Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: "Everything Wrong with..." PLANET OF THE APES (1969) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Normally I enjoy the CinemaSins dissections, even of movies I like. But their latest effort is directed at the original PoTA, and to find "sins" they are (deliberately?) misrepresenting what happens in the movie.

For instance, after chiding Charlton Heston's character for smoking a cigar on a spaceship, they later refer to this same cigar as a cigarette, and ask how much cargo space was wasted storing packs of them.

They refer to the dead female astronaut as a "prop," apparently unaware that John Chambers made up an elderly woman when it was found a dummy did not produce a convincing corpse.

They completely mangle much of the dialog, too, in order to find "mistakes".

Bah! I could go on, but why bother? I'll just hand them a whole bunch of "sins" and suggest they try harder.

Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 2  

The whole country is going ape this week. 

QUOTE:
The last scene punctuates [PotA], but does so in such a way that different viewers could read it as a question mark, an exclamation point, or an ellipsis. 

As soon as the box office returns starting piling up, Fox decided it had to be an ellipsis. Then the studio was faced with a dilemma: How could they possibly improve on a near-perfect science fiction film?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

More and more I feel like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers are looking for the easy laugh.  Even if it means ignoring or contradicting what actually happens in the movie.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

The original PoTA IS near perfect. The manner in which it unfolds itself never ceases to amaze me.

And, no, there really was no way to actually "improve" it. So the Studio didn't even try!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

The first Planet of the Apes movie is one of my favorite movies ever. People can nitpick just about anything, but how many could create something that good and timeless?

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB can you recommend any CinemaSins that you did enjoy?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

Your right Josh, those sights are slowly morphing into a MST 3K variant.

As for PoTA ,they shouldn't even bother. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

There is NOTHING wrong with PotA. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Most of the things that are "wrong" with the original PoTA spring directly from its time and place. In 1969 it was a convention of sci-fi that aliens looked human and exo-planets looked like Earth. The Big Reveal at the end of PoTA works entirely because the audience didn't question apes who spoke English, or cry out "Hey! Isn't that a Larch?"

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 10  

The original PotA features something none of the current versions do:  hope.

There's nothing but hopelessness for the human race in all the new Apes movies.   They're not even doing false hope....  Even though we all "know" the apes will take over, the film makers could at least "fake it" and make it appear that humans have a chance! 

IMO, they're very depressing movies.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 11  

The original PotA features something none of the current versions do: hope.

That's an interpretation I'm afraid I cannot share!!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 12  

The original PotA features something none of the current versions do:  hope.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Kevin what about the original film made you feel that there was hope?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 13  

I re-watched it last night (loved it, as usual, for the 50th or so time), and join the chorus: Hope? Nope.

I'd go even further and say the misanthropy (and missimiandry) is part of what makes Planet of the Apes (and even parts of the sequels) such compelling speculative fiction.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 14  

The only hope you get in the original series of films comes in the form of the few humans and apes who want to work together.  Other than that, it's pretty much apparent that humanity is doomed.  At every turn, they are the ones responsible for their own demise.  BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, the last entry in the original series, offers the most hope insomuch as it ends with humans and ape children learning their shared history.  Even then, the Lawgiver "cries" at the end, pretty much putting a damper on this momentary respite in their war.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 15  

How could there be any hope for humans of Taylor's kind in the original movie since he's the only one of his kind?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 16  

The original has been much confused by the sequels, each of which moved further from the premise. That the apes AND the mute humans were a product of nuclear war was pretty much ground away by the third film. (The EWW guys ask when humans "forgot" how to talk, a question that is applicable only in the context of the sequels.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 17  

The original has been much confused by the sequels, each of which moved further from the premise.

It would hurt my head to even attempt to articulate what is on my mind, but the third and fourth films presented questions to me that made no sense. Even as a kid, I thought, 'This timeline is fucked.' 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 18  

Not all the apes were out to subjugate humans. There was a small bit of hope that maybe at some point they could come together thanks to Cornelius and Zira.

Current PotA is all doom and gloom.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 19  

At least the current APES fever this summer means you can find the original on sale almost everywhere you look... picked up the Blu-ray version of the 1968 film (loaded with extras) for a whopping $7.99.

Best money I spent all week!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 20  

There's an APES boxset in Asda, all the original films. Thirty-five quid. I may buy it soon. Hope there's some commentaries! 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 21  

Not all the apes were out to subjugate humans. There was a small bit of hope that maybe at some point they could come together thanks to Cornelius and Zira.

Current PotA is all doom and gloom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cornelius and Zira may have been the founding members of Aetp. But I felt that  Dr. Zaius would have crushed any attempts at bettering treatment of humans.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 22  

Cornelius and Zira may have been the founding members of Aetp. But I felt that Dr. Zaius would have crushed any attempts at bettering treatment of humans.
+++++++++++++

Yeah, the film leaves the impression that Zaius will keep the Ape society running just as it was, with Zira and Cornelius to be thrown under the bus and tried as heretics in order to preserve the big secret.

In the end, the story becomes much more about Taylor's utterly hopeless realization of mankind's ultimate fate than it is about planting seeds for a major paradigm shift within the Ape society.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 23  

Yeah, the film leaves the impression that Zaius will keep the Ape society running just as it was, with Zira and Cornelius to be thrown under the bus and tried as heretics in order to preserve the big secret.

It's important to note, I think, that when the full context of the film is considered, Zaius fall more on the side of the angels that one might think from a more superficial reading. He is indeed, as Taylor puts it, the "Guardian of the Terrible Secret", and his real concern is to save his society from stumbling down the path that led the humans to destroy themselves.

All of which is, as noted, lost in the sequels, especially once the concept of evolution -- even when induced by atomic radiation -- is set aside in favor of what is effectively magic. (The apes become smart and start speaking... because they do!)

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 24  

JB already stated this for himself, but I also believe the original Planet of the Apes to be one of those "perfect" films!  I loved it when I first saw it in my teens and still love it each and every time I see it to this day!

As for what in the film made some think there might be "hope" - for me it was always Nova's gutteral, but still successful attempt at "speaking."

Marc

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 25  

It's important to note, I think, that when the full context of the film is considered, Zaius fall more on the side of the angels that one might think from a more superficial reading. He is indeed, as Taylor puts it, the "Guardian of the Terrible Secret", and his real concern is to save his society from stumbling down the path that led the humans to destroy themselves.
++++++++

Precisely. Zaius is presented as the heavy for bulk of the film, but then everything flip-flops at the end, and we see that he's really just trying to protect his society. And, considering the big reveal of what Man ultimately accomplished, can we really blame him? It's just a fantastic twist.

And Taylor, so full of bluster and machismo for the entire film, so determined to prove his case to these backwards-thinking Apes...well, it all comes crashing down for him.

Beware the beast Man...

By the way, Shaun's post inspired my to pop into good 'ol Wally-World, tonight. I'd been casually checking for quite some time to see if they'd restocked the POTA Legacy Collection on Blu. They finally got it back in as part of the promotional push for the new film. It's been at least a year since I initially saw it there on the cheap. Score!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version