Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Question for JB- Drawing Eyes on Spider-Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Why not use a gray tone for the highlights? I have no idea how the colors were done in printing then or why blue was the choice of black highlights, but it would seem natural (fro an artist at least) to use a lighter tone of black (i.e. grey) to convey black highlights.

Grey was more difficult to get consistent results (and therefore expensive). The danger was that you could 'lose' the highlighted area and couldn't predict what the finished product would look like.  The artist could in theory do a half tone on the original art with stippling or some other method but that means a slower rate if you are getting paid by the page.  The inconsistency of greys was one of the reasons why they switched the Hulk from grey to green early on and is probably the best known example.

Really dark colours also were problematic because they ended up looking indistinguishable from each other -- and became a muddy black.   If that really dark blue (IMO) that Ditko wanted to convey for Spider-mans costume would end up black anyway then it was easier to cut out the middleman and start with black and go backwards from there.  Spider-man transitioned to a regular book very quickly -- it's pretty well established that the content of ASM #1 and 2 were originally intended for subsequent issues of Amazing Fantasy -- and you can see once the ball started rolling on Spider-man that Ditko opened up the blacks to speed up the process.  The black with blue hightlights transitioned to a lighter, easier to depict solid blue pretty quckly.

(an interesting aside, Ditko went back to the black-with-blue highlights in ASM #28 for Spider-man's fight with the Molten Man *in the dark*)

The timeframes for the early Hulk comics in 1962 and the transition from grey to green are very close to when that final issue of Amazing Fantasy was being produced.   So if something wasn't working, why would you try it again elsewhere?
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 2  

For an example of interpretation of color ask this: What color is the sun?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

The same color as a burning light bulb. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm reminded once again of the animators who approached me in San Diego to ask the color of Storm's costume. "Black and yellow," I said. "Not white and yellow?" they asked. For a moment I was dumbfounded. They were reading the highlights as the color? Sure, in comics we often have colors not found in Nature, but they were not talking about a live-action version. These would be drawings, like in the comics.

They made her costume white.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5  

Why ask, if they don't like your answer?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 6  

That was my thought!!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Bragging rights- they wanted to be able to say "Yeah, John Byrne thought our stuff rocked!" Nothing quite like getting validation from the guy who made this stuff cool.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 8  

Nothing quite like getting validation from the guy who made this stuff cool.

••

Dave Cockrum?

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 9  

Why ask, if they don't like your answer?

My wife does this to me ALL the time....HA.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 10  

See, THAT'S the real heart of Storm's costume. They should have asked Dave Cockrum....

...who would have answered "Black and yellow."

These people don't seem to want to get it right; they want to validate THEIR answer as the right one. They might have gone through Marvel creators until they finally got one who said, "White and yellow", and then claimed, "But Marvel said that's how it should be!"

Retards.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version