Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Tyrion advised Danny not to go, and she 
went anyways and lost a dragon. I don't 
think this counts as his advice being 
wrong. (Though he probably won't say "I 
told you so") 

-----

From Dany's perspective, even though she lost Viserion, she saved Jon Snow, whom she now realizes that she has the hots for, and saw for herself that the White Walker threat was more important than taking the Iron Throne from Cersei. So I think she'd say that Tyrion was wrong.
Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nice little documentary on how they did the frozen lake sequence:  Link!

One the pacing issue:  Figuring six ten-episode seasons + one seven-episode season + one six-episode season, all including a number of extra-length episdoes they'll have had upwards of 80 hours to tell the story? The equivalent of 40 full-length movies!

The main problem with having that much time is filling it out, so I think much of the accelerated pace can be laid at GRRM's feet for failing to finish the books. A couple of those seasons felt to me like stalling so he could do so.

The timeline in the books is several years shorter between the beginning and winter than it is on the show. Hard to pretend otherwise when the actors are conspicuously older now than when we first met them.

If HBO pulls the trigger and produces The Amber Chronicles, they will at least have the advantage of it being finished. Two complete cycles, anyway. Hopefully that will lead to some consistent pacing.

(spelling edit)

Edited by Conrad Teves on 22 August 2017 at 1:28am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When all the wights but the one they needed dropped re-dead, the Hound should have turned to the camera and said, "That was very fucking convenient!"

David....I swear I heard the Hound say that (in my head). They really should have put that line in the show...maybe not to break the fourth wall...but it is certainly something the Hound would say.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The main problem with having that much time is filling it out, so I think much of the accelerated pace can be laid at GRRM's feet for failing to finish the books. A couple of those seasons felt to me like stalling so he could do so.

Conrad....I totally agree. GRRM has been so nonchalant about finishing the series. I heard he wanted to write a couple other books before finishing off the series. What?

I don't understand that at all. When a story has become as popular as this has, I feel the author has a responsibility to make finishing it a priority before he/she moves on to other things.

---

If HBO pulls the trigger and produces The Amber Chronicles

Cool...thats news to me. I just read the entire 10-book Amber series so it is fresh in my head. I'm curious if an Amber series can hold up as well as GoT though. Hope we'll get a chance to see for ourselves.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 22 August 2017 at 5:41am

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

True, about Danny's perspective, going
North was the right move, she even says as
much to Jon, I just think with the death
of her dragon, she might see that there
was wisdom in Tyrion's words.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Bringing the wight south of the wall won't make it stop functioning.  There have been wights in Castle Black before, remember?

I think blue fire from zombie dragon is going to be what causes the wall to stop functioning.

Some great character work in this episode from the Hound and Tormund.  I also really like the actor who plays Beric Dondarrion.  He has a lot of presence.  I wish he'd been in the show more. 

I agree with the problems with suspending disbelief.  All the wights drop dead except one.  Uhh, right.  They send Gendry to *run* back to Eastwatch...on foot, and then assuming he makes it there, they send a raven another 1000 miles to Dragonstone...okay.  How long is that all going to take?  Then they stand on a rock in the middle of a lake and the undead wait for the lake to freeze solid, but they can't tell its frozen until the Hound throws a rock that bounces?  Isn't the NK the thing that brings cold with him?  Somehow Dany makes it there in time, only to have the NK kill a dragon with a single spear shot?  Then they all escape except Jon, but at least he's helped by Coldhands.  (It's possible Bran told Benjen when/where he needed to be so I can buy that).

Finally, the army of the undead has a bunch of giant chains laying around that they use to bring the dragon out of the ice so it can be zombified.

If nothing else, GoT is worth it for some comedy.  My predictions:  Dragon blows down the wall.  Jon and Dany make sweet sweet love.  (Not realizing that they're Nephew/Aunt, but hey, Targaryens), and uh...Bran is indifferent about...everything, even though he knows all the secrets.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't envy Dany the grueling experience she'll endure nursing the sensitive and emotional Jon Snow through the upcoming identity-shattering revelations about his parents, and possibly the implications of their incest. She grew up assuming she'd marry her brother, so it's not like she's going to care.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If they're still alive, I want to see the remaining members of the Children of the Earth dealt with before the series ends. Since they're responsible for the white walkers existing in the first place, there should be some punishment or atonement necessary. 

There's been talk of a possible spin-off series once the show ends. I'm now kind of hoping that if it happens, it's a Hound-Tormund buddy series....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I love the Hound. At first he appared as a mindless henchman, but has turned into one of the shows more nuanced characters. 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I love the hound as well! Him and Tormund
together are pure gold.

Does castle Black count as South of the
wall? It's South by maybe 100 feet.
King's Landing or Winterfell count as
South of the wall.

So, what will the undead Mountain, think
of the captured wight?

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Jozef Brandt wrote:
Bringing the wight south of the wall
won't make it stop functioning. There have been wights
in Castle Black before, remember?

Jozef, the loop-hole in there may be that Castle Black
is built into the Wall, so the wights could operate
within it without breaking the enchantments that keep
the white walkers to the North.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I still think the Horn of Winter will come into play to bring down the wall or a portion thereof. Usually, you don't bring up an item like that so often if it doesn't play a part in the story later on. Surely the NK already had something up his sleeve to get past the wall. Could be the Horn of Winter. It would even make sense if the Horn was used to bring down the wall as the last scene of S7E8. That would make a great cliffhanger.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The Wall is coming down. No production makes a model that big and detailed without planning to eventually blow it up.  

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Robert Shepherd wrote:
I still think the Horn of Winter will come into play to bring down the wall or a portion thereof.

It's far too late to have that be a factor. And when the Night King has a dragon who needs a horn? You can just melt it.

Expect the wall to come down and dragon flame be the cause. It's as certain as the death of Littlefinger.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

What is the horn of winter? Has the TV
show ever mentioned it? I've watched the
entire series multiple times and have
never heard of this.
If the show has mentioned it, they
certainly didn't make it prominent.

The wall's real power are the magical
runes carved into the actual wall, not the
icy part, so I'm not sold on an undead
dragon being the fix.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 25 August 2017 at 9:09pm

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

In the books, the Horn of Winter is a horn that can allegedly bring down the wall if sounded. Mance Rayder used it in his threats when he was bringing the wildlings south to the wall. The show has never mentioned it and it probably won't be brought in this late in the game. If the Wall comes down, it'll likely be due to Viserion.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

They definitely have not established the Horn of Joramun in the show.  I was thinking the Dragonbinder horn would be more likely, but no sign of that either.  They found a different way to counter dragons.  One-hitter ice spears. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 3:16am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

What happened to the horn Samwell found at the Fist Of The First Men?

And which 'horn' was it? 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Sam didn't find a horn at the fist of the
first men. He found only dragon glass
weapons, spear-tips and Arrowheads, etc.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The season finale is tonight. I'm predicting the death of Littlefinger at the hands of Arya. Which, by the way, would give her the chance to steal his face which she could then use to infiltrate the Red Keep and get access to Cersei next season.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

FWIW, I think ice dragon equals ice breath...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The season finale is tonight. I'm predicting the death of Littlefinger at the hands of Arya. Which, by the way, would give her the chance to steal his face which she could then use to infiltrate the Red Keep and get access to Cersei next season.

------

I don't know. I think more than Cersei, Littlefinger is the Big Bad. He kicked off the War of the Five Kings and was directly or directly involved in what happened to a lot of the characters. I expect him to be the ultimate coward and betray everyone to the White Walkers in order to save his own skin next season. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

@Marc

Beg to differ my friend.  

Sam found a horn....along with dragonglass arrowheads and other stuff.  What horn it is has yet to be revealed...

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 27 August 2017 at 6:09pm

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Too long and unsurprising. Now we'll have to wait two years for it to end?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

No, it should be next year. The whole 2019 thing was based on an interview with and HBO executive who, when asked about GOT and it's final season, said that they weren't going to rush them on it and it'll be done when it's done even if it takes a year or two. Of course, everyone in the media and the internet assumed that meant that the final season wasn't going to happen until 2019. D&D have since announced that all the scripts have been written and multiple sources, including some of the cast, have confirmed that filming is scheduled to start in October which is the same timeframe they used for filming season 7. What does this mean? It means that the final season will likely debut next summer which falls in line with the pattern from this year and they will likely be wanting to air it in the summer again as doing so this year resulted in record breaking ratings.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version