Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Stronger Than Spider-Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Strength for human beings is a real variable. Some days we're at our peak; other days we have a slight back spasm or we're tired or what have you and we can't lift or push as much as usual.

I don't think there's anything wrong with figuring out *roughly* how much a given character can lift/throw/press... but when it becomes an impediment to storytelling, as JB notes, then it should rightfully go out the window.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In his first appearance, let us not forget that he lifts a plane... and then chucks it "with horrifying ease". In the vein of quantifying things, the text points out it weighs 250 tons.

Not to mention, the thrust of the engines on top of that.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yup!
Going by this one example, Sasquatch ought to be in the same class as the Hulk. I suspect that those who compiled the OHOTMU wanted to pare down the number of "ultra-strong" heroes and chose Sasquatch, among others, to be downgraded some--despite evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 19 July 2017 at 8:06am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I thought Sasquatch was in the top group until I first saw the weight classes
picture.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Any "comic book reality" explanations as to why 'giant' characters like Giant-Man or Goliath aren't at least on par with the Hulk or Thor?  Or are they and I just haven't seen this demonstrated?

It's one thing to have big muscles...but when you have BIG MUSCLES it should count for something.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just for the record, I think those rankings are pretty silly for the exact reason JB stated above. T strength of these characters are variable because of the situations they get involved in.

-C!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Any "comic book reality" explanations as to why 'giant' characters like Giant-Man or Goliath aren't at least on par with the Hulk or Thor?  Or are they and I just haven't seen this demonstrated?

It's one thing to have big muscles...but when you have BIG MUSCLES it should count for something.

=========================================

David, 

I would believe that Goliath (Erik Jostin, the former Powerman) should be on par with both Hulk and Thor strength wise. With him already possessing superhuman strength,  his ability to grow should push him well into the "Class 100 " level to easily take on a highly enraged Hulk. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

...to easily take on a highly enraged Hulk.

Sorry, JJ, but no one, and I mean no one, with super strength as his
power can "easily take on a highly enraged Hulk."

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Gladiator, eh? So we're looking at the Superman cognates... including the Sentry, Gladiator, a couple of Hyperions... and we all know that no one is stronger than Superman. :)

In Marvel Two in One Annual #7, the eternal celestial highpower whatever-the-hell-he-is Champion, the "ultimate" fighter in the universe comes to Earth for a good fight (or else "I'll blow up the Earth", etc.) He assembles Doc Samson, Wonder Man, Thor, Colossus, Sasquatch, the Hulk (w/Bruce Banner's mind... mostly), Namor, and the Thing to battle him. He beats everyone... except that he doesn't fight Namor, who is too regally proud to train and fight, and the aforementioned Bruce Banner, who the stress gets to, and reverts mentally to the Hulk for one panel - and then Champion won't dignify a fight with the bestial Hulk.

Ben is the last one standing, and he goes down... and then gets back up. Not because he's strongest, but because A) he's got the gumption and spirit to keep fighting until he's killed, and B) it's Marvel Two in One - it's HIS book.

I still think it matters whose book it is, and who's writing it (Tom DeFalco in this case.) I wouldn't recommend looking up the book, though... it's not so great.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's funny Wally. When Banner transfors into the Hulk, he is not yet in the Class 100 range. This is why strong guys like the Thing and Doc Samson can handle the Hulk early on. 

With that, there shouldn't be a problem with Goliath battling an enraged Hulk.  I never said Goliath would beat him.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Your response is funnier, Jamie. I specifically responded to your assertion that
Goliath, who I don't believe has ever been shown to be as strong as those
other guys you named, could "easily take on an enraged Hulk."

Hercules, Iron Man, Sub-Mariner and Wonder Man (working together) didn't
have such an easy time battling the Hulk.

Heck, the Avengers and Fantastic Four (working in concert) found taking on
the Hulk difficult, and he didn't even seem especially angry when they did so!

Those guys couldn't easily do it, but Goliath could, huh?

"Okay." - S. Carter

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was not a fan of Giant-Man in the original Avengers because he never seemed to be so impressive in any way except his size. (Also, brainy Hank Pym seemed to me much better suited to be Ant-Man.) How strong should Giant-Man be? Part of the answer, I suppose, depends on the era. If you're talking about 1960s classic Marvel comicbooks, while he's still clearly below Thor/Hulk/Submariner/Thing/Iron Man, he'd have to be pretty powerful. I have in mind the scene from the X-MEN where Cyclops stops a huge charging African bull elephant: it's likely, to keep things in that classic Marvel scale, that Giant-Man was something akin to that. So, while the Thing could deal with him, albeit not as some pantywaist, it would probably take Cyclops' full-power blast to take him out. That is impressive! 

Tangent: I hope nobody starts calling me "Mikey"!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version