Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's not a good idea to use the term "anachronistic" when describing a story set in the Future. If a character in a story set 400 years ago is listening to the Beatles on a transistor radio, we have an anachronism. If a character in a story set 400 years in the Future is doing the same, then we have, at worst, an affectation. We have no way of knowing what will be back in fashion a year from now, let alone centuries hence!

That's a valid point, sir. And another reason why the MacFarlane pop culture referencing that he's known for from his other shows doesn't really bother me on the Orville. Who would have thought that at the time that it came out that "Shakespeare" would still be as popular as it is today? So, yes, it's quite likely that some of our pop culture will be considered classics in the future. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ryker and his Jazz?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ok so......sounds like the Orville is a whole lot faster than the Enterprise.

10 light years per hour!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Who would have thought that at the time that it came out that "Shakespeare" would still be as popular as it is today?

••

"Shakespeare" even fell out of fashion for a while, in the 17th Century! I'll bet people at that time could not imagine the Works every returning to popularity.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Same for Bach, he was forgotten and 'rediscovered'.

I firmly believe that any artist has to go through a period where their work is either loathed or ignored by the public at large before they are considered 'classics'.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Semi on-topic: one detail that really stuck out to me in Arthur C. Clarke's '2061' was a bit where a character decided to codename a floating diamond mountain (long story) "Lucy," figuring that no-one would understand the obscure reference in his communiqués. That bit was clever, but Clarke's clear editorializing in the text that the Beatles would be a completely forgotten footnote by the titular year struck me as a little over the top then, even moreso now.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Shane -  you described this as a comedy. Is that an official description, or your impression? Because I'm watching a sci-fi drama with funny moments... which even occurred on TOS.

I loved that this episode completely verified that teleportation is NOT in its Orville, but in the future.

And both practical jokes were HILARIOUS! It took me a moment to appreciate the second one, until I realized that in the future, medical technology is so advanced that it wasn't the catastrophe it seemed.

Just enjoying this show more and more.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I continue to be impressed by each episode of THE ORVILLE. I hope it stays
around (and maintains this level of quality) for a while.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I firmly believe that any artist has to go through a period where their work is either loathed or ignored by the public at large before they are considered 'classics'.

•••

Certainly happened to Jack Kirby! He'd become "Jack the Hack" before the Image boys rehabilitated him in service of their own agenda.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric, that's more of the official description and how it's been advertised rather than my impression, though I think it's both comedy and drama and a good mix of the two, though it does lean more to the drama which, in my opinion, is the way to go. I love this show. I hope it stays great and gets renewed. MacFarlane has a lot of pull with Fox and I'm sure that can't hurt. And I don't know if I've laughed at anything harder this year than Isaac's practical joke. Not sure what that says about my sense of humor. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 08 October 2017 at 1:06pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Certainly happened to Jack Kirby! He'd become "Jack the Hack" before the Image boys rehabilitated him in service of their own agenda.

One of the few good things that came out of early Image despite their less than pure intentions. I have to admit my impression of Kirby as a kid was not a positive one, but it was because I was started reading late 70's Marvel and the stuff Kirby did during that period did not compare to his Fantastic Four run or any of his earlier Marvel stuff or even his earlier stuff in the 70's on New Gods. To me his art looked "dated" and "stiff" compared to the stuff everyone else was doing. As I grew up and was later exposed to Kirby's best work and my tastes evolved, I grew to love all of his work, including the stuff I hadn't enjoyed the first time as a kid. Kind of ashamed to admit that I had to grow to love Kirby's work when all of my favorite artists that I originally loved were influenced by him.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
If destroying the worm hole means she was never "there", doesn't that mean the Orville would be destroyed in the Dark Matter storm since she didn't show up to save them?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Time travel is tricky! I suspect what MacFarlane intended was that destroying the wormhole AFTER the Orville had been saved left that part of the timeline intact.

Doesn't really work, but TOS played fast and loose with those things. (See especially "Tomorrow is Yesterday".)

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes  give The Orville 20%, but the audience score is 91%. Lets hope the audience score holds more sway with the network.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes  give The Orville 20%, but the audience score is 91%. Lets hope the audience score holds more sway with the network.

------

Reading the reviews, I got the impression that a lot of the critics were hoping for another GALAXY QUEST and were disappointed they got something that was more straight-up STAR TREK with some of MacFarlane's pop culture joke sprinkled in.

Seth MacFarlane is such a big deal at Fox that I wouldn't be surprised if THE ORVILLE got a renewal even if the ratings dropped down to bubble territory. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The critics (on the whole) have shown themselves to be knobjocks of the highest order with that 20%. Fair play, of course, to the minority that have given the show a thumbs up (for example, this guy writing in Forbes: LINK)

I will at this point offer my thanks to those of you on this board who championed the show, which led me to go back and catch up on the first few episodes on demand... Because it is a genuinely quality piece of entertainment.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Interview: Seth MacFarlane On The Orville's Unique Tone, 'Star Trek' Roots

Very interesting article - I had no idea that he had actually pitched a new STAR TREK show to CBS a few years back. That makes me suspect even more that perhaps MacFarlane would have been prefectly happy to play THE ORVILLE completely straight, and maybe FOX execs asked for the comedy bits to be added since that's what audiences know him for.

In any case, he really seems to Get It.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think a big part of why THE ORVILLE works is because it doesn't suffer from the baggage and pressure of literally trying to be STAR TREK.

Divorced from the name and the legacy, it can do TREK without being judged as TREK.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Cool article, thanks, Greg!

As for the last episode and time travel:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
MY reasoning for her disappearing the way she did is that she was "tethered" to her own time.  She couldn't remain in the past once wormhole was destroyed.  Time wouldn't allow her to stay "out of time".  May not be accurate, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Still in the midst of tonight's episode but I am liking it a lot.  Enjoyed seeing Kelly Hu...hope her character is reoccurring.

The religious angle tonight is interesting.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

This one seemed a bit forced to me. The humor and the plot.

Still, I'm nowhere near done with this show.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Ok episode. Yes the humor was heavy handed. And the topic was just plane heavy. 

After just reading STNV couldn't help but notice the R.H.I.P. coincidence. 
Like JB was channeling the ORVILLE or vice versa. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Well, maybe we were both channeling Commodore Mendez....

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Ha, yes. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I have only seen the first episode (Thanks Didier for the recommendation) and I was presently surprised. Like many others, I thought it was going to be Galaxy Quest 2 but it most definitely is not. Looking forward to watching future episodes. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version