Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Invulnerability VS Energy Beams (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 1  

From time to time, I like to ponder who would win a particular battle. Usually, it involves near-unstoppable characters, i.e. Juggernaut VS Destroyer (I could not predict that one!). 

However, when it comes to invulnerability, is it absolute? And how would invulnerable/near-unstoppable characters fare against Darkseid's Omega Beams, a destructive form of energy that can disintegrate an opponent?

I'm guessing magical characters like Dormammu could throw up a mystical defence (if they were quick enough!) against something like Darkseid's beams. That sounds logical enough.

But what of likes of Juggernaut and Destroyer? I believe Juggernaut is near-unstoppable as far as forward momentum is concerned. And that helmet protects him from psychic attacks. He can smash through anything, resist Thor's hammer, etc. But would invulnerability include energy beams? Would Darkseid's energy beams disintegrate Juggernaut?

Destroyer is the same. His armour is made of a metal forged by Asgardians, right? It's extremely durable. He's near-unstoppable in the same way Juggernaut is. But would his armour be invulnerable against Darkseid's Omega Beams? Or would he be reduced to atoms?

I hope this topic doesn't sound too pedantic. I promise I am not trying to quantify anything. My intent is to have a fun discussion. What makes it fun for me is that I've discussed Juggernaut's invulnerability, and Destroyer's armour, but both have magical aspects, too (Cyttorak and Asgardian magic). So in addition to being durable, there's a magical aspect that I think might protect them.

So, would either Juggernaut or Destroyer survive Darkseid's Omega Beams? 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 08 July 2017 at 8:24am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 2  

So, would either Juggernaut or Destroyer survive Darkseid's Omega Beams?

••

Nothing should survive the Omega Beams, but they have been so messed with by writers who didn't understand Kirby's ideas...... Well, these days who can say? It would come down to the whim of the typist telling the story.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't know much about the Omega Beams. I need to read more early Darkseid tales. 

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Juggernaut: he'd be wiped out by Omega Beams.  His magic is not superior to Darkseid's abilities as a New God. It would be a fun fight though, because I think Darkseid would underestimate Juggernaut at first and would be really annoyed that he has to resort to using his Omega Beams.

Destroyer: my understanding is that the armor has to have some kind of life force put into it. Without this, it's just an inanimate suit of armor. I think Darkseid's Omega Beams would wipe out the animating force but the armor would remain intact. Again, it would be a good fight. I think the Destroyer would do some pretty good damage to Darkseid before being stopped.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 5  

Without going off-topic, I'd much rather see new encounters than reboots, untold tales and the like we've seen from both DC and Marvel. There must be encounters we have not yet seen.

I don't recall a Juggernaut/Destroyer battle. I would like to see it. I'd rather see it than another reboot or "Year One" tale.

I'd love to see Darkseid in Dormammu's realm, by the way (I know DC and Marvel would have to collaborate). 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't know much about the Omega Beams. I need to read more early Darkseid tales.

••

Yes you do -- tho choose wisely!

Basically, the Omega Beams are supposed to live up to their name -- they don't simply destroy, they erase. Whatever is struck by them ceases to exist in all dimensions of time and space.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 7  

Yes you do -- tho choose wisely!

I do wish that both DC and Marvel would release volumes devoted specifically to villains. I'd like a "Best of Galactus" volume (akin to the Essential Marvel volumes) or a hardcover that features the best of Darkseid. I realize it'd be subjective, though. 

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 8  

Your best bet is to stick with Kirby's
original Fourth World stories which were
collected several years back. I don't
recall if they were hardback or softback,
or both.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 9  

A "best of [supervillain]" series of collected stories would be a great idea for both Marvel and DC.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

It would. I'd like to see it done chronologically and using the old ESSENTIAL MARVEL format (but Marvel and DC nowadays seem to prefer hardcovers/colour - which is fine, but quite expensive).

I shall check out Marc's recommendation.

As for the topic, I know Destroyer is quite dependent on the force of will of whoever is inhabiting its body. That'd make for an interesting twist - whatever foe it faced.

(And I really want to see Juggernaut battle Destroyer!).

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

I have Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus in four softcover volumes.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

If the Omega Beams strike the ground, how much area is
erased?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version