Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Season 7 ~ SPOILERS! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've read the 1st and 3rd books, and so far the only thing the show is missing is constant use of the word 'cock.'
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Now that was a cool episode. I normally like to have a bit more nuance than things simply being 'badass', but we are into payoff territory here. And Daenerys was badass!

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, very good episode.

But I still hate Bran.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Leave Bran alone!

I can't decide if the show is trolling with the Jon-Dany sexual tension, or if it's the impetus for a political marriage between Jon and Daenerys so that Jon can have his army to fight the White Walkers and Daenerys can have the allegiance of the North. Until Bran ruins everything by pointing out they are aunt and nephew. I'm not sure if Daenerys will care, but Jon might. 

The Dothraki-Lannister battle shows how difficult these final episodes will be. I like Bronn and Jaime, but they're fighting on the wrong side, and sooner later they either going to die or cross a line. 

Loved the Arya-Brienne duel. I have a feeling Sansa will be at odds with her siblings soon. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's kinda cool how a show like GoT has me rooting for the dragon AND Bronn at the same time.

I wonder if something about all that dragon glass around Dany is poisoning her and making her nuts, 'cause she seems to have become more bitchy and demanding after having crossed the sea.

I also wonder if Arya has been so built up that she is going to meet a grisly end.She is a fave with many fans (including myself), but the way GoT is, I am betting she won't finish her list.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great episode. And, yeah, we're starting to reach a point where it's hard not to be rooting for both sides in battles like the one in tonight's episode.

Jamie has gone from full-on-villain to a legitimately likable--and even honorable--character. Seeing him very possibly meet his fate due to that heavy armor was painful to watch.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Valerian steel count:

Jon Snow - Longclaw
Brienne - Oathkeeper
Jaime - Widow's Wail
Sam - Heartsbane
Arya - dagger

Anything else we've seen on-screen?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wonder if something about all that dragon glass around Dany is poisoning her and making her nuts, 'cause she seems to have become more bitchy and demanding after having crossed the sea.

-----

I'm not seeing that at all. I think she's learned her lessons from Mereen, where everyone tried to get her to compromise with the Masters and it ended up failing. She's trying not to repeat her mistakes (although possibly making new ones). 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was wrong about Arya...and I'm so glad!  She isn't in king's Landing now...but I suspect she will be dispatched in due time now that she has demonstrated (some of her) her abilities.

Cersei's plans have been burned to the ground.  No food for King's Landing.  No gold for the Iron Bank.  Jamie is lost for now.  

Drogon is wounded...but he has been before and bounced back nicely. 

Did Jon bend the knee? 

This episode got more done in 50 minutes than most show do in entire seasons.   

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Cersei's plans have been burned to the ground.  No food for King's Landing.  No gold for the Iron Bank.

-----

You missed a line. All the gold made it safely to King's Landing.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

F#CK!   

Yup.  I just rewatched it.  That was EXACTLY the moment when I got up to bring my dinner to the coffee table to eat and watch.   

Bad form on my part.

Will Sansa ever NOT be jealous of Arya?!  The look on Sansa's face when she watched Arya display her skills was exactly the one when Arya teased her when they were younger.    I'm sure Littlefinger will pounce on those feelings.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 07 August 2017 at 7:13am

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My jaw was hanging open for like half an hour on this episode. Great stuff. The Arya/Brienne sparring scene might be one of my favorite things ever.

Michael>>I can't decide if the show is trolling with the Jon-Dany sexual tension, or if it's the impetus for a political marriage between Jon and Daenerys so that Jon can have his army to fight the White Walkers and Daenerys can have the allegiance of the North.<<

On the off-chance I'm right...

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
The narrative has been setting this up. Think about what was said about political marriages at the end of Season 6. Then add Danaerys saying she'll do what Jon wants on the condition he "Bends The Knee." Now, what's another way of saying "Bend the knee?"

I can picture an Internet-meltdown-causing switcheroo scene right now. Jon decides what he has to do for the benefit of his people, gets down on one knee, instead of swearing fealty asks The Question then--cut! End episode.

Also worth noting that weddings tend to be eventful landmarks on this show. Perhaps a "White(walker) Wedding" to end the season or start next?

10 points for Gryffindor if I'm right.  :)

BTW, on the "Crazy" point, the Tully side has a bit of Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs too. Recall Lady Arryn's fan belt was well and truly snapped. I saw a bit of that unreasoned over-intensity with her sister Catelyn too. That makes all the Stark kids (except Jon) blood relatives to that.  Good thing Littlefinger isn't around to prod things...

On Dany's demeanor...there's only one person who can (with great effort, even through betrayal, her least favorite thing) make her see reason. Of course, he hasn't been around her for a while.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Yeah. Really great episode and the show keeps getting more morally ambiguous to the point where you're rooting for both sides. You don't want Jaime or Bronn or Dany or Drogor to die in that battle. I don't think any of them did thankfully. Athough they definitely ended it in a way that either Bronn or Jaime could potentially drown. That fade to black at the end as they sink into the depths dragged down by their armor was a really amazing ending. Seeing the horror of the dragon fire burning men alive was pretty upsetting too and you couldn't help but feel sympathy for those Lannister troops literally shaking in their boots. Who wouldn't be?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I felt sorry for the horses . It's not often you see the
true brutality of war upon animals.

P.S. I pointed out the alternate 'bending of the knee'
meaning a few posts ago!

Edited by Bill Collins on 07 August 2017 at 2:38pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Bill>>I felt sorry for the horses . It's not often you see the 
true brutality of war upon animals.<<

Yeah. One thing about this show is it doesn't chicken out when it comes to the hard stuff. It set the tone right out of the gate, and it hasn't wavered at all. 

>>P.S. I pointed out the alternate 'bending of the knee' 
meaning a few posts ago!<<

So you did!

I note they've been really hammering away on that exact phrase recently, more than ever. Previously it seemed used in a more expositional fashion, now they seem to be calling attention to it. I believe in coincidences in real life, in fiction, rather less. Even the coincidences are a conscious decision.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I think Arya has decided that Little
Finger isn't long for this world.

I also think Arya will be using that
dagger to kill some white walkers,
probably next season, before she
ultimately meets her end.
Bran gave it to her and he sees everything
now, I'm sure he knows she'll use it on a
white walker or two.

Awesome final battle, but why did she
bring only one dragon?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I'm still trying to figure out what Littlefinger's endgame is this season. All he's been doing is trying to ingratiate himself to the Starks and creep on Sansa. Obviously he wants to bed Sansa, but he wants more than that, and he's smart enough to know that Sansa knows all this. So what's his big play here? Because it has to be more than hope Jon is the North's savior.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think Littlefinger is still trying to figure out his next move. His deal with Cersei doesn't apply so long as the North has claimed it's independence. If you recall, he was summoned to Kings Landing a few seasons back and he told Cersei that Sansa had returned to Winterfell and was marrying into the Bolton family and that he would take his troops North to destroy them in return for being named Warden of the North. As he already is the defacto ruler of the Vale, due to his control over Robyn, this would have been a huge increase in his power and influence. The lords of the North proclaiming Jon king has thrown a huge wrench into his plans and his inability to influence Jon has left him scrambling. Sansa and her desire to have more influence and control is still his best bet for weaseling his way in, but between Bran and his ability to see what Littlefinger has been up to and Arya with her obvious distrust, he's in for a rough ride.

Edited by Christopher Frost on 07 August 2017 at 6:19pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

In short, we are also trying to figure out Littlefinger's endgame :)

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2017 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

In retrospect Khaleesi V. Kingslayer was an inevitable throw-down, but I'm glad I didn't see it coming. I loved how the expression on Jaime's face as the battle went from "I'm overseeing a military catastrophe" to "I'm the first general to fight a dragon in 150 years."

I don't see any way Jaime survives a Danaerys victory. If he doesn't die after a second King/Queenslay, the realm again ironically unaware of how much it owes him, she ain't letting him walk for the Mad King. There are like three legal principles on her side supporting execution, and basically his and Tyrion's word on the other if she even entertains questions.

Meera Reed is definitely expecting the worst in the upcoming White Walker apocalypse.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

As I'm sure you're all aware, stage-fights of any kind tend to be (*ahem*) unrealistic. Game Of Thrones has certainly not been immune to this (by any stretch) so I was really pleased with the Arya/Brienne sparring match.
Nick Easton from Scholagladitoria does an analysis of the fight, and yes indeed, it comes off pretty well: LINK
One thing he didn't mention was how close they were together. Usually you see the actors close enough to touch swords, but not close enough to touch each other with their swords--clearly trying to avoid hurting each other. Perfectly reasonable precaution, and you can often compensate with good camera angles, but sometimes the combatants are shown side-on which just showcases the large distance between them. 
Balancing story-telling, actor safety, viewer comprehension, and the aesthetics of making the fight look good on-screen is a difficult task. The Game of Thrones folks did an excellent job in this instance.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

On the Meera Reed note, the woman deserves a medal or something. Hauls Bran and his sled a few hundred miles back to Winterfell (apparently) without complaint, and certainly without help after Hodor's demise. Her legs would be like steel...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Poor Gilly. She potentially uncovered that Jon is a legitimate Targaryen and rightful heir to the throne, and Sam just blew her off.

I can't decide if Dany swooning over Jon is meant to be a red herring, means that Jon being a secret Targaryen is a red herring, or is to ease the audience into a future incestuous relationship that is relatively less icky than Jaime-Cersei.

Gendry!

I feel that Littlefinger should be more afraid of Arya. His turning Arya against her sister with Sansa's coerced letter from Season 1 seems like it could backfire on him.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I did want to want to shout to Sam "listen
to your girlfriend right now!"
I'm betting that book she was reading from
will be one of the books that travels with
her and Sam.

I think the title of the series of books,
pretty much indicates whether Danny's
feelings for Jon are legit.

I don't think Little Finger obtained the
scroll that Sansa was forced to write, as
part of a plan to turn Arya against Sansa.
He could just as easily claim he obtained
the scroll to destroy it for Sansa.

Whatever Little Finger is planning, it
won't matter. His days are coming to an
end, Arya guarantees it.

So with a lot of my favourite characters
fighting the army of the dead next week,
North of the wall, I wonder how many will
die? Could be a tough episode.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 14 August 2017 at 2:41am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"Sam just blew her off"

I wonder if Bran will divulge Jon's lineage and Sam will end up researching and confirming it. Just because Sam didn't quite pay attention isn't a bad thing. Bran knows all, but just has trouble communicating with mortals now. This season is so densely packed with information and revelations that the wait until the final season will be excruciating.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version