Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: How can Marvel fix things? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

Oh, and since we're dreaming, how about vending machines in malls or certain subways stations? Let's take these babies where the people are!

And Anthony, I was thinking in terms of 4 stories (88 pages, plus ads). There should be at least 3, though.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Create a line for the Brick and mortar stores, like Walmart and such beyond the digests.  They should run separate from the direct market series, presenting the publicly known versions of the characters (Steve Rogers Cap, Tony Stark Iron Man etc. . .) Sell for lower price point based on a larger sales projection for mass exposure.

Just a thought.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

"A fish rots from the head down"
                                                       --old proverb

How can Marvel fix things?

Disney needs to grow a spine.

Fire most, if not all, of the editorial staff and hire a new EIC from within Disney, somebody with a love of 60-80s Marvel with a strong sense of storytelling and characterization, preferably from the animation division.
Install the old guard ( Stan, the Romitas, JB, Simonson ) as Creative consultants until the new editorial staff finds their way.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Marvel can be fixed by doing the following things. Fire the EIC and most of the current editorial staff. Fire several of the current writers. Take a detailed look at past stories and retcon and ignore those past stories that have damaged the characters. Stop all of that slavish synergy with the film and TV versions of their characters. Return to making all of their regular formated ongoing and mini series suitable for all ages, but in a layered manner.Stop allowing "big name" "popular" and "critically acclaimed ego driven writers to tell stories that should never have been told. Stop over exposing popular characters.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Good creative decisions" for a character are in the eye of the beholder, so I'm trying to avoid value judgements where that's concerned. But here's some stuff that would stop making Marvel too annoying to want to bother with, even in cases where I might otherwise be interested in the material.

#1 Trim the line. Start with 25-30. If sales warrant, then maybe expand. If they don't, then swap books out as they run their course. (Don't go overboard with characters. I can see a couple of Spider-Man books, but Dr. Strange and the Black Panther have trouble sustaining one book - they don't need three.)

#2 Stop focusing on The Line. Get individual books to where they need to be on an individual basis. If fans want to branch out, then great. But don't make it feel mandatory or you'll scare folks away. And let each run start and finish on its own terms.

#3 Stop using issue numbers as marketing gimmicks. If you want to make each writer's run it's own volume, then whatever (although you should make sure all threads are cleaned up so the next one gets a proper starting point). But stop jumping around and/or restarting the numbering mid-run.

#4 Stop letting the tail wag the dog. If the movies don't line up with the comics, live with the discrepancy. Don't change the comics to fit.

#5 Be consistent with character portrayals. I get there will be "interpretation" differences, but if Wolverine appears in more than one book, I should always feel I'm reading about the same guy.

#6 Along those lines, if you're going to mess with characters, fine. But there should be a clear path from Point A to Point B. Familiarity with the characters shouldn't be detrimental to understanding your stories.

#7 Leave old stories alone. Whatever's happened, happened. Move on.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

My suggestions would be...

1) Reducing the title overload. You don't need more than two or three books relating to popular properties like Spidey or the Avengers. Less popular characters certainly don't need multiple titles (beyond perhaps a solo title and being part of a team book).

2) Less mini series and the like. Focus on the regular books and make mini series something occasional and special instead of just doing them for the sake of having more stuff on the racks.

3) Regular frequency of books. Remember when books were monthly and you could rely on which week a particular title would ship? We need to get back to that.

4) Regular creative teams that actually hit their deadlines. This "growing roses" mentality has to stop. Sure, some creators are slower than others, but blowing deadlines is the surest way to ensure missed shipping dates and annoying your customers. It's not too much to expect people to do their job in the time given. If they can't meet their deadlines, they shouldn't be on a regular book. If slower creative teams are going to do a run, wait until the work is finished and submitted before soliciting it to ensure being able to get it out on time.

5) Fewer company wide events. These used to be special for the simple reason that they didn't happen very often and when they did, they grabbed your attention. Now, they are very commonplace and all blend together. Less is more, as they say.

6) Don't worry about what the movies and tv shows are doing. Most of the people who watch them are never going to buy a comic anyways, so don't start changing everything in the books to make it look like they see on screen in the hopes of luring a few of them in. All that does is annoy your current fanbase in the hopes of catching a few dollars from the casual fans who aren't likely to pick up more than an issue or two to check them out.

7) Don't worry about story lengths. Let them be as long or as short as they need to be. Some should be "done in ones", some should be multi-parters, some should be ongoing plotlines. Let the creative teams tell the story in the way it needs to be told instead of focusing on how it will fit into the reprint format for the collected editions.

8) Put an end to the constant relaunching and renumbering of books. Marvel should be proud of their characters longevity and history and shouldn't try to hide it or ignore it for that first issue bump. It's inconsistent and could be confusing to the newer reader.

I'm sure I'll think of more, lol, but that'll do for now.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

Guys? It's over. 

In another example of mindlink with Mr. Byrne, my first thought upon seeing this thread title was "time machine".

Since that's not gonna happen, well...it's over. Let it die.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm not sure the comics industry CAN be saved. I think there are so many other entertainment distractions for people to do in the age of the internet, that settling down to read a comic just falls too short on the list of things to do.

BUT....

I'd like to see most of what others have already mentioned.

1. Get comics out to the masses again.
2. Drop "mega" events. I remember when cross overs between the Avengers and FF were rare and exciting. 
3. Drop any other ideas marketing comes up with. The marketing department killed the industry as much as direct market distribution did.
4. Write great, character-driven stories, not shock-value "what if" scenarios.
5. Quit back stabbing the characters.
6. Personally, I'd like to see artists stick to a book for about 12 issues or at least the entire story arc. I can't tell how many times I was interested in a book because of the artist, only to have that artist leave after an issue or two.
7. Develop new characters and make them interesting instead of endless derivatives.
8. Oh yeah....I'd like to see the books printed on newsprint again to bring down the cost. As much as I love to see the beautiful art in high-gloss "ultra" color, I'd give that up for good ol classic format comics again.
9. If the world is heading toward all digital, and I think that is just a matter of decades away, then digital comics should not cost the same as physical comics as they are cheaper to produce and distribute.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 30 June 2017 at 10:35pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

What you think they could do to fix things?

============================

Maybe if Marvel stopped being involved with the direct production of comics altogether, and licensed their books to third parties. The licensee would have to meet sales targets, or they would lose the license to a competitor. There would be different licenses covering the families of characters, like the X-Men and Spider-Man. To start out, no single licensee would have all the Marvel licenses available. The sheer competition would force publishers to make successful decisions. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 30 June 2017 at 11:09pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Everything that's happened since 1985 actually took place in the new universe created by the death of the Beyonder at the end of Secret Wars II. It's still there, we can still tell stories set there, but all the main titles return to the continuity of 1985 (it's now 2017, because Comic Book Time).

It's not the perfect reset point. We'd still have things like Magneto leading the X-Men, but it would clear away a lot of clutter. 

Do I think the current talent could or would play properly in that sandbox. No. But maybe there are some other people out there, old and new, who would.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 11  

Have the whole publishing line be reprints of Marvel back when it was good from the earliest FF issues to, I don't know, late 80's? Though I guess they already kind of do that with the TPBs and hardcovers from that time period that sell in perpetuity. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Guys? It's over. 

In another example of mindlink with Mr. Byrne, my first thought upon seeing this thread title was "time machine".

Since that's not gonna happen, well...it's over. Let it die.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
If you're going to reply with they can't fix it or it's too late. Please done bother posting in the thread. Things are negative enough already. I'm needing a little cheering up. Where as comics are concerned.

That was the very first thing I typed in the thread Greg. Your contribution doesn't add anything positive to the thread. That's really disappointing. Did you really need to post let it die?

If like JB you feel a time machine is the only way that Marvel can fix things that's cool. You can respond with that. But the negativity isn't wanted or needed. 

Greg, I would think that you would have some interesting ideas on how to fix things. That's what I want to read not 'let it die'.

If you've got some please share them. If you don't want to than just leave it at Time Machine.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version