Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: HAN SOLO loses director (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

Shooting started in January with a release date set for next year, but directors Phil Lord and Christoper Miller are off the project.

"Creative differences" cited as the reason...
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not a fan of the idea of Han Solo prequel to begin with, but for me, if there any selling point at all, it was this duo as the directors of the project.

Kind of a bummer... though I wonder if (based on their past work) they were trying to make it too much of a zany--or maybe even raunchy!--comedy, perhaps?

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Shaun B: "... though I wonder if (based on their past work) they were trying to make it too much of a zany--or maybe even raunchy!--comedy, perhaps?"

I doubt they were trying to make it a zany comedy - I think it is more likely that they could not get a hold on the dramatic tone of the Star Wars universe.

I had high hopes for them on this movie. I very much liked how the Russo brothers made a successful transition from comedic work to very strong Marvel films, and I was hoping Lord and Miller would have a similar trajectory.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2017 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 4  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-
vision/star-wars-why-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-101 5474

QUOTE:
Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic
sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to
the written word — what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in
understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han
Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said that source.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 5  

Get Quentin Tarantino to direct it...

*Turns sarcasm off*

(Here's a thought, though: If Tarantino did direct it, would Mace Windu turn up alive and call someone a motherf*cker?)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 22 June 2017 at 6:10am

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 6  

When the guy who wrote THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RAIDERS
OF THE LOST ARK, directed THE BIG CHILL, SILVERADO and
CONTINENTAL DIVIDE, tells you that your getting the
character wrong, you change direction.

When the studio head, who happens to be the most
successful producer Hollywood has ever seen, tells you
that your getting the character wrong, you change
direction.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 22 June 2017 at 7:32am

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't know what to make of this!  On the one hand, I am a big fan of Lawrence Kasden - THE BIG CHILL and SILVERADO are two favorites.  But how did this movie get so deep into production to make this change? 

The AV Club is reporting that Ron Howard is in talks to direct.  I like some of Howard's work, so I would be interested to see this.  I would prefer to see Kasden get back into the director chair.  I think that would be the best choice creatively since he was involved in the writing, and it would be best for the increasingly weird narrative that is now a part of this film.  Directors have been fired before, but this is very high profile and with high fan interest.  Having Kasden direct would be an apt move for the series - he is a big part of Star Wars' history, but has not directed one of the films before.  His "homecoming" would eclipse this messy news when the film is released.  And since he didn't like the original direction, there is a "you break it you bought it" aspect - he can show us what he wants by directing it himself.

Also, do they reshoot the whole movie?  The scenes that have been shot that don't work will be some of the most sought after cut footage since Zemeckis fired Eric Stoltz on BACK TO THE FUTURE (and that had no anticipation before release).  What do you do with this footage?  Release it and let the internet go wild with speculation about what could have been, or bury it?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 8  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-
solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm trying to think of a less interesting director at Howard's level and I'm drawing a blank.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm trying to think of a less interesting director at Howard's level and I'm
drawing a blank.

-----

Ridley Scott?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ron Howard directing actually makes me more likely to watch, considering I thought a Han Solo prequel was a bad idea and I don't like the choice of actor to play the lead.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well my level of interest just went up. I really had no intention of seeing this movie. But now I'm willing to give it ago. I've liked Ron Howard's films.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 13  

I am optimistic - I think Ron Howard is good when he has a solid script, and I bet he will collaborate with Kasden in a way that Lord & Miller were not.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 14  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-s olo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-e xit-1016619

QUOTE:
The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.

Ouch.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 15  

Was it a slow clap though? :)

Ron Howard's made a lot of films and I'd say there's more good than bad in his CV. Rush, Frost/Nixon, Apollo 13 were all excellent films.

And he knows George Lucas from all the way back before Star Wars! (coincidentally, his American Graffiti co-star Charles Martin Smith was considered a strong contender for the part of Luke once upon a time).

Still think a Han prequel is a horrible idea. Han's arc is interesting as an intersection of his selfish, greedy world with Luke's genuinely good cause.

Either you accept that helping the rebellion beat the Empire is the highlight of Han's story -- and therefore accept a prequel as pointless -- or you try and make the prequel story as important and thereby diminish the original.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 16  

Thanks for posting that, Michael - very interesting. This is looking like a positive change

I think Lucasfilm will find its footing in choosing directors that both have the freedom to do what they want while keeping in line with the production studio.

I think one of the issues here is that the Lucasfilm doesn't have a strong "house style" since George Lucas left. Lucasfilm has always been about what George Lucas wanted to do, which had varying degrees of quality.   

While the prequels get heavy criticism, I think George Lucas' real CLONE WARS legacy will be the animated series, which was on an excellent run by the time it wrapped up. Lucas was very involved as a producer, but he left the writing and directing to others. We see that continue with REBELS, which I like a lot although I think the series is not as strong as CLONE WARS.

Hopefully the movies will exhibit the energy of the CLONE WARS and REBELS TV shows.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 17  

I caught a few minutes of THE FORCE AWAKENS the other night, having seen the whole movie a while ago. I am genuinely moved when I hear the music and see the look of the film -- and that really ticks me off.

This news does not inspire me.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 18  

Note the addendum in the article that now says:

"The applause came at the end of the meeting in which the departure of Lord and Miller was announced and they were informed a new director would be arriving. These sources say the mood at the meeting was somber but there was applause "in support of the movie" (not in support of Lord and Miller's departure)."

Interesting comparison of Kasdan insisting the lines are spoken word for word with the original film -- Mark Hamill told a tale once of how he took at look at Harrison Ford's script and saw that Ford had put red lines through passages and rewritten his own dialogue in places.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 19  

caught a few minutes of THE FORCE AWAKENS the other night, having seen the whole movie a while ago. I am genuinely moved when I hear the music and see the look of the film -- and that really ticks me off.

This news does not inspire me.

+++++++

Yeah, TFA looks great, aside from suffering a bit from the teal/orange color-grading which plagues so many modern films.

And, speaking of the music, I gotta say that the use of the "Binary Sunset" music from STAR WARS in the final scene kinda annoyed me. It worked in a full circle way for JEDI. It made a certain sense to use it in CLONES, since Anakin is standing in exactly the same spot where Luke will be looking at the twin suns, 20 years later. It worked really well in SITH, with Luke getting handed off to Owen and Beru, since that particular music (and that moment in the original film) is so iconic, and reusing it at (what we thought was) the end of the series hits the right full-circle emotional tone.

Its use in TFA, though, feels more like Abrams trying to hit the nostalgia centers of the fans, rather than the music having any particular narrative or thematic meaning. Nostalgia-milking, in other words.

On a similar note, they replaced new, original music with a literal cut-and-paste job from STAR WARS (the scene where Luke finds the remains of his aunt and uncle) for the moment when Rey catches the lightsaber. So annoying.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2017 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 20  

QUOTE:
On a similar note, they replaced new, original music with a literal cut-and-paste job from STAR WARS (the scene where Luke finds the remains of his aunt and uncle) for the moment when Rey catches the lightsaber. So annoying.

Greg, do you mean TFA's music was changed for the home video release? I hadn't noticed. (I have the video on Amazon, if that makes a difference.)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 21  

No, the original music as scored and recorded for that moment in TFA was replaced with a snippet of a cue from the original STAR WARS, both in the theatrical release and the home media versions. The original version of the cue is on the soundtrack album, I believe.

EDIT: I found a video where someone spliced in the original cue as recorded for the scene.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 27 June 2017 at 1:04am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2017 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 22  

You may have found a video Greg, but it looks like so did the lawyers as it's now gone, baby, gone

I'd be interested to  hear/see it though, as I do think the cut/splice did work very well in the context that it occurred - but then, I really, really, love that musical cue. It's one of my favourites.

Edited by James Woodcock on 28 June 2017 at 2:08am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 23  

Greg's comment made me go back and review the scene on YouTube with the spliced cue and it sounds a bit clunky to me. The bit where the music is supposed to segue into an Imperial fanfare suddenly fades and the proper score resumes. It's odd, because Williams' scored version (as heard on the Force Awakens album) isn't that different anyway. It still uses the force theme at that moment, but doesn't use the string counterpoint from the Burning Homestead cue.

I didn't notice it when I saw the film in the theatre, but you'd think they could afford John Williams a bit more respect.

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 June 2017 at 8:07am

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 24  

Greg normally I agree with you, but the BINARY SUNSET que,
is Luke's theme. Why would you not use it?

Also, Ive qued the Hoth hangar scene with the original
score qued in that wasn't used, and it's too much. What
does this have to do with the Rey scene? Not every que
Williams creates works for the scene it's intended. I
personally don't think the score created for the scene
where Rey catches the lightsaber is as powerful as the
BURNING HOMESTEAD cut in.

Being that editing and music was being changed late into
the post production schedule and that Williams recorded in
LA so he could be as involved as possible, he could've
been involved with the music being cut in.

We simply don't know.
It may be fair to lay this at Abrams' feet, or it may be
completely unfair to do so.

I truly believe that Williams will be remembered 200 yrs
from now as the 20th century's Beethoven. But, he is human
and not unfalible

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 25  

Greg normally I agree with you, but the BINARY SUNSET que, 
is Luke's theme. Why would you not use it?

+++++++

Important note: The main STAR WARS theme is Luke's theme. The "Binary Sunset" theme is the theme for Ben Kenobi, which later became the all-purpose "Force" theme.

That particular orchestration of the theme (the second use of the Kenobi/Force theme to appear in the film, after its brief introduction,when Leia places the Death Star plans inside Artoo) is very much related to Luke's longing for adventure and the destiny that's waiting for him. Using it over Vader's funeral pyre in JEDI made sense, because that scene represented the end of Luke's journey as seen in the overall trilogy. Its use in CLONES was sort of a call-forward, since Anakin's standing in the same spot, looking at the suns. Same with SITH.

Its use in TFA, like the film itself, just felt like an unearned retread taking pains to seem important and profound, without actually being either. Or, maybe it's just one trip too many to that particular musical well. I dunno. YMMV. 

That moment of Luke looking at the suns setting is surely one of the most iconic moments in movie history (particularly movie music history), and the constant musical callbacks are starting to take away its specialness, y'know?

Incidentally, the cue that Williams originally recorded for the "Binary Sunset" scene didn't use a leitmotif, and was more mysterious and dark. An interesting cue, but the final version is just perfect, since it really gets into the emotion of the character and the moment, rather than trying to convey a sense of atmosphere. A soaring, impassioned version of Ben's theme is heard as Luke longs for escape and adventure, little knowing that his adventure will begin the very next morning (and the music hints at this as he goes back to the garage, when a quiet version of the Rebel theme can be heard before he finds out that Artoo is missing).

Man, I love John Williams.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 29 June 2017 at 10:12pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version