Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Twin Peaks (2017) ~ SPOILERS Start Pg 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I just caught up with the series last night - I watched seasons one and two over a month, and then I raced through the new episodes in a matter of days.

I think it is fantastic - I loved episode eight, and I love the narrative episodes. So much to process about this, so I was following the analysis of each episode by The AV Club and Rolling Stone.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tim, have you watched Fire Walk With Me (and the Missing Pieces scenes?).  I've been amazed at how much the new show ties into that material. 
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The hobos or woodsmen or whatever are stand-out creepy as hell.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jozef - so sorry I missed your comment when you originally posted it!

I did not revisit FIRE WALK WITH ME after I watched the original series.  I didn't like it in the theater when it was released, and I didn't want to kill the buzz I was on after watching the last episode of the original series, which I thought was exceptional.

Now that I am enjoying the new series so much, I am thinking about watching it again.  I think my tastes have changed since that film came out, lo these many years ago, and I would be more open to it.

I though Sunday's episode was excellent.  The supernatural scenes were pitch perfect.  The only thing I can fault the new show on is the humor - it does not always hit its mark.  But I found all of Dougie/Dale Cooper's scenes to be very funny.  The misunderstandings about Dougie's comprehension were played so well here, and it has not always worked.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The new series is much more in line with FWWM with regards to the tone of the piece than it is with the original series. A lot of casual viewers didn't realize that would be the case and are having a hard time accepting why the third season isn't more like the first two. Lynch wasn't happy with how the series went and changed the tone when he made the movie to get the property more in line with what he wanted it to be and should have served as an indication of what to expect from the revival.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And there are direct callbacks to stuff in the missing pieces.  Clearly Lynch's heart lies with that material. 

The movie was a slight letdown to me when I saw it (opening night no less) because I thought he was going to resolve the cliffhanger, but that wasn't the case obviously.  As time as gone on I've come to appreciate FWWM a lot more.  I still recommend that people watch it after episode 29 of course. 

The Missing Pieces, included in the blu-ray set, actually include a ton of stuff about the characters from the show and there is one "continuation" scene that was shot as well. 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In addition to the "Epilogue" scene, my favorite of the missing pieces was the scene in which Dr. Hayward has a conversation with Laura about angels. It resonates in the film with the scene where the angel has vanished from the painting in her room and makes the ending sequence of the film more pay off better.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Episode 11 was great, but I confess that I am getting annoyed with the direction the story is taking with regards to Agent Cooper. He is the hero of the show and, even though the actor is doing a superb job playing Dougie Jones and Evil Cooper, I really miss the real Agent Cooper.

This week I found about the passing of Miguel Ferrer. Such a big loss and another superb actor that dies too young.

Cannot wait for Monday (Netflix Brazil only makes the new episode available on Monday).

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Episode 12 was a huge disappointment. It felt more like scenes that were not going to be used attached to make another episode. I cannot get why so many characters from previous seasons keep appearing without any role or purpose. Not to mention random characters appearing at the road house. Audrey finally returned and .... it could have been so much better.
And what about the scenes created deliberately to delay the story? Some are really funny, but man... 
We are only 6 episodes to the end and I am feeling the cliffhanger and unresolved situations getting worse than season 2. The whole dynamics are getting frustrating... Hope I am wrong.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My guess is that we won't get everything wrapped up neatly. That isn't David Lynch's way. BUT, I do expect the ride to continue to be interesting and fun.

i would like a few more loose ends and briefly introduced characters to be tied in together more before it's over but I'm enjoying the ride quite a lot. 

Episode 12 wasn't the strongest episode but it did have important elements in it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I made the mistake of believing the hype.  A bunch of people involved with the show made some statements that made it sound like we were getting something along the lines of Episode 8.  That, combined with the episode title, made a lot of people raise their expectations. 

In the end, the only parts I didn't care for was the Dr. Amp scene that re-used portions of the previous one, and 5 minutes of Gordon Cole's paramour leaving the room. 

The Audrey scene was jarring at first, but on my re-watch I am more intrigued.  Some people suspect she's still in a coma.  Some people have assigned the names in her rant to other characters...so who knows.  I hope it becomes clear.  She stated that Lynch won her over with the part that was written for her, so we'll see. 

Sarah Palmer stuff was super strong.  Convenience Store music cues combined with her weird voice.  (which she uses again for one line when Hawk visits her later). 

Diane saying Let's rock (again with the FWWM music cue).

I also wasn't too fond of the seemingly meaningless conversation in the Roadhouse.  Maybe all of these will tie in to each other, but as it stands it seemed like a waste of screen time. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Let's hope Sunday comes with better material. 
It was sad to think that Miguel Ferrer is dead after that scene in which Gordon is touching him in the shoulder...

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Another disappointment. The show is over for me. I am just following it to the end to justify the 13 hours that I invested so far. Episode 13 was bad. Really bad. Sad.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Episode 14 = Thumbs up

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I liked both 13 and 14.  12 was the only one I found disappointing initially, but on rewatch (and with more context from 13 and 14) I appreciate it a little more. 

The Truman/Hawk/Andy in the woods was great.  I love that it's Andy taken to the White Lodge.  Did you guys notice that they all returned to the spot where the dirt in their pockets came from?  I found that interesting.  I didn't notice this myself, but the tree stump that Bobby takes them to resembles greatly the castle in the Mauve zone?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yes, it would appear that as the Black Lodge entrance is located in Glastonbury Grove, the entrance to the White Lodge is located near that funky looking tree stump. Everything is starting to come together and it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Good catch Jozef, I haven't notice that.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

With the FBI and TP Sheriff's Department on the case the plot has finally reached the point I thought it'd be around episode 2. I'm enjoying the show immensely. Holy hell has it defied expectations. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I love this show, and the last two episodes have been thrilling, funny, and terrifying to watch. What a ride!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Great episode this week! Some fan-pleasing and sweet moments, and the usual weirdness. Feels like the story is coming together. Come next week, let's hope Cooper is back to his old self.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version