there was a black female in white armour.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  It set the stakes for how formidable Thanos really is.  It did the thing that the JLA film didn't: from the jump it made us understand who the villain was, his motivation and how dangerous he could be. It absolutely set the stakes in a way that made it feel immediate, threatening and dire.  It was a brilliant move and a perfect set-up to the film we were about to see. I loved it.

-----

It didn't say it wasn't necessary or well done, I said I didn't like it :) 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I worry that the films will ruin Spider-Man. Tom Holland is such a good fit for Peter Parker and, yet, if they keep messing with the suit the character will be nothing like his comic counterpart.

I looked at Spider-Man comic a while back and I acknowledge that he doesn't stick to the classic costume all the time anymore, but I'd like to see to have seen the original version a little longer before they develop the look. (I can just about cope with the change to Cap, Thor and Widow because for all the changes because there has been a gradual progression for me across the movies to the current looks that is in keeping with the plot. Spider-Man, for me, feels a little forced.)

And, on a completely different note, whilst I know scenes in trailer often don't make the final movie, but curious that the Wakanda scenes clearly show Hulk running with the heroes. I wonder if that was because they simply wanted to that he was in the film, or a decision was made to change his story arc. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Did anybody else think something will come of the point Thanos made to Tony after that big fight about “ all that just for a drop of blood?” Tony may have something up his sleeve with that. 

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Wow! I saw it yesterday and quite enjoyed it! It was a different tone than most of the other Marvel Studio movies and I appreciate that the movie ended without a completion. Why?
1. In the comics most big stories continue to the next issue, so why not this one for the movies?
2. Better to spread out the story for character/story development than cram it all in one movie.

It was great to see the various characters meet and team up and in smaller groups that you wouldn't think of (i.s. Thor, Groot and Rocket). Great character dialogs and keeping the characters in "character". A fun scene to me was when Bucky/Winter Soldier/White Wolf picked up Rocket and held him as he spun around so that both of them were shooting down the bad guys together.

Edited by Sam Houston on 29 April 2018 at 11:53am

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  It set the stakes for how formidable Thanos really is.  It did the thing that the JLA film didn't: from the jump it made us understand who the villain was, his motivation and how dangerous he could be. It absolutely set the stakes in a way that made it feel immediate, threatening and dire.  It was a brilliant move and a perfect set-up to the film we were about to see. I loved it.

...and the strings accompanying the scene were operatic. It was transcendent and kicked things off perfectly, IMHO.

I'll add (with not an ounce of shame or embarrassment) - this movie made me tense and uneasy at times; I was actually afraid of the bad guy and for the heroes. Seeing it again tomorrow!     
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Matt Reed, I love you.

I can't add to your discombobulated thoughts. Not much, anyway. You've articulated much of what I have said.

Good point about CGI Thanos. I was embarrassed when, in 1997, Harrison Ford's Han Solo had a chat with a CGI Jabba. It didn't feel real. It was a tad awkward. Even a few years later, well something like Eric Bana's Hulk wasn't totally believable either.

But I feel I can relate to the likes of Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Hulk and Thanos. I definitely feel more positive about CGI now than I did in, say, 1995.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Did anybody else think something will come of the point
Thanos made to Tony after that big fight about “ all
that just for a drop of blood?” Tony may have something
up his sleeve with that.

---
Yes I think the drop of blood will play a part.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I feel surprisingly ambivalent towards the entire film.

Good acting?  Yes.  Fun scenes?  Sure.  Some earned emotional beats throughout?  Yup.  Spectacular visual effects?  You bet.

But even by the mid-point, I just felt pummeled.  I feel I have to agree with some critics that this AVENGERS film is just too darned much of everything.  There were some entertaining sequences, and of course it wasn't hard to laugh at some of the easy camaraderie and one-liners throughout, but if the movie wasn't filled, on one hand, with 10 tons of eye-glazing exposition & pseudo-profound deep thoughts, it was easily filled on the other with about 20 tons of punch-/stab-/fight-o-rama. 

Because of the nature of the climax and end of the film, there was no major applause from the mostly sold-out crowd at my showing, and two comments afterwards struck me as quite telling:  I overheard one teenage girl, out in the lobby, say, "That was really depressing."  The other was from another father, who told his kids, "Don't worry, they'll all be back in AVENGERS 4!"

So the stakes all just seem rather wispy, given that the all-powerful Infinity Gauntlet can probably do almost anything, depending on who gets their hands on it next time.  Nothing really stuck with me, especially knowing that sequels are already in production (or announced) for some of the key players who may--or may not--have met an untimely end in the climax.

And my own pet peeve continues to dog me through this AVENGERS series:  Those unending climactic battles with a faceless army of CGI automatons.  Frankly, those scenes bored me to tears, and given that it was happening on the fields of Wakanda, I also thought to myself, "Didn't we just see this movie???"

I don't know.  It's not a bad film, and I knew it was going to be big, but it also proved to be about as unwieldy as I was fearing it might end up being.  Lots of fun little bits, but I can't honestly say it's a great film, either.  However, my son loves all of the Marvel Studios movies, so maybe my opinion will change, when I see it again someday on Blu-ray.  For now, I don't feel the need to rush out and see it a second time anytime soon.

And that's my old-fart rant for today!  :)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 April 2018 at 2:50pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Why didn't Thanos turn Stark's armor into bubbles or
anything else at that point.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I was really blown away by this movie, and I'm still recovering. Thanos makes for a helluva villain, it was epic on such a scale, and it worked. It all came together and was amazing. Looking forward to seeing this a lot more before it's out of theaters. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The biggest surprise for me was how sympathetic Thanos was in the movie. He truly saw what he was doing as being for the betterment of the universe and wasn’t motivated by evil. Sure, the way he carried it out was pure evil, but for him, the ends certainly justified the means. And the scene with Gamora’s death was well done really brought the humanity within him out. Major kudos to Brolin. He made a character I never really cared about into a villain of epic proportions. 

There were just so many perfect moments in this film. Definitely top of the heap MCU movie. Pretty much my guide to all of these movies is this: does it make me feel the way I felt when I was 10-13 years old reading my favorite Marvel mag? And this one was an astounding YES. 

Also, while a couple of Guardians made their way to earth, notice that Starlord did not. 

I do wish Stormbreaker was more like the Beta Ray Bill version rather than the Ultimate version of Mjolnir, but using part of Groot as the handle was fucking perfect. I actually got chills in that scene as I recalled it from the Walt issue.  

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

It was epic, and I enjoyed it. I'll have to wait to see "AVENGERS 4" before picking this up on Blu-Ray, but it definitely delivered, in my book.

And yeah, that scene with Banner's head sticking out of the Hulkbuster Armor... Ouch.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

That would have been so much better as a practical effect
than shoddy cgi, and likely cheaper!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Saw it this afternoon, and went in completely spoiler-free. Good thing I watched RAGNAROK, last night, since this movie picks up exactly where it left off.

As someone loyal to the comics, there’s plenty to nitpick. It’s the usual mish-mash of comic book elements coated in wacky jokes and CG slugfests. Still not a fan of Spider-Man’s tech-suit, or his being Stark’s ‘lil buddy (and an Avenger). There’s also the usual off-model behavior from characters like Thor, Bruce Banner, etc., but that’s par for the course with these movies.

Fidelity to the source material aside, AS A MOVIE, this is a heck of a lot of fun. It really does capture the spirit of a classic intercompany crossover event. It’s basically four or so separate movies that have all been intercut into one, and yet the tone and the balance of it works quite well. The plot is relatively straightforward, and the joy of it comes from seeing all of these characters in one big adventure and bouncing off of each other in fun ways. Thor and the Guardians are great together. Stark and Doctor Strange are great together.

Still not a fan of the constant snark and cheap jokes, but the ratio of jokes-to-serious is a heck of a lot better here than it was in RAGNAROK.

Josh Brolin is great as (the voice of) Thanos, and the CG used to bring the character to life is excellent. My only gripes with Thanos are the aforementioned change in his motivation, his lack of trademark skullcap, and his facial design. The mouth is too small, and the eyes too human. Those tweaks may make him more relatable, acting-wise, but they also make him less Thanos. Best Marvel movie villain by far.

This really is the culmination of a decade of movies. A lot of plot threads (both big and small) are tied up. We finally see the Red Skull again, too (although he’s not played by Hugo Weaving, and it’s a pretty off-model fate for the character, but at least they finally acknowledged him again after seven years). 

There are any number of plot contrivances. Some necessary, some not. The one that stands out the most to me is that half the universe’s population doesn’t just blink out when Thanos snaps his fingers, which allows for multiple dramatic scenes of beloved characters fading away. I suppose it works on a dramatic level, but it’s still less horrifying to me than how THE INFINITY GAUNTLET depicted it, where it was a sort of Evil Rapture scenario. 

I’m also leery about the level of violence and profanity in a movie ostensibly aimed at kids, but at least things don’t get too dark. The Stark death-fake-out-stabbing scene elicited a “NO!” from one of the kids in my audience, but I knew it would be a fake-out-just as I knew that Thanos would use the Time Stone to rolls things back in order to retrieve the Vision’s stone. Guess I’ve read too many comics!

All in all, the movie contains broad strokes of THANOS QUEST and THE INFINITY GAUNTLET, but it’s structured much more like an old G.I. JOE five-part cartoon miniseries, with each team of Joes setting out across the globe (or the galaxy) to retrieve pieces of the Weather Dominator or some other such MacGuffin. Really, this movie exists just to get all of these characters together, and, on that level, it succeeds spectacularly. 

The post-credits scene is fun, although the almost-f-bomb seemed a bit much for prudish ‘ol me (as well as being a bit too wink-wink for Sam Jackson fans), and the CAPTAIN MARVEL tease is one of those things that civilians will doubtless have no clue about. We’re reaching a point where Joe Q. Public is gonna need a scorecard or a binge-watch to understand all of this stuff. Less time, more money, same mistakes as the comics. I don’t think someone who hasn’t seen most-or-all of the previous movies would have an easy time of this one.

My usual quibbles with comic-to-film adaptations aside, this is still an amazing achievement, and a truly great time at the movies. Chills went up my spine, at various points. It’s rather episodic, rather than plot-driven, and it carries itself mostly on the charm of its inherent cosmic epicness and by bringing so many characters together in one movie. The ending is also a bit...meh. Not quite a shocking, edge-of-your-seat cliffhanger, due to the melancholy way in which it’s presented. The audience I was with almost seemed unsure that the movie was over after that last shot of Thanos cut to black. A little more “oomph”—like a big music cue or a “To Be Continued...” title card—would have been nice.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed it, despite my quibbles. Just getting that classic Marvel mega-crossover vibe alone is worth the price of admission!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 29 April 2018 at 6:59pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Of all the incredible scenes, my favourite  
is Steve Rogers stepping out of the 
shadows on the subway station just when it  
appears that all hope is lost for the 
Vision and Scarlett Witch. That scene 
perfectly embodied what a bad-ass and 
symbol of hope, Captain America is.
+++++-

Ditto. The first scene in the movie that sent a chill up my spine.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ronald, the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak are exactly what I thought of when watching that scene.
+++++++

Ditto. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version