Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Why Did Paramount Reboot The Trek Universe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Forum Member Paul Gibney has long been advocating an anthology series called FEDERATION. Each episode would explore a different aspect of the growing cluster of planets the Enterprise and her sister ships patrol and protect, except here the Star Fleet presence would be kept to a minimum.

I think if it as sort of TWILIGHT ZONE with a continuing thread.

Back to Top profile | search

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Right about now, a carbon copy of TOS would seem "original"!

In the last few days I have been thinking about the idea of a "Sister" series, or in particular a "Sister ship" series. One that takes place around the same time as the original series.
But that sounds a bit like Discovery now.

I have heard other speak about a Star Trek anthology series but I would have to see it in action first before I consider it to be something that can work.

I myself still would really like to see something taking place after Voyager and Nemesis.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Right about now, a carbon copy of TOS would seem "original"!

In the last few days I have been thinking about the idea of a "Sister" series, or in particular a "Sister ship" series. One that takes place around the same time as the original series.

But that sounds a bit like Discovery now.

Not any version of DISCOVERY I've heard about!!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John, since you are already talking with Star Trek folks regarding New Visions storylines - how about putting some of these good ideas on paper, and sending that up the power chain to whoever decides these things? If that came from someone with your clout, I think they would give it a read.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not any version of DISCOVERY I've heard about!!

Well I meant more like how the idea I suggested sounds a little like how Discovery is taking place around the same time as when Pike commanded the USS Enterprise.
That was the sort of comparison I was making.

Of course we don't know if Discovery will ever make a reference to Pike or the Enterprise.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 22 July 2017 at 11:43am

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Of course we don't know if Discovery will ever make a reference to Pike or the Enterprise.

+++++

I sure hope not!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John, since you are already talking with Star Trek folks regarding New Visions storylines - how about putting some of these good ideas on paper, and sending that up the power chain to whoever decides these things? If that came from someone with your clout, I think they would give it a read.

I'm flattered that you think I have clout, but trust me, no.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think that falls under scripts from outsiders, Paramount/CBS has not accepted those since TNG.
Only scripts from the team of writers they hired are accepted. This might explain some of the very low quality ideas we have seen during the various series because the teams in general were not good science fiction writers or that good drama writers in general.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Marten, I wasn't thinking about an episode/movie script, but a level above that - pitching an idea for a new Star Trek anthology TV series.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

<AP> Rick Berman stated that he was under tremendous pressure from the studio executives to churn out more Star Trek content at the time. They would come to him and say "TNG is ending, and we have all these Star Trek time slots to fill - fill them", so he worked on launching Voyager. When Voyager was ending, the exact same thing happened. He initially refused, but it was then plainly explained to him that if does not do it they will find someone else who will. So we got Enterprise.

So, Berman is using the 'gun to the head' defence now? 

With ENTERPRISE it's abundantly clear how arrogant the then-current "franchise torch-holders" (and how I hate that term when said holders refer to themselves as such) were towards the source material.  TNG at least skipped around contradicting TOS for the most part, just carrying on the aesthetics and canon of the TOS-era films.  

ENTERPRISE and NEMESIS took a right dump on everything STAR TREK that had come before it and painted the entire franchise into a impossible corner, both in popularity with fans and the general public and creatively.  

Think of the post-ENT/NEMESIS era as a canvas that some jackass has painted black and has now handed to you.  There's two ways to go -- you can either roll with it and perhaps creatively use that black to some degree or you can toss the ruined canvas into the garbage and start over with a pristine canvas that's roughly the same shape, but not quite the same...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Can't disagree with that but I would have thrown in Voyager's ending as well.
It was pretty clear that with Voyager "Endgame" and TNG "Nemesis" Berman wanted to close up the 24th Century as much as possible before he would head Enterprise.

Creatively it felt like burning the bridges with the idea that Enterprise and any follow up series to that (if it had been successful) was all the fans would get, covering the late 22th and early 23th century, filling in the blank spots of Star Trek history barely any fan asked for.

I don't know if it would be possible to make a new series set after Nemesis after what has been done to the long running threads have been effectively finished, involving yet another crew and their ship.

And I don't think it would be wise to set it yet another eighty years in the future but barely have the universe experience any progression or change.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 23 July 2017 at 11:14pm

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I hate to say this but...

I would have little issue with a reboot of Star Trek IF:

A - It remained faithful to the original concept, meaning a positive outlook on the future and a sense of adventure and ... discovery.

B - It is focused on story telling, not excessively preachy (looking at you TNG) and not including characters just to meet P.C. goals.

C - It is an HONEST reboot rather than trying to claim it's not.

Somehow - I don't think something like that would happen with any of the ... people ... in charge at Paramount or CBS.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

C - It is an HONEST reboot rather than trying to claim it's not.

I don't know if the store Woolworths existed outside the UK, but they are now defunct. They used to have a pic 'n' mix section - basically, a variety of sweets (chocolate mice, strawberry laces, mints, etc.). You could choose whatever you wanted, you put it in a bag and then had it weighed. You could, if you felt inclined, have one kind of sweet. Or you could, well, pick and mix. 

This seems to be the way now with creators, i.e. TREK and the recent DC Comics reboot. Rather than an honest reboot, they seem to want to have their cake and eat it, taking what they want from various eras whilst pretending it's a reboot. It isn't, like you say, an honest reboot.

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Based on this Youtube vid (via Greg Kirkman), it seems as if Paramount (the film studio) had no choice but to reboot the film series...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version