Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: The Fifty-Year Mission Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Had a brilliant post. Now it is gone. Must learn to save my work before I press post. 

I have been listeing to this on audio. It's a series of quotes on a particular thing. Gene L Coon and Gene Roddenberry and David Gerrold all having different point of view on what's wrong or right With Trouble with tribbles. 

13 hours down 10 to go. Pretty much the movies.

It is a very unique storytelling format. And dos not get in the dirt and mud slinging that Greg Kirkman had worried about  given the title.  I don't have the book so I would love to hear notes about the physical thing too!!

What do you like? What do you hate? Do you even care about yet another behind the scenes book?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really do need to find time to read these books, dagnabbit.

And I think there's always room for more behind-the-scenes books, as long as the scholarship is good, and the perspective interesting.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Gotten to the Premier of ST:TMP. Good stuff.  

It is very fair and even handed Now that I am used to it, I really enjoy the quote format. It's almost like a multi person round-table discussion. Sometimes even arranged so they are answering another persons comments. like Collins saying there wasn't much there for Dekker, and Bob Wise taking umbrage and saying he was very considerate towards collins. 

The venom  toward Roddenberry is quite surprising too. Harrold Livingston in particular seems like he'd punch Gene in the face rather than shake his hand. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE is an in-depth oral history of the making of that film. Roddenberry and Livingston basically hated each other, by the end of it. Livingston quit and came back a few times.

It's pretty much a miracle that film made it into theaters in any kind of watchable form. Too much money, too little time, and too many cooks in the kitchen, all wanting a piece of the pie.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, I certainly got that. The number of F-bombs that were lobbed at Gene was impressive. The gloating when Paramount took his side,. 

It does give me a newfound respect for TMP. If you look at it as sci-fi and not star trek it kinda works. Paramount didn't do anyone any favors.

You know there are so many "what-ifs" in Star Trek, what if there was a season 4 and so on. 

Mine is What if Desi-Lu never got sold to Paramount. They say that Lucy didn't have deep enough pockets to hold out 6 more months to finish season 3.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version