Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: The TV History Of The Klingons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm familiar with the Klingons as they were presented in TOS; ditto TNG; and I know a little about their appearances on DS9; I don't know much about their VOYAGER appearances (was it one episode?); and I am not really familiar with their appearances on ENTERPRISE.

So I'm sort of "blind" on this issue, hence the topic: have they ever been consistent?

I don't recall the TNG version of the Klingons being too much like the TOS version (in looks or anything else); and from what little I saw of them elsewhere, well it just seems that they are a race which have been subject to the whims of writers/producers, not really having any sort of consistency. But I could be wrong about that. My memory could be playing tricks on me - or I could just be wrong, period.

Thoughts?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The first TOS movie began a rapid process of "personality swapping" between the Romulans and the Klingons. It's been downhill for both ever since.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If i remember correctly DS9 had Klingon characters from
TOS played by the original actors,but looking like Next
Gen Klingons not TOS Klingons,i have no recollection if
the inconsistency was explained or not.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In an interview in TV GUIDE at the time, John Colicos (the "First Klingon") said that when he asked about the cumbersome and uncomfortable new makeup and costume he was told to remember that his character was much older on DS9.

Which would have worked, if we hadn't seen lumpy Klingon children!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If i remember correctly DS9 had Klingon characters from 
TOS played by the original actors,but looking like Next 
Gen Klingons not TOS Klingons,i have no recollection if 
the inconsistency was explained or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are remembering correctly.
The Klingons you are thinking about are Kor, Koloth and Kang. They were played by the original actors. Their change in appearance was never addressed.

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was an episode of Enterprise that explained why some Klingons have brows and others don’t. If memory serves, there was a team of Klingon researchers who were trying to augment their race and inadvertently released some kind of plague that dissolved the ridged brows, as well as changed some personality traits. 

It has been a long time, so I might not be exactly right on all the details. I don’t see how if it dissolved the ridges, Kor, Koloth and Kang could grow them back. Plastic surgery maybe?  

I wholeheartedly agree with JB about the “personality swapping”. I found the TOS Klingons much more interesting. TNG & DS9’s constant focus on Klingon honor was tedious.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was an episode of Enterprise that explained why some Klingons have brows and others don’t. If memory serves, there was a team of Klingon researchers who were trying to augment their race and inadvertently released some kind of plague that dissolved the ridged brows, as well as changed some personality traits. 

It has been a long time, so I might not be exactly right on all the details. I don’t see how if it dissolved the ridges, Kor, Koloth and Kang could grow them back. Plastic surgery maybe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The two part episodes were Affliction and Divergence.

Doctor Antaak, the Klingon doctor responsible for the virus in the first place says that his career as a geneticist is likely over. So he should look for a new  specialty says maybe cranial reconstruction. So it's reasonable to assume that Kor, Kang and Koloth had the reconstruction surgery done.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wholeheartedly agree with JB about the “personality swapping”. I found the TOS Klingons much more interesting. TNG & DS9’s constant focus on Klingon honor was tedious.

I also have the feeling that there is a switch from a modern industrial militaristic civilization with a warrior culture background to a fully traditionalist warrior culture that is all about conquest and glory and less about actually building and managing an interstellar civilization.

Edit: I had to think about issue 15 "Sam".
I don't see these Klingons ever having a "friendly chat" with a Starfleet member like Koloth had with Kirk, showing that it is not all about combat and glory and all the tropes the Klingons have descended into.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 26 July 2017 at 5:54am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version