Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The First Black Superhero at The Movies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It should be noted that for it's time and for being an R rated movie, the budget for the first Blade movie was pretty big. IIRC, because Snipes was a pretty big star at the time, the first Blade movie was given a bigger budget (between $50 million and $65 million) then it would have gotten if it starred a lesser known actor. And yes, Blade is a superhero. He isn't the first Black superhero to star in his own movie on the big screen, but he is the first Black Marvel hero to have his own movie, as well as having the distinction of being the first successful big screen Marvel movie (and the movie responsible for reigniting the public and Hollywood's interest in comic book superhero movies).
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Noted.

Again, though...

So, let's focus this differently so as to not get all mired in talk about what constitutes a big budget and so forth: The real discussion I was hoping would result in this thread is WHY is this film apparently more important than any other film with a black superhero to a good many fans out there? I stated what I think based on what I have watched on videos and read in articles and blogs, etc. What do YOU think is driving this feeling for the fans?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think there are several reasons why it's a big deal. Superheroes are big business right now. Bigger than they've ever been. Blade was big fish in a small pond. Black Panther is a much bigger fish in a vast ocean. It helps that he was a big hit in CA:Civil War.

There is also the social climate to consider. In this era of Black Lives Matter. The Black Panther represents a bright spot. We've got a character who is a positive force for good. He's powerful and intelligent and up to this point hasn't had been portrayed in some bad stereotypical manner.

And most importantly to me Chadwick Boseman was a great casting choice. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think the big deal is placing Black Panther on the same level as Cap, Thor and Iron Man in terms of leading a Marvel super hero film (and potential franchise.) The Avengers have become huge mainstream characters and instead of keeping Panther as a supporting character, he's getting pushed to the forefront with the big stars. I don't think the fact he's a black super hero is as big a deal as he's a black super hero starring in a Marvel movie, which is considered an A-list thing to do right now.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think the big deal is placing Black Panther on the same level as Cap, Thor and Iron Man in terms of leading a Marvel super hero film (and potential franchise.) The Avengers have become huge mainstream characters and instead of keeping Panther as a supporting character, he's getting pushed to the forefront with the big stars.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I agree
````````
 I don't think the fact he's a black super hero is as big a deal as he's a black super hero starring in a Marvel movie, which is considered an A-list thing to do right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think this depends upon your point of view. Being black maybe the most important issue for a black person.

For me it's being elevated to A list status.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I knew (and indeed know) little about Blade when the films come out save for a small black and white picture that was reprinted in Spider-Man, a UK reprint title, where they had a weekly feature of covering all Marvel's heroes from A to Z (pre-dating the OHTTMU by the several years). It wasn't a clear image and I always assumed the character was white.

Fast forward to when the Wesley Snipes film came and I assumed that the they had changed Blade's ethnicity to fit with the star in much the way that the recent versions of Deadshot and Human Torch did. I figured therefore that the film was not really going to have any Marvel connection other than the name so never bothered going to see it and more recently have never had the opportunity to do so.

So, obviously I now know that the character was black in the comics, but, that aside, how faithful is the film to the original material?

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The real discussion I was hoping would result in this thread is WHY is this film apparently more important than any other film with a black superhero to a good many fans out there? I stated what I think based on what I have watched on videos and read in articles and blogs, etc. What do YOU think is driving this feeling for the fans?

Because this is a Marvel Studios film. Like Pixar, Marvel Studios is a popular name brand that is now in the collective consciousness of the mainstream entertainment media and most moviegoers. Most, if not all, of those same moviegoers (as well as the mainstream entertainment media) either have forgotten about Blade or don't even know that Blade was a Marvel character.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So, obviously I now know that the character was black in the comics, but, that aside, how faithful is the film to the original material?

Except for him having to take a formula to suppress his blood lust (he never craved blood in the comics that were published before the first movie came out),Whistler (he had another mentor),and Deacon Frost being a young (he was an old guy), the movie was very faithful to the comic book version. I should also mention that in the comics, Blade was immune to the bites of vampire (he couldn't be turned into a vampire) and he had the ability to sense the presence of vampires and other mystical beings and objects. Also, Blade using swords and being physically stronger,faster,agile,and healing faster than a normal human were things that were added to the character in the early 90's several years before the character appeared on the 90's Spider-Man animated series and on the big screen. In fact, Blade's animated and movie appearance were based off of the early 90's version of the character.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Rick, for the potted biography.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Most, if not all, of those same moviegoers (as well as the mainstream entertainment media) either have forgotten about Blade or don't even know that Blade was a Marvel character.

And that is why BP is a big deal. Because he is the first black lead in something that is a big deal. The others are significant but arrived with little fanfare.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I may be wrong but I think a lot of people are saying big-budget when they are really thinking "produced by a major studio and aimed at a mainstream audience." I think "Meteor Man" deserves to be called the first major film about a black superhero, regardless of its budget (According to IMDB, it was made by MGM for $30 million.).
You could argue because it had a mostly black cast that it was aimed at a black audience. But I remember Marvel putting out a Meteor Man miniseries tie-in, which suggests to me it was aimed at a large audience.
That it wasn't successful (for various reasons) shouldn't detract from it being first.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version