Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Very good!
Back to Top profile | search

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Someone made a "where are they now" documentary about the original cast.  I saw it on the bill of a couple festivals in the LA Area.  I'm interested to see that one too.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Uhmm...... Why?

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree with JB. What's the point of this film? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Maybe...just maybe..it's funny.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Making fun of an incompetent film-maker? Don't think I will be interested in this. 

Just to add, I prefer to celebrate excellence, not incompetence.

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 19 July 2017 at 12:50pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Neil, did you ever see the film "Ed Wood"?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Making fun of an incompetent film-maker? Don't think I will be interested in this. 

Just to add, I prefer to celebrate excellence, not incompetence.

-----

It's the adaptation of successful book, written by one of the people starring in the film who is friends with the incompetent filmmaker. Both of them have been involved with the book and the film adaptation.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ED WOOD didn't make fun of Ed Wood.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Tommy Wiseau is just a bizarre and fascinating character. A man of mystery, and someone who turned a terribly-made vanity project into a cash-cow that has brought millions of people together. He's actively encouraged people to take what they like from his work, whether they enjoy it ironically or genuinely admire it ("You can laugh, you can cry, you can express yourself, but, please, don't hurt each other."). 

I've seen him in person three times, now, and he has an undeniably strange and unique charisma. Brash and childish, at times, but also charming and vulnerable. And his message--often buried within nonsensical ramblings--is always a positive one.

THE DISASTER ARTIST--the book, that is--is an amazing read, since it was written by Wiseau's close friend (and THE ROOM co-star), Greg Sestero. It covers the insanity of THE ROOM's production in hilarious detail, but it's also rather shockingly sentimental and sweet. It's the story of a weird guy who had a dream (fame and artistic expression), and found a way to achieve it, even if it wasn't necessarily in the way he expected. The ups and downs of Wiseau and Sestero's friendship are the actual heart of the book, with the humorous aspects serving as window dressing. I would expect the film to follow suit. It's the story of two unlikely friends, and a film that defied all odds (...including good taste!) to become a modern-day cult-classic. Quite a fascinating story. Franco and Rogen are both hardcore fans of the man and the film, and there's no way they'd make a film just to mock or take potshots. 

THE ROOM continues to befuddle and fascinate me, as does Wiseau himself. It straddles a bizarre line: People love to make fun of it, but also find themselves loving Wiseau for his eccentricity and for doing thing his way. It's sort of a case of people cheering on the little guy for never giving up on his dream, regardless of the actual results. THE ROOM is unquestionably terrible, but Wiseau refused to quit, and put his all into it. People can't help but admire him for that.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I don't think this film will be as good Ed Wood but I'll definitely check it out when it hits DVD/Bluray because I find the story interesting and I've liked quite of few of those guys comedies.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I've said this before: After being in the same room with Tommy Wiseau, if you told me he was an honest to god extraterrestrial in disguise, I'd totally believe you. He just has this bizarre, compelling presence. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I went to Chicago in 2014 and watched a screening of THE ROOM at the Music Box Theater. Tommy Wiseau was on hand and held a Q & A before the film. Here is video I took of that Q&A:

LINK!

I've explained in previous threads concerning the actual film about how people genuinely enjoy THE ROOM, even if only ironically. The reason ED WOOD got made was because people deemed it the "worst movie of all time." Tim Burton celebrated the eccentricity of Ed Wood, not "excellence," because nobody was saying "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and his other films were anywhere near excellence.

THE DISASTER ARTIST is getting good word of mouth by critics who have seen it at film festivals, and has Tommy Wiseau's blessing and participation. I have heard it is actually a heartfelt movie about Tommy Wiseau. I dare say, having met Tommy, that the portrayal by James Franco is more accurate than the caricature Johnny Depp portrayed in the title role of Ed Wood.

If ED WOOD did not strictly make fun of Ed Wood, Depp's portrayal certainly camped it up:

LINK!

I enjoy THE ROOM for what it is, and I get a kick out of Tommy Wiseau as a person (he was a nice guy to talk to in person), so I will be seeing the film. I understand if others have differing opinions, though.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 20 July 2017 at 12:37am

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

If ED WOOD did not strictly make fun of Ed Wood, Depp's portrayal certainly camped it up:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Johnny Depp was imitating John Waters. Depp said in an interview that he didn't know how Ed Wood behaved. He didn't have enough info on which to base his performance so he patterned his behavior on that of John Waters.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Johnny Depp was imitating John Waters. Depp said in an interview that he didn't know how Ed Wood behaved. He didn't have enough info on which to base his performance so he patterned his behavior on that of John Waters.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------

Didn't know that, but it's impossible to un-see now. When he said he was imitating Keith Richards for the Jack Sparrow character I didn't see it at first but now it's all I see.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think this is one for people who enjoy
watching a train wreck.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

----

I guess it depends on what interview you read.  Depp's also said he based Wood on Casey Kasem/Ronald Reagan. 

Most notably here (scroll down to Point 6:)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/90464/14-campy-facts-about-ed -wood

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

For anyone who has seen both (You poor bastard!), is THE ROOM worse than Vincent Gallo's notorious movie THE BROWN BUNNY?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Tommy Wiseau speaks about "The Disaster Artist":

LINK.

Unlike with Ed Wood, we get to hear how Tommy feels about the movie based on his work and his life.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

For anyone who has seen both (You poor bastard!), is THE ROOM worse than Vincent Gallo's notorious movie THE BROWN BUNNY?
++++++++++++++

I've only seen bits and pieces of THE BROWN BUNNY, but I can't believe that it's somehow worse than THE ROOM. From what I recall, THE BROWN BUNNY at least had competent cinematography, editing, continuity, etc. THE ROOM has none of those things!

Also, what's worse--Chloe Sevigny giving an onscreen b***j**, or Tommy Wiseau mock-humping the belly button of an actress who looks half his age, with horribly-overdubbed moans and grunts?

I'm gonna go with Tommy.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

So basically Wiseau makes Ed Wood and Vincent Gallo look like frickin' geniuses, then?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Something like that. THE ROOM is so staggeringly wrong on every level of film production that it actually comes all the way around and becomes one of the greatest films of all time. I've rarely laughed so hard in my entire life as the first time I watched it. And I don't laugh easily.

There are days where I wonder if he's some kind of secret genius who's been trolling the world for over a decade. The reality probably isn't that interesting, though. 

As you move through the stages of ROOM fandom, you're at first horrified that the film exists...but you feel compelled to watch it again, to try to understand what it means. After a period of trying to come to terms with the fact that this film was made on purpose, you start to feel guilty about making fun of it, and maybe buy some merchandise to assuage the guilt. After that, you start spreading it to other people, like a wonderful sort of disease. Finally, you become a legitimate fan of the film, since it represents a dedicated filmmaker making his dreams come true, even if not quite in the way he intended. Tommy Wiseau represents the struggling artist inside all of us, and we can still find it in ourselves to respect his efforts, even if the result is insane and bad by any objective measure. 

Anyway, Tommy, Franco, and the others have been making the rounds, what with the film's TIFF premiere. Tommy seems very pleased about the final film, and says that Franco was the best choice to give his "life rights" to.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 12 September 2017 at 10:05pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version