Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The first 4 were... WOW !
But yeah, too little of the small town.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm still making my way through the original series before watching the new shows. It's wonderful to revisit this after so many years. The second season is much better than I remember - I don't think I was as open to the second season shows when I was younger.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The second season was fine except for a handful of the subplots that just dragged on and were silly.  The oft-cited James subplot ranks up there as the worst.  On my re-watch, I found myself fast forwarding.  I sort of liked the idea of Donna saving him, but he never should have left in the first place.  He was, remember, one of the Bookhouse Boys, dedicated to fighting the evil around Twin Peaks.  (Would like to add that Sheriff Truman's brother Frank (Robert Forster in the new series) is also a Bookhouse Boy, as depicted in Mark Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks).

Watched Episode 5 with some friends last night.  The nasty drug-dealer towards the end of the episode (who grabs the girl by the throat) is credited as Richard Horne.  The actor looks a *lot* like Jerry, but some have speculated that his mother is Audrey. 

In this age of streaming series and binge watching, it's both refreshing and frustrating that this show is airing once a week.  The anticipation, however, is something I remember from the old days, and it's fun to be able to spend a week speculating and theorizing.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We need to get us a spoiler tag going so we can properly discuss this show.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"In this age of streaming series and binge watching, it's both refreshing and frustrating that this show is airing once a week.  The anticipation, however, is something I remember from the old days, and it's fun to be able to spend a week speculating and theorizing."

That's exactly why Lynch wanted it to air weekly. He wants the viewers to have time to digest and think about what they've seen instead of just dumping the whole thing on us at once. Naturally, the modern audience with their shorter attention spans and binge watching habits are complaining about it, lol.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Feel free to discuss the show openly for there are....

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I sincerely hope we get some development on Cooper soon. Watching him parading about like a fool is funny for an episode or two, but it gets old fast. I want to the REAL Cooper we all know and love back in action soon.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks for the Spoiler tag Matt.  Now I can start posting theories.

First, Annie theory:

Heather Graham isn't back on the show, but it goes farther than that.  Not only has no one mentioned Annie in any way on the new show, she is never mentioned in the 'Secret History of Twin Peaks'.  At all.  Including the book having a different person win Miss Twin Peaks.

Somebody asked about the Missing Pieces earlier, and I said there wasn't much there.  Now that the new series is unfolding, I think I was wrong.  Put this scene together with Dougie Jones' fate:

I think Annie was manufactured by Bob.  Bob wanted revenge on Cooper for what happened with Leland, so he manufactured Annie as bair, then manipulated Windom Earle to lure Cooper into the lodge so that he could use the doppleganger to escape again and keep killing.  Then when 25 years was up and he was going to have to switch back, he manufactured Dougie so Coop would switch instead. Even with that trick, the two can't coexist on Earth, and so he set up real Coop, who everyone thinks is Dougie, to be killed, leaving him the last man standing.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Second, opening of Episode 3 theory:

According to Fire Walk With Me, the lodge spirits cross over between worlds using electricity.  Coop arrives at the bridge between the two worlds at the time when the switch is about to take place.  The first spirit he meets is trying to help him.  The bridge is set for AC, alternating current, which is why the world keeps jumping back and forth and there's the AC outlet there.  The good spirit knows that they're trying to trick Coop into going back through the AC outlet and switching with Dougie instead of Doppelcoop, so she warns him away, and takes him upstairs where she throws the lever to switch the bridge to DC.  The metal shape up top is inside of a cigarette lighter outlet, so that he can switch with Doppelcoop in his car.  This is why Doppelcoop starts to transition.  She has to sacrifice herself in order to do this.

Coop doesn't understand though, and goes back down the ladder inside, where he runs into Ronette Pulaski.  She's a black lodge spirit, as evidenced by how she speaks.  She gets Coop to go ahead and return through the AC outlet and switch with Dougie, so Doppelcoop's plan ends up working, and he remains on earth.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have seen similar theories to yours on Reddit and the Twin Peaks message board at dugpa.com. The only thing I'd note is that Phoebe Augustine is credited as "American Girl" in that scene and not Ronette.  I think that was deliberate and that it's not supposed to be Ronette.

I'm starting to come around on the Annie thing.  Mark Frost was asked about the "mistakes" in Secret History and said that "All Will Be Revealed."  He also was quoted as saying that he had to remove a large chunk of the book because it spoiled Twin Peaks: The Return.  It will be published a couple months after the season ends on Halloween, called The Final Dossier. 

Back to Annie, I just don't know how/why Norma went along with having a sister come out of nowhere, that's the only part that confuses me.  Some people were beginning to doubt that DoppelCoop even had Bob inside of him, but they put that to rest in episode 5. 

The gray entity in the box seems tied to the creation of Dougie.  It appears to be holding a gold sphere.  It looks like the inverse of the body in Buckhorn, SD.  (Male head, female body, though it switches back and forth).  Then we find out that the body in Buckhorn is probably Major Briggs, who had Dougie's wedding ring in his gullet. (and whose headless body Coop saw floating in space).

BTW, I recommend the message board over at Dugpa.com if you want some reasonable Twin Peaks discussion.  Lots of bright people and ver few a-holes. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Episode 6 was very strong. I believe things are starting to make som weird kind of sense.

And Albert's "tribute" to Gene Kelly had me laughing out loud.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2017 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dougie in the black suit gives me hope.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Freeze Framed the papers found by Hawk in the bathroom.  You can make out the word Annie! 

I finally got around to watching the missing pieces.  There are a few relevant clips.  Lucy gets freaked out by people she thinks she's talking to on the intercom walking into the room.  Very similar to the scene with the cell phone and Frank Truman.

The extended "Convenience Store" scene coupled with the extended Philip Jeffries stuff is certainly relevant. 

There's also the stuff with the ring.  (It is on Annie's finger in the hospital and the nurse steals it). 

DoppleCoop talks a lot like Evil Coop from the new series. 

The Dwarf actually says "Is It Future, or Is It Past?" 

Anyway, lots of interesting morsels. 

Chet Desmond and Annie are definitely my two biggest unanswered questions of FWWM. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I have a feeling that what Hawk found were the lost pages of Laura Palmer's diary, where she wrote down Annie's message about being trapped in the Black Lodge with Cooper.  I also predict that once they're read, everyone will say, "Who's Annie?"

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Well, that episode certainly cleared a few things up.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I was half right in my prediction.  It was interesting though, vis a vis Annie theories, that Hawk described her as basically a girl who went into the lodge.  Nothing about being Norma down at the diner's sister or any of that.

Also, I love that since they couldn't get Michael Ontkean, Harry Truman is just going to be on the other end of the phone through this whole series, apparently.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I would love (but I don't expect it) if Harry was not sick. He's simply unavailable because he's watching the skies, as Dougie Midford did in SHOTP.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I am loving it so far.
Just watched episode seven and it is getting better and better for me.
I do not hold deep knowledge of the series, but it might change soon, as my interest is growing as the story unfolds.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

At the very least, I would encourage you to watch "The Missing Pieces" from the Fire Walk With Me movie.  They came with the BluRay box set, but they are also available on YouTube if you look.  Some of the scenes in the new series directly relate to those cut scenes!

If you really want to dive deep, check out The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Thank you for the hint Jozef, much appreciated.
I will do as you recommend and comment here later.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I have yet to find the whole Missing Pieces (no bluray player, plus I bought the whole thing twice already). I only saw a few clips and yes, what I saw is important. SHOTP, however, as all the books, adds very little.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2017 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The Secret History of Twin Peaks adds some background flavour to the settings but offers little in terms of real information regarding the plot of the show. It should be noted, though, that the book was heavily edited to avoid spoiling events from the revival and that a lot of the deleted material forms the basis of the second book Frost has coming out in October.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

At one point in Secret HistoryDoug Milford is shown a gray "alien" in captivity that is described a lot like the thing in Episode 2 that comes out of the glass box.  As Christopher mentioned, Mark Frost removed a bunch of stuff from Secret History that spoiled the new season.  There is still plenty of background information and some puzzles that can be solved.

Frank Truman is established as having been the Sheriff in Twin Peaks before moving to Western Washington and putting his brother Harry in charge.  That explains why he's not completely knowledgeable of all of the minutia of the Laura Palmer case. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version