runes in the base of the wall that
provides the magic to keep the dead from
getting past?

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 27 August 2017 at 9:25pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The season finale is tonight. I'm predicting the death of Littlefinger at the hands of Arya. Which, by the way, would give her the chance to steal his face which she could then use to infiltrate the Red Keep and get access to Cersei next season.

------

I don't know. I think more than Cersei, Littlefinger is the Big Bad. He kicked off the War of the Five Kings and was directly or directly involved in what happened to a lot of the characters. I expect him to be the ultimate coward and betray everyone to the White Walkers in order to save his own skin next season. 

------

Glad to be wrong, and the setup for his death was so perfect.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What good is Jamie riding North, by himself without the Lannister army

-----

My thought was that he was going to warn Tyrion about Cersei's betrayal.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, that was an entertaining episode. I love how deadpan Bran's sense of urgency is. I guess since he knows Jon and Dany are on their way and sleeping together there's no point in rushing.

I was screaming at the television to let Jaime live.

Side note: Jaime's character development finally catching up to where it left off in the books in 2005 doesn't auger well for Martin's progress on the next novel or two. It seems to me if there was a more substantial subplot for him the show might have followed it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Usually, I wonder who (if anyone) is going to be killed, but this was a rare episode where almost everyone seemed on the table at some point.  Nicely done.

Littlefinger got a fitting send-off, finally. If the wrong people figured out one of his plots at any point in the series, he was dead, and finally the wrong people did. Like many people on the show, their own choices led to their demise, and he was no exception. I'd swear you could hear his sphincter tightening when his name was called...

As for any Jon/Dany squick factor, on a scale of zero to Craster, they barely register.  Heck, on that scale even Jamie and Cersei barely register. 

Now, the long wait...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I dunno...bedding your aunt...kinda creepy.  Not brother and sister making four babies creepy, but still pretty creepy.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Fair enough to feel that way, but compared to the above-noted "Craster" scale of non-consensual compulsory multi-generational interbreeding with all female offspring and sacrificing all male offspring to monsters--well, I submit it barely registers.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Looks like I was wrong about the Horn of Winter. Using the Dragon works too. But of course that creates a huge plot hole we'll all have to ignore - what if Dany had never flown the dragons north? How was the NK planning on breaching the wall?

Still....lots to like about this episode.

Was Littlefinger on Arya's list?

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Night King's lack of surprise or shock
at being confronted by 3 dragons seemed
wrong to me.
Unless he has the same kind of abilities
Bran does, then it makes sense. If he saw
the future, and knew that one day Danny
would bring 3 dragons to confront him,
then he could have made his grand plan.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
Was Littlefinger on Arya's list?

No, but he probably would have been had she known about his role in Ned's death sooner.

Anyway, only in Game of Thrones would you have the explicit reveal that two characters are related occurring at the same time said two characters were banging each other...

So many events in this one were telegraphed throughout the season that there wasn't much in the way of surprises (although I was a little surprised by Cersei at the end), but it was still nice to see, especially the fall of Littlefinger and Sansa and Arya getting along.

My prediction last year was that this season they'd be dealing with Cersei one way or another and the final season would be about the Night King, but now I'm wondering if the Night King will be dealt with relatively quickly so they can get back to Cersei. (The weird thing is that I've had this mental image of Cersei as the "Night Queen" ever since she got her hair cut, but I have no idea how that turn of events could come about.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Marc M. Woolman wrote:
The Night King's lack of surprise or shock
at being confronted by 3 dragons seemed
wrong to me.

If you go back and watch the episode you'll notice they had three spears. Three spears for three dragons. Perhaps Ice knows fire.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The remaining Stark children

Sansa The Judge: she passed the sentence

Bran The Jury: he saw the evidence

Arya The Executioner: she swung the blade

Damn, I love this show.

The next time Dany hears someone complaining about '8 inches of snow'....will she agree?

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 28 August 2017 at 10:04am

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The one thing that bothers me about having Arya be the one who kills Littlefinger was that it ignored Ned's belief that the one who issues the sentence should be the who
swings the blade...

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Arya pointed that out, but it was symbolic of the Starks coming together and working towards a common goal.

As for the Night Kings plan at the Wall, I think he was planning to try and go around it which is why he went to Eastwatch which is located at the Eastern end of it. The wights and such may not be able to swim, but as we saw in the previous episode, water just slows them down. He was likely just going to march his army through the water around the edge of the wall. Viserion made that unnecessary as he was able to just blow a big hole in it. As for the runes and stuff in the base of the Wall, the loophole there might be that a breach in the wall might have the same effect that the Night King touching Bran in his vision had on the protective spell around the cave of the Three Eyed Raven meaning that putting a hole in the wall might have broken the spells keeping them out.

As for the Dany/Jon alleged creepiness issue, there are a few points here. First, they don't know that they are related. Second, it was very common in medieval times for royalty to intermarry within their own families and the Targaryens certainly did that. Third, the people being creeped out by it are allowing modern standards to colour their perceptions and are reacting to it on that basis. They aren't siblings, so it's not nearly as bad as Jaimie & Cersei.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

"The one thing that bothers me about having Arya be the one who kills Littlefinger was that it ignored Ned's belief that the one who issues the sentence should be the who 
swings the blade..."

I thought about that as well.

But it isn't likely Sansa would ever take a knife to someone's throat and pull it.

Think of it this way:  The Starks as a FAMILY did the job. 

I have a feeling Ned, Kat, Rickon and Rob are resting easier now. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The show is obviously setting up these endings:

Jon Snow and Daenyrs will defeat the White Walkers and Cersei Lannister, marry and rule Westeros. 

Sansa will become the Queen of the North. 

Tyrion will continue guiding Daenyrs as the Hand. 

Arya will scratch off the remaining names on her list, including Cersei. She goes back to the East in search of adventure. 

Gendry will be recognized as the last Baratheon and will be made a lord by Jon. 

Bran will go return to the deep north as keep watch over Westeros. 

Theon  will rescue Yarra, defeat Euron and rule the Stormborn as a just lord, in the mold of the Starks.

Samwell will succeed his father as head of House Tarly, with Gilly by his side. 

Hot Pie will continue making yummy pies. 

Bronn will take up Tyrion's offer, work for the good guys, and end up the richest retired sellsword ever. 

None of which will happen. Because the two things that George R.R. Martin just doesn't do are deadlines and happy endings. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Joe Zhang wrote:
...None of which will happen. Because the two things that George R.R. Martin just doesn't do are deadlines and happy endings...

Pretty much agree.

While the last two seasons have been accused of some fan service -- Which, frankly, I had no issue with since it's nice to have some of these things wrapped up, or some satisfying conclusions every once in awhile -- the show's writers are still working with Martin's template, and the resolution to the series should still fall along the lines of the books in some manner.

Personally, I am expecting Arya to bite the dust next season. She seems expendable at this point, despite being a fan favorite (I am among those fans). And, there is usually a heartbreaking death in the series at different points. Here death would be, perhaps, the most wrenching for many fans.

If I were a betting man, I'd lay bets that she doesn't finish that list of hers due to untimely death.

No matter what, the characters that Joe lists will not all make it to the end, that is almost certain.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

True, but I also don't think ALL "happy endings" are off the table. GoT is pretty rough on the cast, but I can't see it going full-on nihilistic even at the end.

So while I'd be surprised to see both Daenyrs and Jon Snow survive until the end, and there's probably at least one more Stark to lose before the end, I could see something like Sansa becoming Queen of the North or Sam taking over House Tarley actually occurring.   

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I liked the final episode overall, but once again felt the impact of the curtailed season. Baelish's endless, genius planning all came to this... Found out abruptly with no contingency to protect him, begging to his lords from the Vale? Seemed underwhelming to me.

That said, Cersei's untrustworthiness was delightfully dastardly and the collapse of the Wall was immense. Overall, an entertaining season.

One blip remains in my memory -- wasn't there an undead version of Catelyn that's done nothing this whole time?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Peter, undead Catelyn was a book subplot. It never happened in the show, and as a result Beric Dondarrion is still alive, since apparently the Red Clergy can only animate one zombi at a time.  

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

A fan theory that's been going around: now that the Night King has a dragon to ride, he can hop around Westeros and raise undead. The recent wars left a lot of fresh corpses ... 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 31 August 2017 at 9:22pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The undead Catelyn used the alias Lady Stoneheart in the books, and on the show Arya pretty much took up doing what zombie Catelyn did in the books: Namely revenge for the Red Wedding, and Arya's list.

Joe, I've also heard a fan theory that Bran will warg into that undead dragon.

There's another fan theory that Arya will use Littlefinger's face to get close enough and kill Cersei.

I buy the latter theory as plausible, but Bran taking over the zombie (or wight) dragon is a little hard to stomach. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

My memory is probably playing deeply unfair tricks on my mind, but I could have sworn Catelyn returned as an undead version for an end-of-episode surprise a couple of seasons ago. Am I going crazy?

Edited by Peter Martin on 31 August 2017 at 10:58pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2017 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

No, you're not going crazy. It's just wishful thinking. A lot of people were hoping for Lady Stoneheart. Instead the actress who played Catelyn moved on to the short-lived series RESURRECTION.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version