Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s Avengers - INFINITY WAR SPOILERS start Pg 5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 28 2018 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This movie was great.
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 28 2018 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I predict Hulk and Banner become separated in the next movie....and a totally enraged Hulk regains some stature against Thanos in a savage fight that will be a movie highlight.

I also predict that some if not all the OG Avengers who survived what I’m starting to call....”Half-Time®” will sacrifice themselves in order to bring back those that were lost.  At least those lost to ‘the snap’.   

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 28 2018 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

David, I believe you have nailed it about the OG Avengers. I was thinking the same thing after someone discussing the film pointed out that it was mainly the original Avengers that were left alive.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Still processing. Discombobulated thoughts.  Forgive me...

- Thor/GotG mashup.  Pure gold.
- Rabbit. Hilarious!  Rocket decided to not correct him after a time. Hilarious.
- Spider-Man hugging Tony before he faded away.  Nearly made me cry.
- Groot as a teen?  Spot on.  
- The seamless way the Russo Brothers interwove the traditional Marvel heroes with the GotG universe, keeping the fun while also understanding the gravity?  Priceless.
- Thanos as a three-dimensional character
- Thanos as the best CGI character I've ever seen to-date
- The way the Russo Brothers gave every character a moment, and I mean every character.  It didn't have to be big.  It could just be the look between Bruce and Natasha, but they all got something.  
- The perfect melding of comedy and drama.  When it got too heavy?  Bring in the humor.  When it got too light, bring in the drama.  Seamless.
- Multiple locations across a galaxy yet it didn't feel muddled or convoluted.  The story was simple but getting there was half the fun.
- Vison and Scarlett Witch! 
- Stormbringer!
- "You should have aimed for my head."  Classic.

My all-time favorite Marvel film, unapologetically, has been the first Guardians.  This?  This film overtook that one.  This is a master class in combining characters from different and diverse films for what is essentially a cross-over film and making it feel like it earned the right to do what it did which, essentially, ending on the most disquieting, disturbing note that any film in any franchise has ever ended upon.  The closest thing I can think of is Han frozen in carbonate and the Rebellion in tatters.  But even that film ends on a more upbeat note than Thanos achieving his goal and sitting, enjoying the sunset.  That's friggin' BOLD of Marvel and lets you know that they've earned our trust. The theatre was deadly quiet when the end credits rolled, which lent to the gravity of the situation.

This film will never get any accolades re: high brow, Oscar recognition except maybe on the technical front.  But I think it deserves to be considered with respect to the balls they had to juggle and the vast number of characters they had to service all while telling a compelling story.  This is an absolutely amazing achievement in cinema, closing out a decade of dominance and setting the stage for the next ten years.  I couldn't be more impressed or blown away if I tried.  

Wow.  Just...wow.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
The only plot hole, and really minor, was how did Banner actually get possession of the Hulkbuster armor? Did I miss that?

Yes, you missed that.  He explains that he got it from Tony, even referencing that it's the same suit that nearly beat him in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Popa wrote:
I will admit to not liking the first scene and worried the whole thing was going to be, for lack of a better term, that dark and gritty.

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  It set the stakes for how formidable Thanos really is.  It did the thing that the JLA film didn't: from the jump it made us understand who the villain was, his motivation and how dangerous he could be. It absolutely set the stakes in a way that made it feel immediate, threatening and dire.  It was a brilliant move and a perfect set-up to the film we were about to see. I loved it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
I also predict that some if not all the OG Avengers who survived what I’m starting to call....”Half-Time®” will sacrifice themselves in order to bring back those that were lost.  At least those lost to ‘the snap’.  

I don't think that many characters will die simply to service this story.  That said?  I think most will come back via the Time Stone but there will be a major death in the next film, one that can't be brought back for whatever reason.  Marvel would be crazy to kill a half-dozen characters in a single swath, but they wouldn't be so crazy to kill one (Cap is my guess) in a movie that makes him even more heroic than he already is.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
David, I believe you have nailed it about the OG Avengers. I was thinking the same thing after someone discussing the film pointed out that it was mainly the original Avengers that were left alive.

There's a logical reason for this.  They left Cap and IM alive because they haven't resolved the issues they have after Civil War. That gives them a scene (or three) to explore it in the next film.  They left Bruce alive because he's, well, brilliant and also the unresolved question about why Hulk didn't want to come out to play.  We know Widow has a film coming out, so she's neither here nor there.  Marvel Studios isn't going to wipe the entire OG Avengers in one fell swoop because that would be suicide. If they're going to do it, they'll do it gradually and not get rid of everyone in a single movie because, honestly, they deserve to go out on somewhat of a high...which is why I think one, but just one, of the Marvel mainstays dies and doesn't come back at the end of the next Avengers film.   

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 29 2018 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Disagree. That first scene was incredible.  

I don't disagree but where the heck was Valkyrie?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: April 29 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Don't know and really? Didn't care.  I assumed she was among the dead and they just didn't show her.  Personally didn't waste much time thinking about it.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 29 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw this film yesterday and so much to say about it when I get the chance bit for now, finally, we got a decent Doctor Strange movie and a decent villain. Where Marvel goes from here - and I mean after the follow-up - I'm not sure, but I can't wait for Ant-Man and Wasp and then Captain Marvel, both of which I suspect will lead to Avengers 4.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 29 2018 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Matt Reed's "discombobulated" thoughts
perfectly sum up my exact feelings about
the film, better than I could ever
articulate.

Of all the incredible scenes, my favourite
is Steve Rogers stepping out of the
shadows on the subway station just when it
appears that all hope is lost for the