Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Marvelís Avengers - INFINITY WAR SPOILERS start Pg 5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just returned from the 7:00pm showing. 

To use a familiar saying that was used during my childhood:

All Out Action In The Mighty Marvel Manner! 

Thanos was never a favorite villiam of mine but he did live up to the billing. So far the best in the MCU since Loki.

I have to see it again.

PS - This is the Thor I've been waiting for.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Saw it, loved it! All-out action and the best Marvel Studios villain . I was not disappointed other than ha ingredients to wait for the next movie.

SPOILER:

I thought the CGI for Thanos was excellent. The only CGI that bothered me was with the Hulk armor when Bruce Banner's head popped out.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Iím with you on the CGI stuff, Matt. His head looked pasted in as he
stood in the background during one of the final scenes.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wallace, that's exactly the scene I was thinking of, though a few earlier shots of him in the armor were rough, as well. The rest of the CGI looked pretty darn good to  me, so I don't know what happened there.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saw it late last night.

Iím still concerned for the poor girl next to me.  She was sobbing uncontrollably....

Yeah, it was that good.

Remember when you were little and you saw The Ten Commandments for the first time?  Remember how you felt when the death plague began making itís rounds?   That sense of dread?

IW has captured that feeling and weaponized it.

The after credits stinger made the audience cheer like a last second game winner.   

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Saw it last night. I think it is the best "comic book" movie we have to date. It plays like one of those king sized annuals we used to get a long time on the spinner racks. There is almost nothing that takes you out of this movie. Stay till the end of the credits for one stinger.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it on Thursday. I understood Thanos' plan and motivations, but think that they could have made him more evil by portraying him in line with the comics by having him worship / love Death and want to destroy the universe for her.

Under all the CGI, Josh Brolin gave a good performance. 

The movie moved swiftly although the end seemed to just bring things to a halt. I had to remember this wasn't a Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi story move. Rather a 4-5 hour movie split down the middle.

As for Captain America, I think we will see him suit, shield and all in the 2nd half. I can't see Marvel not giving Cap / Chris Evans a good send off.

Tshombe K. Hamilton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished watching it. Was a live action comic book movie cliffhanger and all. 

This was the best Avengers by far.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This makes me want a Dreadstar movie series.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Took my kids Friday, we all thought it was fantastic. An amazing job keeping everything coherent with all the heroes and different locations. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lived up to most of my expectations. Less Hulk than I would have liked.

They seemed to dial back on the whole the-hammer-was-never-the-source-of-Thor's-lightning-powers notion established in RAGNAROK. 

Also, in the opening scene*, where's Valkrie? Killed off-camera? Was the Hulk hiding, at first?  Some of this would be more easily explained away if this didn't pick up just minutes after the RAGNAROK post-credit scene.

These are nit picks, though. Overall, this movie delivers.

*Those first few seconds, anyone else think the Asgardian vessel distress call sounded a little Kobiyashi Maru? Fitting, I suppose, as it leads to no-win scenarios for our heroes...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 28 April 2018 at 12:19pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This one moves into my Top 5 MCU movies. Very entertaining. Felt like a Marvel comic book of my youth. Ending was not what I expected but was true to Thanos and the rest of the MCU characters.

Edited by Jonathan A. Dowdell on 28 April 2018 at 1:14pm

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I LOVED IT. It felt like one awesome finale of the past 2 decades, as it should.

I have zero complaints about the plot because I know some decisions were made so the story could move forward.

I'm with you guys in that the CGI of Banner's head in the Hulkbuster armor was so bad it screamed poor quality in an otherwise near flawless CGI heavy flick.

The only plot hole, and really minor, was how did Banner actually get possession of the Hulkbuster armor? Did I miss that?

Everyone had their moments and nothing felt forced. 

Really looking forward to next year's conclusion.

I have a hunch of an event that might happen in Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Just got home. That was, without a doubt, one of THE MOST INCREDIBLE movie experiences I've ever had. Ever.

A THEORY: 
Vision (and maybe Wanda?) are actually IN the Mind Stone and will play a pivotal role when it comes to taking Thanos down.

A QUESTION: 
Did anyone here think Doctor Strange used The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak in that fight scene on Titan?!

*edited for typos

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 28 April 2018 at 3:41pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Ronald, the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak are exactly what I thought of when watching that scene.

As to your theory, mine is that Dr. Strange did something. He knew there was only one reality in which they defeated Thanos, and told Tony he was sorry at the end because, "there was no other way." I think he did something with the time gem, or with his magic, before handing over the gem to Thanos.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian Rhodes wrote:
...Less Hulk than I would have liked....

I suspect Hulk will get his due (and then some) in the follow up.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

As to your theory, mine is that Dr. Strange did something. 

Right! Either that or the ONE timeline where he saw them win is the one where he gives Thanos the Time Stone. 

Thanos did give Strange a very subtle, quick look before attaching the gem to the gauntlet; almost an "I dunno abut this...but...whatever..." 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I saw it first thing this morning.  I don't have a lot to dispute - I loved nearly every second of it.  I will admit to not liking the first scene and worried the whole thing was going to be, for lack of a better term, that dark and gritty.  But it wasn't, the whole thing had a wide range of tones and emotions and the character interaction was wildly entertaining, often in unexpected ways (where's my Thor & Rocket Raccoon buddy movie??) 

Looking forward to the next one for sure! 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

QUOTE:
Vision (and maybe Wanda?) are actually IN the Mind Stone and will play a pivotal role when it comes to taking Thanos down.

I thought that about Gamora and the Soul Stone, given that her life was exchanged for the stone and Thanos had a vision of her child self when he used the Gauntlet. 

QUOTE:
Right! Either that or the ONE timeline where he saw them win is the one where he gives Thanos the Time Stone.

My thought was that Strange saw that Tony was key to the single timeline where they won, so he was willing to let Thanos win in the short-term in order to ensure that Tony survived. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

This movie was great.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I predict Hulk and Banner become separated in the next movie....and a totally enraged Hulk regains some stature against Thanos in a savage fight that will be a movie highlight.

I also predict that some if not all the OG Avengers who survived what Iím starting to call....ĒHalf-TimeģĒ will sacrifice themselves in order to bring back those that were lost.  At least those lost to Ďthe snapí.   

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

David, I believe you have nailed it about the OG Avengers. I was thinking the same thing after someone discussing the film pointed out that it was mainly the original Avengers that were left alive.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Still processing. Discombobulated thoughts.  Forgive me...

- Thor/GotG mashup.  Pure gold.
- Rabbit. Hilarious!  Rocket decided to not correct him after a time. Hilarious.
- Spider-Man hugging Tony before he faded away.  Nearly made me cry.
- Groot as a teen?  Spot on.  
- The seamless way the Russo Brothers interwove the traditional Marvel heroes with the GotG universe, keeping the fun while also understanding the gravity?  Priceless.
- Thanos as a three-dimensional character
- Thanos as the best CGI character I've ever seen to-date
- The way the Russo Brothers gave every character a moment, and I mean every character.  It didn't have to be big.  It could just be the look between Bruce and Natasha, but they all got something.  
- The perfect melding of comedy and drama.  When it got too heavy?  Bring in the humor.  When it got too light, bring in the drama.  Seamless.
- Multiple locations across a galaxy yet it didn't feel muddled or convoluted.  The story was simple but getting there was half the fun.
- Vison and Scarlett Witch! 
- Stormbringer!
- "You should have aimed for my head."  Classic.

My all-time favorite Marvel film, unapologetically, has been the first Guardians.  This?  This film overtook that one.  This is a master class in combining characters from different and diverse films for what is essentially a cross-over film and making it feel like it earned the right to do what it did which, essentially, ending on the most disquieting, disturbing note that any film in any franchise has ever ended upon.  The closest thing I can think of is Han frozen in carbonate and the Rebellion in tatters.  But even that film ends on a more upbeat note than Thanos achieving his goal and sitting, enjoying the sunset.  That's friggin' BOLD of Marvel and lets you know that they've earned our trust. The theatre was deadly quiet when the end credits rolled, which lent to the gravity of the situation.

This film will never get any accolades re: high brow, Oscar recognition except maybe on the technical front.  But I think it deserves to be considered with respect to the balls they had to juggle and the vast number of characters they had to service all while telling a compelling story.  This is an absolutely amazing achievement in cinema, closing out a decade of dominance and setting the stage for the next ten years.  I couldn't be more impressed or blown away if I tried.  

Wow.  Just...wow.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
The only plot hole, and really minor, was how did Banner actually get possession of the Hulkbuster armor? Did I miss that?

Yes, you missed that.  He explains that he got it from Tony, even referencing that it's the same suit that nearly beat him in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

John Popa wrote:
I will admit to not liking the first scene and worried the whole thing was going to be, for lack of a better term, that dark and gritty.

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  It set the stakes for how formidable Thanos really is.  It did the thing that the JLA film didn't: from the jump it made us understand who the villain was, his motivation and how dangerous he could be. It absolutely set the stakes in a way that made it feel immediate, threatening and dire.  It was a brilliant move and a perfect set-up to the film we were about to see. I loved it.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version