TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Season 7 ~ SPOILERS! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: August 05 2017 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Jozef Brandt wrote:
On one hand we are getting to the meat of the story faster, on the other hand you are missing out on a lot of depth, history, and nuance.  

I talked to a friend of mine, a HUGE GOT fan from way back. Read all the books long before there was ever a whisper of a TV series.  Her reaction?  No qualms.  She said that the last couple of books were incredibly dense and absolutely boring, focusing on everything from the meticulous attention to attire to the food they ate to how the dew rested on a flower.  She said the history that was given about characters was overlong and ultimately unnecessary to the overall story.  

Listen, I get it.  I think the HARRY POTTER books are far better than the movies because the movies leave out so much nuance and character. But at the end of the day, something has to give.  You've got the books so they can't take that from you, but for a fan of the HBO series like me?  I don't notice it and, in fact, think it's a nuanced, intimate, deep portrayal of the characters I was introduced to in Season 1.  
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 05 2017 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If the reports regarding this weeks episode turn out to be true, it's going to be a spectacular episode and just might answer a question we've been discussing of late.

As for the books vs. show, I fall on the side of the show as being better. The show generates an emotional connection to the material that is absent in the books and the tighter focus eliminates some of the extraneous material that Martin has padded some of the books (the last two in particular) with. While book purists may not like the streamlining of the material, it allows for a more focused and thrilling ride.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 05 2017 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I like the show better, too. In general, I tend to favor movie adaptations to the original books. (GoT is effectively a movie for my purposes.)

I think the show could have been better if it had edited the book plots even more ruthlessly -- a single-season SoS. Also, I'd have liked if the show wandered farther afield: the Red Wedding might have had even more impact if Robb had been the show's main character instead of King Dead Meat Walking.

I read the books because I knew the HBO series was coming. I like them, but I could definitely see the point of a very intelligent friend of mine who found the books' actual writing to be agonizingly terrible. I read the Wild Cards books back in the day, and they had a similar trajectory of starting with compelling characters and propulsive plots before meandering off into who-gives-a-fuck-ville.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've read the 1st and 3rd books, and so far the only thing the show is missing is constant use of the word 'cock.'

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Now that was a cool episode. I normally like to have a bit more nuance than things simply being 'badass', but we are into payoff territory here. And Daenerys was badass!

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, very good episode.

But I still hate Bran.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Leave Bran alone!

I can't decide if the show is trolling with the Jon-Dany sexual tension, or if it's the impetus for a political marriage between Jon and Daenerys so that Jon can have his army to fight the White Walkers and Daenerys can have the allegiance of the North. Until Bran ruins everything by pointing out they are aunt and nephew. I'm not sure if Daenerys will care, but Jon might. 

The Dothraki-Lannister battle shows how difficult these final episodes will be. I like Bronn and Jaime, but they're fighting on the wrong side, and sooner later they either going to die or cross a line. 

Loved the Arya-Brienne duel. I have a feeling Sansa will be at odds with her siblings soon. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's kinda cool how a show like GoT has me rooting for the dragon AND Bronn at the same time.

I wonder if something about all that dragon glass around Dany is poisoning her and making her nuts, 'cause she seems to have become more bitchy and demanding after having crossed the sea.

I also wonder if Arya has been so built up that she is going to meet a grisly end.She is a fave with many fans (including myself), but the way GoT is, I am betting she won't finish her list.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 06 2017 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Great episode. And, yeah, we're starting to reach a point where it's hard not to be rooting for both sides in battles like the one in tonight's episode.

Jamie has gone from full-on-villain to a legitimately likable--and even honorable--character. Seeing him very possibly meet his fate due to that heavy armor was painful to watch.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 07 2017 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Valerian steel count:

Jon Snow - Longclaw
Brienne - Oathkeeper
Jaime - Widow's Wail
Sam - Heartsbane
Arya - dagger

Anything else we've seen on-screen?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 07 2017 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I wonder if something about all that dragon glass around Dany is poisoning her and making her nuts, 'cause she seems to have become more bitchy and demanding after having crossed the sea.

-----

I'm not seeing that at all. I think she's learned her lessons from Mereen, where everyone tried to get her to compromise with the Masters and it ended up failing. She's trying not to repeat her mistakes (although possibly making new ones). 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 07 2017 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was wrong about Arya...and I'm so glad!  She isn't in king's Landing now...but I suspect she will be dispatched in due time now that she has demonstrated (some of her) her abilities.

Cersei's plans have been burned to the ground.  No food for King's Landing.  No gold for the Iron Bank.  Jamie is lost for now.  

Drogon is wounded...but he has been before and bounced back nicely. 

Did Jon bend the knee? 

This episode got more done in 50 minutes than most show do in entire seasons.   

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version