Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s Avengers - INFINITY WAR SPOILERS start Pg 5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have to echo Bill Collins:  Is anyone really bothering to see INFINITY WAR without seeing any of the previous films?
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
I saw Empire strikes back as a kid before I saw Star Wars. You figure it out.

On purpose?

Sure, back when they were coming out once every three years, there wasn't a home video market to speak of, and it took years for movies to make it to TV, you had to do what you had to do. 

But now?  BLACK PANTHER was on home digital last week, on blu-ray tomorrow, and it was still a top-10 movie in theaters over the weekend! You can watch it on a small screen, or...watch it on the big screen, and, when it's over, walk very possibly the next room over and see INFINITY WAR. RAGNAROK has been out on home release for months. CIVIL WAR and DOCTOR STRANGE are on Netflix. It is not difficult to access these movies. 

Using INFINITY WAR as an intentional jumping-on point is a strange choice....because, unlike Lucas, Marvel Studios had things planned out over many films from the start.

EMPIRE as one's entry point into Star Wars is, again, understandable. Not a lot of options at the time of release.  And, since it negates so much of the original, you don't miss much, from a story standpoint. And, of course, they literally spell out what's going on for you at the beginning.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

With the Mind Stone ripped from Vision's skull and his brain being downloaded by Shuri (presumably), this be a way of introducing Wonder Man / Simon Williams (yes, I know about the Nathan Fillion posters in GOTG2), where Vision's mind is downloaded into a human body. I'm sure that's not what they're planning, and it'll work out where Shuri repairs Vision's body and re-downloads his personality into it, but it would be neat.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think Vision losing his color when Thanos took the stone from him is a hint that when he is resurrected by Shuri (provided she survived Half Time) he will be a cold, robotic version of Vision inspired by Mr. Byrne’s ‘ghostly’ take on Vision from WCA.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, it seems the hottest souvenir at the California Disneyland Park is the Infinity Gauntlet Cup...

Which you can wear on your left hand while drinking...

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 15 May 2018 at 9:36pm

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I’d love one of those.....

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, I didn't see GOTG2, Spider-man: Homecoming, or Black Panther -- they were films I just didn't get around to seeing yet.   I was fine.   

I did think I might have missed something between Thor: Ragnarok and the opening -- perhaps a throwaway or end credits scene from BP or GOTG2 but the scene imparted all the story beats you needed to know.   You can complain all day that these characters are off-model from their comic counterparts but at least within the films they are CONSISTENT with that portrayal.   

Could someone see this film cold without any of the others?   Probably not -- I think the writers gambled that 100% of audience has seen or is familiar with at least one of the 15 films leading up to this.   This is a film that celebrates that legacy -- you gain nothing by trying to squeeze in a few more people who must have been living under a rock for the last decade.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was speaking with a couple people at work who took their kids/nieces and nephews to see the flick but hadn't seen the others, or at least, no more than one or two of them. It wasn't that they couldn't follow the story, it's that they didn't understand the audience reactions to a lot of things and characters.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Thanos" arrested in Toronto (well, not really)

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I didn't see GOTG2, Spider-man: Homecoming, or Black Panther...I was fine.   

Yeah, not missing too much there, story-wise (though Quill's "hard life" competiton with Thor might sound made up if you haven't seen GOTG2). HOMECOMING and BLACK PANTHER aren't crucial, especially if you've already seen CIVIL WAR -- which is a pretty key film. That, the first two Captain America movies, the first two Avengers movies, and RAGNAROK are all pretty significant in terms of what follows in INFINITY WAR. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The BBC have an article about which team could replace the Avengers in the MCU. Some truly shocking artwork, including a really bad Alpha Flight cover. But a JB FF cover

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

After seeing the after-credits scene of INFINITY WAR, I wondered if some
members of Alpha Flight might show up since I've seen comicbook art showing
Puck and Sasquatch with Captain Marvel.

(My first inclination was to refer to those two as Judd and Walter, but that only
feels right when I think of them under JB's guidance.)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm going to stick my neck out here and make a prediction.

I think Black Panther will end up with a higher final gross in the USA than Infinity War.

It's still 140 Million ahead and on a day by day comparison, was earning more per day than Infinity War is at this point in its run. This is before Deadpool 2 and Solo having their effect on the film's earnings.

Black Panther for the win. International is a different story of course

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

BLACK PANTHER may have helped and hindered INFINITY WAR. Surely, the wild success of the former helped the opening weekend of the latter, but the fact that it was/is still playing during IW's run may have put a dent in it. IW actually may have given BP a bump.

And, as noted, DEADPOOL and SOLO are coming...

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

After seeing the after-credits scene of INFINITY WAR, I wondered if some members of Alpha Flight might show up since I've seen comicbook art showing Puck and Sasquatch with Captain Marvel.

----

I wonder if they're considered part of the X-Men license.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I thought Fury's message was the maple leaf at first, but once I saw closeups of it online, I realized what it was. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I finally saw this last night. It sure felt like the most ambitious superhero movie ever made. And it didn't feel formulaic. The very fact that the superheroes LOSE at the end...have we ever seen this before? And yes, I know they'll win in Part Two. 

So many characters. Only a few got enough screen time to really assert their personalities. Understandable, but in this movie you're not going to discover what Falcon or War Machine or Black Panther or even Black Widow are "about." 

The General Ross cameo was unexpected. Hell, I didn't expect to see Maria Hill or Nick Fury (Jr.) either. 

I kinda liked Banner getting to enjoy "kicking ass" without his mind being "swallowed" by the Hulk. And I get why the Hulk wouldn't emerge when Banner wanted him to. The Hulk's never had a serious beat-down before. He's either genuinely afraid of Thanos or he's embarrassed that Thanos defeated him. Or both.

Seeing the Red Skull...yeah, that I didn't expect at all.  

I think I know why Doctor Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone. Strange recognizes that Stark is (arguably?) the smartest man on Earth -- and Thanos was about to stab him to death. Strange concluded that even if Thanos got the Time Stone, and then the Mind Stone, and made half of the universe's population fade out of existence, Stark would find a way to fix everything. (Assuming Stark didn't fade away too.) 

But if Stark died a normal death, there would be no way to bring him back. (And yes, that means that Loki really is dead -- I remember reading that Tom Hiddleston isn't renewing his contract.) 

Don't worry about Peter's Spider-Armor. This is a one-time thing. There are preview pics out there of what Tom Holland is wearing for the next Spider-Man movie -- no armor. 

I must ask -- I've never read a comic with Star-Lord in it. Has he always been this much of a not-that-bright hot-head? 

The Peter Dinklage appearance was a wow-I-didn't-see-that-coming moment -- and for once in his life he gets to be Really Tall!

I must wonder, though -- if Titan was so technologically advanced, why wasn't it able to solve its food/water scarcity problem? Doesn't seem right to me. 

But yeah, it's certainly an impressive movie, if nothing else. 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The directors confirmed that Spidey
has a longer death scene because his
Spider sense was warning him.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It seems some enterprising Indonesian fans are offering up Spider-Man / Peter Parker's "ashes' for sale:

Metro Link

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

If Titan was so technologically advanced, why wasn't it able to solve its food/water scarcity problem?

Perhaps for similar reasons as why we have such problems on Earth, despite having some fairly impressive technological (and other) resources ourselves. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 05 June 2018 at 8:05pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

So , I finally, finally got around to seeing it in the theater tonight, so now I was finally able to catch up on this thread. I don't think there is much that I can add at this point, and Adam Shulman only relatively recently added something along the lines of what I thought I could - hiring Peter Dinklage as a Thor Universe character alone is inspired...but having him portray a giant dwarf(!) is just damn near perfect.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

If Titan was so technologically advanced, why wasn't it able to solve its food/water scarcity problem?

Perhaps for similar reasons as why we have such problems on Earth, despite having some fairly impressive technological (and other) resources ourselves.

I also got to thinking "hey Thanos, now that you've got the Reality Stone, why don't you use it to create abundance on all worlds if you're so afraid of the supposed inevitable scarcity problem?"

Of limited imagination, this Mad Titan. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

INFINITY WAR Directors Joe & Anthony Russo have teased that in Avengers 4 there will be a significant time jump forward from the ending of Infinity War.

They also hinted that events in the upcoming Spider-Man, GOTG and Black Panther sequels could take place before the events of Infinity War or feature different characters.

-C!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

"Of limited imagination, this Mad Titan."

Key word "mad", of course.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I thought Feige already said Spider-Man 2 begins minutes after Avengers 4 ends. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I think Vision losing his color when Thanos took the stone from him is a hint that when he is resurrected by Shuri (provided she survived Half Time) he will be a cold, robotic version of Vision inspired by Mr. Byrne’s ‘ghostly’ take on Vision from WCA.

She survived. I'm sure of it. Unless my memory is failing me again. 

And I have no doubt at all that Vision minus the Mind Stone will be, as JB once put it, "a toaster." And he'll stay that way when Wanda is resurrected. And this will put Wanda through the emotional wringer. And JB will get another royalty check.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version